Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer share any of their experience with the American Heritage Academy in Cottonwood? Their small size holds tremendous appeal to us.

Also, what's the employment situation like there? Dh is a CPA and I'm a nurse. What's the reputation of the local hospital as a place to work? I've found industries like Griffith and others through the Chamber website. Any insider info on places that are hiring? (Speaking for dh, that is.)

We're doing a scouting trip next month and appreciate any information. Any "must try" places to eat while we're there? And we love a good cup of coffee...any recommendations?

Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnfever View Post
Can anyone offer share any of their experience with the American Heritage Academy in Cottonwood? Their small size holds tremendous appeal to us.

Also, what's the employment situation like there? Dh is a CPA and I'm a nurse. What's the reputation of the local hospital as a place to work? I've found industries like Griffith and others through the Chamber website. Any insider info on places that are hiring? (Speaking for dh, that is.)

We're doing a scouting trip next month and appreciate any information. Any "must try" places to eat while we're there? And we love a good cup of coffee...any recommendations?

Thanks so much for your time!
A couple of my nieces attend American Heritage and they are doing well. Their parents like the school and have had no complaints. Smaller classes, more one on one attention and no *nonsense* accepted.

My nephew's wife works at the hospital and likes it, a lot. There is so much medical around here I can't imagine it being all that hard to get a job in a medical position. As for a CPA job, I don't know.

I'm not really all that crazy about the restaurants here but there are some good ones. Nic's in Old Town is good and is their 'sister' restaurant...which I can't remember the name of at the moment but it's just a block from Nic's in the old theatre building. There are some good places to eat in Jerome and Su Casa in Clarkdale is excellant for Mexican food. Sedona has every type of restaurant you could possibly want. Nice thing about being centrally located. For a good cup of coffee and reasonable breakfast/lunch, Randall's and Georgie's are good here in town.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 AM

AZDesertBrat-(Funny name, btw!)

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I really appreciate it and will note your recommendations. We look forward to visiting this friendly-sounding town!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnfever View Post
AZDesertBrat-(Funny name, btw!)

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I really appreciate it and will note your recommendations. We look forward to visiting this friendly-sounding town!
You're welcome. I think you'll like it here. I do, but admit I am biased.

As for the nick...Desert Rat was already taken. lol Besides, I'm female and didn't want to be thought of as a "rat".

Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM

29 posts, read 83,551 times
I believe there is a American Heritage in Camp Verde as well....another option. Lots of homes for sale, be sure to check Craigslist and classified on sites such as this.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks, Beekay, I appreciate you chiming in!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM

35 posts, read 114,333 times
I'm also interested in the schools, especially elementary... we have a 1 and 3 year-old, and are considering a move to the Verde Valley in the next year. There are some job opportunities there that would help us to pay off our student loans more quickly, plus I go to a conference in Sedona every year and we find that we like it up there. I've looked at the housing stock and for our price range it looks like Cottonwood would give us the most house (in terms of what we want) and be close to the jobs we are looking into. Prescott and Sedona also fit the bill somewhat, and there are opportunities in those places as well.

Are there any school districts that are considered better than others between Prescott, Cottonwood area, and Sedona? From the "excelling schools" list on the AZ Dept of Ed site, it looks like there are a few in Sedona and Prescott, plus one in Clarkdale. I don't know how much to trust the definitions of "excelling" though.

Another, possibly more "sensitive" question. We are an interracial couple, and our children are biracial. Does anyone think this may be a problem for us, if you're being honest? We have been in small towns (in Arizona and elsewhere) where we were definitely made to feel - ummmm - uncomfortable. Does anyone think this would be the case in any of the cities in the VV? Are there any towns that are less "open-minded" than others?.

Thanks!!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,977 times
this school is run just like the american government... just my opinion but i did go there for awhile. watching all the students vomit while the principle slaughtered a chicken for a class project was neat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott