Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,936,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well if you're a Giants fan, then one of those must be that catch by David Tyree where he and Eli Manning destroyed the New England Patriots' year and 19-0 season.

How could any NFL fan/player/coach/observer ever forget this moment here?
This would absolutely be another memorable NFL game for me as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,883,492 times
No doubt pretty memorable for Pats fans too.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It was only 4 seasons previous that Denver had experienced its first winning season, going 7-5-2 with John Ralston as head coach and general manager. Before, the Broncos had basically the worst won-loss record of all the AFC clubs who came into the NFL as a result of the NFL-AFL merger. Two big changes come to mind to get the Broncos to where they never thought they could go to. Those 2 people were quarterback Craig Morton and head coach Red Miller.

A word about Denver and Oakland. Needless to say, this has been a heated rivalry since 1977 which really escalated when Mike Shanahan returned to Denver as head coach in 1995. Shanahan was head coach for Oakland for the 1988 and part of the 1989 season and was fired after 5 games. The details of the firing might not have been the soap opera episode that the Lane Kiffin episode was last year but it was ugly and long lasting.

A rivalry isn't really a rivalry until both teams become good. In 1976 Denver finished 9-5. Still, I guess you could call it a rivalry in the hammer and nail scenario sense. The Raiders were the hammer, and the Broncos were the nail. Actually, by 1976 the Broncos had beaten the Raiders four times and tied them once from 1960 to 1976. And also the team that really caused them pain in those years were the Kansas City Chiefs. From 1960 to 1971 Denver won two games against the Chiefs, and lost 22. The Chiefs back then were a bigger rivalry.

The fans were doing cartwheels after week 4, but trying not to create a false sense of security. They had beaten St. Louis, San Diego, Kansas City, and Seattle. They were not blowing anybody out, but they were winning.

Week 5 is when Broncomania kicked into high gear, shellacking Oakland 30-7 in their stadium. Ken Stabler was sacked eight times, intercepted seven times, and David Humm finished the game. But the huge play in this game was the fake field goal/touchdown throw to kicker Jim Turner that went for a 30 yard touchdown just before the half ended. The play was run over and over and over the Denver tv stations. After years of being bullied, the Broncos now were dictating play. And something even more noteworthy that the Oakland Raiders let a kicker who could run the 100 yard dash in 2 days score a touchdown on them. It was then in the third quarter when linebacker Tom Jackson ran over to the Raider sideline and yelled at John Madden, "It's all over fat man!" At that point, it was the greatest game in Denver Bronco history. Over 10,000 fans met Denver at Stapleton airport after the game.

And they kept winning. The Raiders met them two weeks later and whipped them 24-14. And Denver dropped their final game of the regular season to Dallas, not only not showing them a lot but also pulling a lot of their starters. But they kept winning. Week after week the fans got louder and crazier. And still the Broncos weren't blowing people out, but were still winning and playing sound football. And the defense at that time was now being known locally as the Orange Crush. They only gave up 148 points that season. The regular season ended with the Broncos at 12-2.

After Denver beat Pittsburgh 34-21 in the division playoff game I thought that crowd was the loudest I'd ever heard. Wrong.

It was an 11 o'clock start, YIKES it was cold! The stadium personnel let the fans in around 8:30 in the morning. That being New Years day, it was a sure bet a good majority of those fans had their hot buttered rum the night before and in the parking lot at 7 in the morning. It was crazy all day, especially after Haven Moses blew past Skip Thomas to score that touchdown Mike 0421 was referring to. But the Raiders played a hell of a game, with Dave Casper catching 2 touchdown passes on the south end of the field that were 2 of the toughest catches a receiver could make.

Surprisingly, Oakland kicked away after that touchdown, figuring they could stop the Broncos and get the ball back, but didn't happen. Otis Armstrong ran behind OT Claudie Minor and TE Riley Odoms 3 straight times, ran out the clock, and what happened later I'll never forget.

Fans were out on the field for a half hour after the game was over. The goal posts went down immediately. During that time the media conducted interviews with the players and coaches. The fans packed the field from one end to the other. Tom Jackson later was quoted in the Rocky Mountain News that he told the players to put back their jerseys back on, to come back on the field and see what is going on here. A lot of them did. The fans just wanted to see them, to shake hands with the players. The fans were representative to an organization of losers. They wanted to say thanks. Denver celebrated for the next two weeks like it was Mardi Gras.

Seventeen years ago they were the joke of the league, of two leagues actually. The town resigned themselves to the fact that the Broncos were a second rate bunch.

No more.
Been on this forum for over 3 years, this is probably the single best post I've read. Riveting stuff, this from a lifelong Giants fan. I could spend the entire time in the football forum just reminiscing about old NFL games and seasons. 70s NFL especially.

