Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM

16 posts, read 65,245 times

Advertisements

QUOTE: While I find that "bandwagon" and mentality, disagreeable, I will be nice about it. I will say that it is hypocritical to move to a place and then protest anyone else wanting to move there.

Well, that was meant as a joke...notice the ??

It was really sad what I saw going through PV....ever heard the song by the Eagles called "The Last Resort"? There is a couple of lines in there that fits for PV (and many other places, I'm sure). It says "Some rich man came and raped the land, nobody caught him", and the other "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye".

Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeadeer View Post
QUOTE: While I find that "bandwagon" and mentality, disagreeable, I will be nice about it. I will say that it is hypocritical to move to a place and then protest anyone else wanting to move there.

Well, that was meant as a joke...notice the ??

It was really sad what I saw going through PV....ever heard the song by the Eagles called "The Last Resort"? There is a couple of lines in there that fits for PV (and many other places, I'm sure). It says "Some rich man came and raped the land, nobody caught him", and the other "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye".
Lots and lots of building (and bulldozing) going on. The song that always comes to my mind is the one with the line "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Not everyone here is happy about all the changes.

btw, doeadeer, how did your interview go?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM

I know...bulldozers were everywhere!

Well....I don't think it went too well. When it came to asking if I had a problem with working 'shifting' days/hours (including nights), I had to fess up and tell them that I would not be able to do the night shift, as I have a 12 year old daughter that I would not leave home all night. Plus, I told them, I'm pretty much 'out of it' after 10pm and I didn't think I would be very productive between the 6pm - 6am shift! Thanks for asking!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I know...bulldozers were everywhere!

Well....I don't think it went too well. When it came to asking if I had a problem with working 'shifting' days/hours (including nights), I had to fess up and tell them that I would not be able to do the night shift, as I have a 12 year old daughter that I would not leave home all night. Plus, I told them, I'm pretty much 'out of it' after 10pm and I didn't think I would be very productive between the 6pm - 6am shift! Thanks for asking!
That's too bad. I didn't realize the City had shift jobs - I thought they shut down everything at suppertime! Really, tho, it's a good thing you found out about that before you leaped. Having a 12-year old home alone most nights would not be a good thing.

Who knows, though, maybe they'll offer you something that's days only.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,918,453 times
Quote:
There is certainly development going on in PV. Personally, I am excited about the development. PV at least is openly pro-growth. The city is actively pursuing high tech businesses to bring higher paying jobs to the city. As far as the big-box stores moving in, it is a question of tax revenue. In AZ, cities rely on sales tax to operate. Until now, everyone in PV was driving to Prescott to go to the Gateway Mall, Home Depot, Costco, and Walmart for their shopping. Hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in sales tax from PV residents was going to the city of Prescott. With the development in PV, the sales tax will stay in PV and the city of PV can use that money to improve services to the residents of PV.

People and civilization need to be somewhere. If you are truly a fan of wide open spaces with no development, there are hundreds of thousands of acres of nearly untouched land in AZ to live in. Drive south from Dewey to Anthem and have your pick - all you see are nearly pristine rolling hills. Drive north from Chino Valley to I-40 and all you see are miles and miles of untouched juniper forest. You can buy 5 acres of pristine land in Juniperwood Ranch, 50miles from the nearest Walmart.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsHomes View Post
There is certainly development going on in PV. Personally, I am excited about the development. PV at least is openly pro-growth. The city is actively pursuing high tech businesses to bring higher paying jobs to the city. As far as the big-box stores moving in, it is a question of tax revenue. In AZ, cities rely on sales tax to operate. Until now, everyone in PV was driving to Prescott to go to the Gateway Mall, Home Depot, Costco, and Walmart for their shopping. Hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in sales tax from PV residents was going to the city of Prescott. With the development in PV, the sales tax will stay in PV and the city of PV can use that money to improve services to the residents of PV.

People and civilization need to be somewhere. If you are truly a fan of wide open spaces with no development, there are hundreds of thousands of acres of nearly untouched land in AZ to live in. Drive south from Dewey to Anthem and have your pick - all you see are nearly pristine rolling hills. Drive north from Chino Valley to I-40 and all you see are miles and miles of untouched juniper forest. You can buy 5 acres of pristine land in Juniperwood Ranch, 50miles from the nearest Walmart.
I'm actually excited to see some of the "planned" commercial developments in Prescott Valley, too. PV grew so quickly in the 90's that it has been a hodge-podge of stores, mostly along Hwy 69, with no real continuity or plan. Now, with the "Entertainment District" and the Kohl's/WalMart project, it appears there will be a more cohesive look to the commerical areas of PV.

What I really hate to see, though, are large commerical developments that have such a huge negative impact on the environment. I think there's been 2 or 3 that have been more of a negative rather than a positive, especially in Prescott. It's in Prescott's best interest to keep its charm and not go after every big box store possible. There are plenty of easy-build, easy access areas in the tri-city area in which to build large commercial structures. Building on the flatter land of Chino Valley and Prescott Valley would have much less negative impact on the environment and on the character of Prescott.

I'm really not "anti" growth, but I would like to see a more responsible vision for the future of Prescott. Tourism is one of Prescott's biggest industries. If Prescott loses its unique "small town" charm, and just becomes a little Phoenix, then it will have lost a huge tourism business. To me, PV & CV lend themselves much more to the "modern" commerical/residential districts that come with continued growth.

No doubt about it, the tri-cities (quad-cities if you include D-H) are going to continue to grow, especially if much needed high-paying jobs are brought to the area. Let's just hope that there's a vision for how to grow in such a way that it enhances our communities and does not detract from them.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM

Guess it just depends on who you are and what your business interests are. Growth can be good for the economy of the town, but it seems that most people move there because it isn't as busy and crowded as Phoenix, but obviously, that won't be the case forever and that is just the way to world turns!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,615 times
$$$$ turns the world and $$$$ is what finally makes the decisions on what goes in Prescott. Always has, always will.

They just opened a 100-unit Marriott hotel that was built in Prescott. They are building another 10- unit hotel off of Glassford Hill mountain. Hotels are BY FAR the biggest water hogs. Imagine 100 rooms with towels, bedsheets, pillow cases, etc., being washed every day. How many thousands of gallons of water. Now, add a swimming pool and 1,000 toilet flushes per day, that will help the water problems...

In the end, $$$ will win. It always has and always will. If water was an issue, why then are they allowing the largest water usage (hotels) to be built???

The answer: $$$$

As much as the people complain about all these projects. In the end, they like them and use them. I bet all the Lowes protesters will eventually shop there and all those who protested the hotels, will have guests & family visiting them in Prescott, stay at those hotels...

I say, keep building!! The more the better!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 22,695 times
Cool Is there any place hospitible out there ?

Iwas seriously looking at the Presscot area. But after all the negative reports
I think I might have to stay in Central Ne where I can afford to live !
Even though I am Retired,I am by no means Rich !
Iam just looking for something simple. A cabin in the Mtns,a little house on the ocean ! If it exists ! Maybe I am asking too much. But I am willig to,since I am only 58.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean/sunlvr View Post
Iwas seriously looking at the Presscot area. But after all the negative reports
I think I might have to stay in Central Ne where I can afford to live !
Even though I am Retired,I am by no means Rich !
Iam just looking for something simple. A cabin in the Mtns,a little house on the ocean ! If it exists ! Maybe I am asking too much. But I am willig to,since I am only 58.
Come for a visit first ocean/sunlvr, and then decide for yourself. I'm a Nebraska girl myself, and I love it here. But it was sticker shock, for sure. I don't know if there's any place in AZ that's got the kind of home prices that most of Nebraska does. But generally speaking wages are higher here than in Nebraska.

It used to be that the Springerville/Eagar area had more affordable housing, but I don't think that's the case anymore. But then again, maybe Gr. Island prices have gotten a lot higher since we moved.

At the very least, visit AZ - it definitely is a change of scene from Nebraska. Arizona has some of the most diverse climates and topography of any place I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott