Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the private mimum security prison proposed for PV?
It's a great idea! 11 35.48%
It's a bad idea! 10 32.26%
I'd like to see more businesses & industries but not a prison. 10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,858 times

Advertisements

Hi there C-D Forum posters: I just wanted to get everyone's input on the 2,000-bed minimum security private prison proposed for Prescott Valley.

Of course on the pro side - 400 to 500 jobs

On the con side - huge impact to water and sewer infrastructure

Thoughts please: Good idea? Bad idea? Would this prison make Prescott Valley more or less attractive as a place to live?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Where is it, area wise, proposed to be built in PV?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:39 PM

According to the newspaper articles it's proposed site is east of Fain Road (the Hwy 69/89 bypass road) on 100 acres in a large (yet to be developed) industrial park near old Fain Road. "The prison would be the conrserstone of the proposed 600-900 acre industrial park."

So I'm assuming somewhere out in that open space SSE of the Yavapai County fairgrounds . . . or maybe closer to Hwy 69 and Fain Road where those warehouses/distribution centers are.

It will be very large. The paper had a picture of the 500-bed prison in Kingman, and that looked pretty big. The PV prison is to be 2,000-bed . . . so 4 times as big. I was trying to do a little research, and I think it would be the largest minimum security prison in AZ.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 10-11-2007 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
According to the newspaper articles it's proposed site is east of Fain Road (the Hwy 69/89 bypass road) on 100 acres in a large (yet to be developed) industrial park near old Fain Road. "The prison would be the conrserstone of the proposed 600-900 acre industrial park."

So I'm assuming somewhere out in that open space SSE of the Yavapai County fairgrounds . . . or maybe closer to Hwy 69 and Fain Road where those warehouses/distribution centers are.

It will be very large. The paper had a picture of the 500-bed prison in Kingman, and that looked pretty big. The PV prison is to be 2,000-bed . . . so 4 times as big. I was trying to do a little research, and I think it would be the largest minimum security prison in AZ.
Yeah... AZ seems to be very "special"... Both Phoenix and Tucson (surprisingly enough) got on Google's city view as well...

Old 10-11-2007, 07:02 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,719 times
I dont live in AZ yet, but I'd be all for it. With all the jail overcrowding, this gives the court system a place to put them without letting them out early.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular area, is it near a populated area or in the path of progress?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular area, is it near a populated area or in the path of progress?
hmmm - yes and no. Right now it's all part of Fain Ranch, but then so was all of Prescott Valley at one time. I had heard a rumor that Del Webb had wanted to buy something out in there a few years ago. But you know how rumors are. You have several subdivisions in the general area - Quailwood, Prescott Country Club, Mingus West, and Unit 20 of PV. It's rural right now, but if Fain decides to split it and sell it off, then it will be built up as soon as the real estate market turns around. I would say anywhere in that general area you're not more than 2 or 3 miles (as the crow flies) from either a subdivision or Hwy 69 or the Hwy 69/89 bypass road (Fain Road).

Have you ever driven Fain Road up to the Yavapai Fair grounds or on up to Jerome? As you turn off Hwy 69 and head up Fain Road to the NNW, this would be the area off to your right.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 PM

It's been several years since I've been up there, but yes I've been through that route. Seems to me if they build a prison there, no matter if it's minimum security, that it would effect property values there. What do you think?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM

You know, nitram, I'm trying to keep an open mind about this whole prison idea. The problem is I've seen prisons and other industries come into small communities in the Midwest, and it hasn't always had the positive effect that was promised to the Town and taxpayers. There's some issues with this proposed prison that really concern me, both as a homeowner and as a realtor.

Of course jobs are the big draw here. Reportedly 400-500 jobs which will pay about $15/hr. Personally, I'm not sure that's a big plus for the community. We actually have a number of jobs of that caliber. As a realtor, I meet many professional people from other parts of the country who would like to move here, but there are not many professional caliber jobs here. So, IMHO, I don't think we need to create more low paying jobs, but need to focus on tech jobs and other higher paying jobs. You cannot buy a house in Prescott Valley on $15/hr. But I guess it could help the rental market.

Second big issue for me. Lots of infrastructure required for such a large facility. Sounds like it might even need it's own sewer treatment plant. And of course a huge water supply. Water is a very precious commodity up here. It's been stated that this prison will require more water than a 1000 home subdivision. Right now, new subdivisions have to prove a 100-yr sustainable water supply before they're approved. I'm guessing there will be no such requirement for the prison.

Lastly, and this is the part I'm trying to get some feedback on - will people hesitate to relocate to the area because of the prison? We have lots of people wanting to retire here, and I'm really wondering how the prison would affect the desirability of the community. That, of course, could affect home values in the area.

On a personal level, I have questions such as: Will there be a work/release program at the prison? If so, won't prisoners then be taking the few available jobs outside the prison? Also, when the prisoners are released, how many will be staying in the community? Will taxpayers be footing the bill for halfway houses, parole officers, and other social services?

I'm just thinking there's an awful lot that needs to be considered before saying, "yes" to the prison . . . because once it's here, it's here to stay. Sounds like the council vote will be Oct. 25th. Not much time for public input or research.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Hi there C-D Forum posters: I just wanted to get everyone's input on the 2,000-bed minimum security private prison proposed for Prescott Valley.

Of course on the pro side - 400 to 500 jobs

On the con side - huge impact to water and sewer infrastructure

Thoughts please: Good idea? Bad idea? Would this prison make Prescott Valley more or less attractive as a place to live?
I'm not sure, but to me, Prescott has always seemed llike the place to get away from it all and away from the heat. I'd sure hate to think there was a prison down the street.
Are you sure? That just seems so weird...........Gosh I love the Prescott areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott