Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Definitely the Ice Bowl.

Also rans...

III Jets v Colts

X Steelers v Cowboys

XIII Steelers v Cowboys

XVII Redskins v Dolphins

XXIII 49ers v Bengals

XKIV Saints v Colts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
I must say although last nights MNF will probably not be my most memorable that first 15 minutes sure did leave an impression - silly even

Old 11-21-2010, 12:46 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Good story! Denver's problem in the old AFL days was largely one of geography: they had Oakland, Kansas City and San Diego as divisional partners, making it very difficult to make the playoffs. Oakland and Kansas City were arguably the best teams in the AFL ( with apologies to Namath's Jets), and even San Diego was usually decent, too, while the AFL East was generally quite weak, outside of the Jets. It just made for a very unbalanced conference, and Denver suffered because of it.
That's not really true, at least for the 1960-1965 period. During the first 6 years of the AFL, each of the league's 8 teams played a double round-robin against the other 7 teams in the league, meaning each team played the exact same schedule with the obvious exception of not playing themselves.

In addition, the Jets only won the AFL East Division in 1968 and 1969; prior to that Buffalo and Boston generally ruled in the mid-1960s (with the Bills usually beating out the Patriots) and Houston was the top team in the AFL's early days (and also won the AFL East in 1967 when the Bills and Patriots had declined and the Jets hadn't quite gotten to their peak yet).

Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
That's not really true, at least for the 1960-1965 period. During the first 6 years of the AFL, each of the league's 8 teams played a double round-robin against the other 7 teams in the league, meaning each team played the exact same schedule with the obvious exception of not playing themselves.

In addition, the Jets only won the AFL East Division in 1968 and 1969; prior to that Buffalo and Boston generally ruled in the mid-1960s (with the Bills usually beating out the Patriots) and Houston was the top team in the AFL's early days (and also won the AFL East in 1967 when the Bills and Patriots had declined and the Jets hadn't quite gotten to their peak yet).
CHIP72 is right. Regarding the AFC West, a similar scenario has been developing that is similar here. Oakland and Kansas City are battling for the top spot with San Diego currently in third place and the Broncos in last place. In the old AFL days, particularly the last few years, that was the same end result. Solid point by CHIP and Massvt made about the Broncos being stuck in the one division. With San Diego, that point is underlined. San Diego came in with a 9-5 record in 1968 and finished in third place.

Back to Denver, two things of note. First-in the history of the American Football League, the Broncos were the only team in the league (charter teams that is, Miami and Cincinnati not included) that did not play in an AFL championship game. Second, they were the only charter club that did not have a winning season, with the 7-7 record in 1962 their best record.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
CHIP72 is right. Regarding the AFC West, a similar scenario has been developing that is similar here. Oakland and Kansas City are battling for the top spot with San Diego currently in third place and the Broncos in last place. In the old AFL days, particularly the last few years, that was the same end result. Solid point by CHIP and Massvt made about the Broncos being stuck in the one division. With San Diego, that point is underlined. San Diego came in with a 9-5 record in 1968 and finished in third place.

Back to Denver, two things of note. First-in the history of the American Football League, the Broncos were the only team in the league (charter teams that is, Miami and Cincinnati not included) that did not play in an AFL championship game. Second, they were the only charter club that did not have a winning season, with the 7-7 record in 1962 their best record.
To clarify, my point was largely about the later years of the AFL, when as you mentioned, a team like San Diego, with a 9-5 record, or 8-6, would finish 3rd behind Oakland and KC, while the Jets were largely competing with poor teams in Buffalo, Boston and Houston, and an expansion team in Miami...not really fair for a team like Denver or San Diego, which really had the deck stacked against them..

Old 11-29-2010, 04:27 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
To clarify, my point was largely about the later years of the AFL, when as you mentioned, a team like San Diego, with a 9-5 record, or 8-6, would finish 3rd behind Oakland and KC, while the Jets were largely competing with poor teams in Buffalo, Boston and Houston, and an expansion team in Miami...not really fair for a team like Denver or San Diego, which really had the deck stacked against them..
I'm good with it!

By the way, to wrap up this tidbit of AFL/Bronco trivia, here is another couple items from a series of dubious records regarding the Broncos in those days. With the two AFL expansion clubs (Cincinnati and Miami) the Broncos were the victims to both of those clubs regarding their first wins as an AFL franchise. Week 6 of the 1966 season, Miami beat them 24-10. In week 2 of the 1968 season Cincinnati beat them 24-10.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times
My other favorite NFL game moment is when the Saints blocked the Falcons punt when the Saints went back to the Super Domw for the 1st time since Katrina. I was living in Alexandria,VA while in school after leaving New Orleans a year ago because of Katrina and when I watched that blocked kick I was jumpin' up and down like crazy! LOL!

I almost cried after that moment since our city has been throw the worst and finally got out Saints team back in the city where they should be, along with letting the nation know that New Orleans will(and still is) come back strong.

Yes the Superbowl was big thing for the Saints but, not like this one. to me this is number three behind the Saints vs Cowboys 2006 when the Saints beat the Cowboys 42-17 in Dallas, and behind this which is number 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGgB...eature=related

Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Quote:
Fair enough - you are right about the AFL West teams working at a disadvantage in the late years of the league's existence (like the Chargers in 1969, who went 8-6 and stayed home while the 6-6-2 Houston Oilers made the playoffs).

Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,237 times
In person I would say watching Bo Jackson run over Brian Bosworth on Monday Night Football back in 1987 in the Kingdome against the Seahawks in Seattle. The most amazing part was when Bo Jackson ran for about a 90 yard touchdown run against the Seahawks. He ran so fast that everyone else looked like they were in slow motion. Most amazing thing I have ever seen. Bo was awesome!

On tv it would have to be watching Dan Marino and the Dolphins beat the 1985 Chicago Bears on Monday Night Football in the Orange Bowl. Marino just picked apart that great 85 Bears defense. I will never forget that night!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Last night's Eagles Cowboys game.

Andy FINALLY ran the clock out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football