I will give a post of my favorite games and backdrops later next week, as the volume of the post will be too long to post now.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
Of games watched on TV, it would have to be the '87 AFC Championship game with "The Drive". We were Bronco fans and happened to be in Denver that day. (The game was in Cleveland.) It was GREAT!!!

But of all games it would have to be the one following that -- Super Bowl XXI in Pasadena with Broncos vs. Giants. It remains the only Super Bowl I've attended, and that's the main reason it was memorable for me.

The Broncos were underdogs but scored first and still held the lead at halftime despite a couple missed field goal attempts from 23 and 34 yards out and suffering a safety. That, combined with a couple questionable calls from the refs and a career-ending injury to Tom Jackson at the end of the first half sent the Broncos into a tailspin. They were outscored 30-10 in the second half and lost the game 20-39.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 07-31-2010 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM

18,135 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Appreciate the kind words Mike 0421!

A quick word on the 1958 NFL Championship game which started this thread (thanks Mike FBE!) Over the years a lot of the pro football writers around the country pointed to that game which really vaulted the popularity of the NFL to where it is now. I concur with that.

There have been some books published about that game, about that season, and about its impact on the future of the league itself. The latest book on this I just finished, it's by Frank Gifford, simply called "The Greatest Game". Another one which was published several years ago was written by Chuck Klein called "The Game Of Their Lives", is worth picking up as well.

Mike makes an excellent point regarding the American Football League. A young Lamar Hunt looked at how long this game was talked about after it was played. He decided he wanted to get involved but wasn't able to secure a franchise. So what did he do? He decided to start a new league, the American Football League.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-01-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Of games watched on TV, it would have to be the '87 AFC Championship game with "The Drive". We were Bronco fans and happened to be in Denver that day. (The game was in Cleveland.) It was GREAT!!!

But of all games it would have to be the one following that -- Super Bowl XXI in Pasadena with Broncos vs. Giants. It remains the only Super Bowl I've attended, and that's the main reason it was memorable for me.

The Broncos were underdogs but scored first and still held the lead at halftime despite a couple missed field goal attempts from 23 and 34 yards out and suffering a safety. That, combined with a couple questionable calls from the refs and a career-ending injury to Tom Jackson at the end of the first half sent the Broncos into a tailspin. They were outscored 30-10 in the second half and lost the game 20-39.
Rich Karlis I think ruined the Broncos in the first half of that game. The Broncos completely outplayed the Giants. It turned around, obviously with the goal line stand on 1st and goal at the one, with Karlis missing the kick. However, a little acknowledged play to start the second half: Jeff Rutledge, on 4th and 1 at their own 40, called a fake punt and snuck the ball over for the needed one, out of punt formation. That play singularly transformed the game from that point forward, as Phil Simms didn't miss on another pass attempt the rest of the game.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,490,378 times

YouTube - 1995 Colts at Steelers - 10

THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Oh yeah, that one was a great ending. That's the one where Jim Harbaugh pretty much dislocated his finger on the previous play. The Colts were the 5th seed, if I remember properly, and not given much of a chance. Aaron Bailey probably could have caught that ball. That was the year when the Chiefs, the week before, did their annual choke with "MartyBall", which was followed by a three foot snow storm in New Jersey, where I lived at the time. Then there was also the Zack Crockett game, when he ran through the Chargers the week prior. The Colts probably shouldn't have gotten that far to begin with, and they came within one play of the Super Bowl.

Last edited by mike0421; 08-03-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,490,378 times
Man! Then the Steelers went in a choked against the Cowboys! Call me crazy.....But I think those '95 Colts could have beaten the Da "Boys.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM

10,164 posts, read 20,698,179 times
Most memorable games I've watched:

Giants vs. Pats Superbowl - Greatest Superbowl ever, and greatest outcome ever!!! Bwahahaha!

Miami vs Jets September 21st, 1986, Marino and O'Brian combine for 884 yards passing in an offensive shoot-out. I was at that game and it was an offensive tug of war. Great game, just wish the fins would have won.

Miami vs Dallas Thanksgiving 1993 -- Leon Lett blows the game with only seconds left. Had he done nothing after the failed field goal attempt by Miami, Dallas wins. But he tried to recover the missed field goal and bobbled it at the goal line after slipping on the ice. Miami recovers and gets another field goal attempt for the win.

Buffalo - Houston 1993 - The Comeback. Houston with a 35-3 lead in the third quarter chokes and loses the game. Buffalo headed by Frank Reich at QB scores 38 points to Houstons 3 for the rest of the game and wins 41-38.

Jets vs Raiders 1982/83 - Lyle Alzado rips helmet off of Chris Ward's head and throws it at him.

Giants vs Bills Superbowl - came down to the wire on a missed field goal attempt.

Bears vs. Pats Superbowl - Never mind the blowout, not allowing Walter Peyton to run in a touchdown was a travesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football