Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Why would they keep Schwartz? How do coaches contracts work if they fire him, do they owe him money? He should give them money! I couldn't believe his comments about this season not being a failure. A major collapse isn't a failure???

Fourth head coach since 2002. Was on the Detroit News' live chat with one of their writers just now....the writer gives Schwartz 85% chance of being gone on Monday.

He gives GM Mayhew 80% chance of staying.

Not a chance in Hades (he's saying), that Detroit will hire a PROVEN new head coach for next year.

Lots of names were strewn about (Gruden, Harbaugh, Dungy, even Dantonio of MSU)......no way, he sez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 AM
YAZ

Interesting.

Whisenhunt's name came up a few times.

Surprisingly, some folks were quite vocal (& polite & intelligent), about NOT making any coaching changes for next year. And yeah, Bondurant, that 12 million over 2 years will play a part in it.......

....but they're saying a coaching change will most likely guarantee a losing season next year.

Akers will be gone and Raiola will most likely be in a backup role.

Expect Shawn Hill to sign with another team (cap reasons).

Burleson will be back with a HUGE pay cut.

Bush has like.....3 years left on his contract.

Expect to draft heavily on WR's......

Old 12-27-2013, 01:47 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Is it true Matthew Stafford doesn't think he needs a personal QB coach? Seriously, did he really say that and does he think he is that good?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...k-with-qb-guru

Even Aaron Rodgers worked with QB coaches as his footwork was an issue coming into the NFL, he admits he needed coaching.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-27-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
10th pick.

Hopefully a new coach (and possibly GM) can put the puzzle pieces together.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
I cannot justify them keeping Schwartz. They had Rodgers out for almost half the season, they had Cutler out for more than a month. They were 1-6 to close out the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that stretch, they would've lost home games to the Bucs who finished 4-12, the Giants who finished 7-9 and the Ravens who finished 8-8. The Ravens didn't even find the end zone that game as they won the game with 6 field goals.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I cannot justify them keeping Schwartz. They had Rodgers out for almost half the season, they had Cutler out for more than a month. They were 1-6 to close out the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that stretch, they would've lost home games to the Bucs who finished 4-12, the Giants who finished 7-9 and the Ravens who finished 8-8. The Ravens didn't even find the end zone that game as they won the game with 6 field goals.
People are reading too much into Rodgers and Cutler being out. Flynn and McCown played well at the helm. Their absence or presence meant nothing to the Lions season. It's all about those games you mentioned and week 2 in Arizona. They blew it. Plain and simple. No way Schwartz keeps his job at this point. Fords have already reached out to a few.

This season was a waste but oddly I am looking forward to next season. New blood is that thrilling for me or I am a masochist.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
People are reading too much into Rodgers and Cutler being out. Flynn and McCown played well at the helm. Their absence or presence meant nothing to the Lions season. It's all about those games you mentioned and week 2 in Arizona. They blew it. Plain and simple. No way Schwartz keeps his job at this point. Fords have already reached out to a few.

This season was a waste but oddly I am looking forward to next season. New blood is that thrilling for me or I am a masochist.

You're a masochist.

How many times have we been down this road?

The last time we had an accomplished head coach in Detroit?

Bobby Ross. Quit in the middle of the 1999 season.

Don Shula was the last assistant coach in Detroit that actually did something AFTER he left town.

We sure know how to pick 'em, eh?

Ooops. Forgot about Steve Mariucci. To my credit, he wasn't with Detroit very long.......

Last edited by YAZ; 12-30-2013 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: add

Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
YAZ

Another one gone.

Schwartz had one winning season (2 years ago), over a five year period.

Offensive & Defensive coordinators also got canned, so no one is moving up in the organization.

Word has it that Ford Jr. is calling the shots (again).......

Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM
YAZ

The buzz around town is that the Ford's are interested in Whiz and O'Brien (Penn State).

I'd like to see Ken Whisenhunt at the helm but I'm also afraid for him if he takes the job.

Zimmer (Bengals' DC), is also on the long list of candidates.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Whisenhunt and Lovie would be good choices. Just, please God, not Shanahan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football