Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 12:24 PM

9,073 posts, read 20,499,587 times

Advertisements

First, we are early Baby Boomers, that being I'm 72 and my wife just turned 74. We have been married for almost 21 years and together for 22. For a number of years, I was a Team Roper "header" and an AQHA member. Did not rodeo full-time; weekends only. Worked for a electronics full-time. We are very, very much into Western stuff, like PRCA rodeo, but I no longer compete. Our apartment is made up of pictures of PRCA World Champions we've met, old Western tv shows I use to watch, Old West people (Anne Oakley, Buffalo Bill Cody and Indian Chiefs).

We moved to Colorado, the first time, in June 2002, and stayed until Oct 2007. We moved to both North Carolina (1 yr.) and then to northeastern Florida (10 1/2 yrs), before returning to Colorado and now living just south of Ft. Collins. After 10 1/2 years, we'd had enough of Florida and REALLY missed the mountains, elk and even winter. People we talked to about returning to Colorado, thought we were nuts!

But, as already stated, we love rodeo, mountains, wildlife, photography, powerboating/fishing and western wear.

I read the Prescott was ranked #2, in the Top 10, for Western towns/cities, in True West Magazine 2022. Where we live, basically speaking, not "western" at all. However, a person can wear a cowboy hat and not be looked at weird, like when we lived in northeastern Florida. I also read that the median age in Prescott is 58, which is rather nice. Tons of young folks live here that look like they just arrived from Los Angeles. Actually, people here in northern Colorado call Denver "Colorado's version of Los Angeles".

Anyway, thoughts? Would Prescott solve our "need Western stuff" problem? There is a big rodeo there. I'm full retired, but my wife isn't. She works for a company from home, but, at 74, it's not easy for her to find basically any job. Neither of us are on a Pension. Only a nice savings and SS, but we make it.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:37 AM

Sure would like to hear from someone that lives, or use to live, in Prescott. IOW, we REALLY need info. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2022, 10:45 AM

559 posts, read 991,458 times
Quote:
we love rodeo, mountains, wildlife, photography, powerboating/fishing and western wear.
Everything except power boating is right in this area. And the mountains are not quite Colorado-class. There's a lot of clubs and volunteer opportunities also.

See if you can afford the real estate. PAAR (Prescott Area Association of Realtors) has a website and an iOS app you can use to scout the real estate in the area. Other living expenses are low or average here.

One major thing for me is the mild four season climate. Only a few snow events, most of which melt off quickly, and if you live up high enough you can live without A/C in the summer.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
Everything except power boating is right in this area. And the mountains are not quite Colorado-class. There's a lot of clubs and volunteer opportunities also.

See if you can afford the real estate. PAAR (Prescott Area Association of Realtors) has a website and an iOS app you can use to scout the real estate in the area. Other living expenses are low or average here.

One major thing for me is the mild four season climate. Only a few snow events, most of which melt off quickly, and if you live up high enough you can live without A/C in the summer.
First, thanks so, so much for you reply.

We are thinking that this will the last summer for our boat. There are a few lakes close to Prescott, but none are for gasoline boats, that I could see. As far as buying a house, that just isn't going to happen. Don't have the finances for that. Can only rent an apartment.

I read that the median age of Prescott is 58. Is that true?

As far as "clubs" go, what do you mean? We wouldn't be looking for any volunteering stuff.

Funny, but when we moved here to Colorado the first time (2002), we were told that the snow here goes away within a day or two. That turned out to be very, very untrue.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:26 AM

559 posts, read 991,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I read that the median age of Prescott is 58. Is that true?
Sounds about right. Prescott is a retirement town. The average age would be lower for Prescott Valley and the smaller towns in the metro area.

Quote:
As far as "clubs" go, what do you mean? We wouldn't be looking for any volunteering stuff.
I'm a member of the local Apple user group, for example. There is a western re-enactor group that hangs out downtown and does gun fights for the tourists. There's classic car clubs. Tons of others, mostly I'm unaware of.

Many people take OLLI (lifelong learning) classes at Yavapai College for fun and meet people there.

Quote:
Funny, but when we moved here to Colorado the first time (2002), we were told that the snow here goes away within a day or two. That turned out to be very, very untrue.
It's all about the elevation. I'm at 5550 ft in Prescott. Prescott Valley is more like 4000 ft.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:24 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,828,651 times
You will fit right in here......consider living a bit north of downtown and you will find rents/mortgages a lot lower. You might be able to stretch into a manufactured home on an acre for payments less than what rent would be.....

We went to a restaurant last week and were pleased to see a lot of hats....lots....this is very real cowboy country. The rodeo is among the best I've ever been to, and it lasts a whole week! Along with the Frontier Days celebration....lots of fun!

Old 02-17-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You will fit right in here......consider living a bit north of downtown and you will find rents/mortgages a lot lower. You might be able to stretch into a manufactured home on an acre for payments less than what rent would be.....

We went to a restaurant last week and were pleased to see a lot of hats....lots....this is very real cowboy country. The rodeo is among the best I've ever been to, and it lasts a whole week! Along with the Frontier Days celebration....lots of fun!
So, unlike Cheyenne, Wyoming, which goes back to "big city" after Cheyenne Frontier Days in July, Prescott is pretty much always "western"? I remember a couple of years ago, we drove up to Cheyenne to check it out for moving there. We went to Frontier Mall, I put on my black felt hat and wore it in. I got all kinds of "looks" from folks, sort of like "don't you know that the rodeo days (Cheyenne Frontier Days) are over?"

Just to let you know, Prescott is still in our thoughts.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So, unlike Cheyenne, Wyoming, which goes back to "big city" after Cheyenne Frontier Days in July, Prescott is pretty much always "western"?
Yes, IMO. Especially if you go even a few miles out of downtown Prescott or Prescott Valley. But even downtown is usually pretty cowboyed up, esp on weekends.....

Old 02-17-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yes, IMO. Especially if you go even a few miles out of downtown Prescott or Prescott Valley. But even downtown is usually pretty cowboyed up, esp on weekends.....
Thank you so very much for the info. Wonder if we'll have to make a trip (airlines) to Prescott this coming summer to check it out. Perhaps be there for your rodeo. So many people make the comment, "visit before moving" is very easy to say, but not so easy financially.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you so very much for the info. Wonder if we'll have to make a trip (airlines) to Prescott this coming summer to check it out. Perhaps be there for your rodeo. So many people make the comment, "visit before moving" is very easy to say, but not so easy financially.
Can you just drive down? Be a nice trip.......IMHO, if you're looking for a western town to retire in, you can't do any better. We considered parts of Texas, but the weather made us rethink that real quick.
But yes, definitely visit during the Frontier Days and check things out.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott