Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
The Lions are a better than average team, but they are far from being loaded at wide receiver. After Calvin Johnson, they don't have any wide receivers that would qualify to be 2nd or 3rd on most if not almost all of the other teams. Johnson is aging and has also been playing hurt. The team isn't doing too well in the tight end department, either. Drafting or obtaining a wide receiver that can start as a legitimate #2 is a top priority this off-season.
Wow.

The signing of Golden Tate really brings things up a notch, eh?

Looks like Pettigrew will be playing his entire career in Detroit. Might be a good thing. .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
They should improve marginally with Golden Tate. But onfield discipline is more crucial than personnel. In the North division, it really doesn't take a dominant team to win. Weaknesses exist everywhere. Discipline, the bad attitude of Schwartz, has figured more in their failure than lack of competitive players. I had a feeling the disarray was beginning to even get to Calvin Johnson. He was racking up records only to see the overall effort making them useless just like Adrian Peterson's rushing record. The super stars need the whole team to up its game. I don't know that the fans will acknowledge this, but talentwise and with the status of their division, they should be winning. But star-laden teams have failed many times in the past.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 AM
YAZ

There's a tendency to blame the coach in just about every sport.

Some folks may not agree with what I'm about to say:

The Lions just don't have that many good players.

Not to mention that they've done a terrible job in the draft re players' attitudes & characters.

Think Charles Rogers, Titus Young, etc.

William Clay Ford ultimately called the shots for decades, and now he's passed away. This is the Lions' biggest story of the year. It sounds morbid, and I don't mean any disrespect at all.......but his passing will mark a major turning point with the Detroit franchise.

The question is:

When they turn, are they going south or north?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
There's a tendency to blame the coach in just about every sport.

Some folks may not agree with what I'm about to say:

The Lions just don't have that many good players.

Not to mention that they've done a terrible job in the draft re players' attitudes & characters.

Think Charles Rogers, Titus Young, etc.

William Clay Ford ultimately called the shots for decades, and now he's passed away. This is the Lions' biggest story of the year. It sounds morbid, and I don't mean any disrespect at all.......but his passing will mark a major turning point with the Detroit franchise.

The question is:

Grin. Great comment at the end there. Let's hope its North as in Northern Division contender.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:

The question is:

W.C. Ford was a major part of the problem in Detroit. During the Millen era, he was made the scapegoat but Ford called a lot of the draft picks. I've heard that Millen wanted to draft Jammer in '02 but Ford insisted on Harrington.

Competent ownership is as crucial as a good GM and quality coach. Overall, the Lions aren't that great of a team despite legitimate quality talent in some areas.

Ford did a lot of great things outside of the Lions but his legacy in his football operations is abysmal. I hope we're in for better days.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 PM

0-16 implies someone was making horrendous decisions. By the way, what draft pick did Detroit get after a winless season?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
0-16 implies someone was making horrendous decisions. By the way, what draft pick did Detroit get after a winless season?
Young Mr. Stafford out of Georgia.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Young Mr. Stafford out of Georgia.
Welllllllllllll, he did win some GAMES. Can't call it that stupid.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:10 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
The signing of Golden Tate really brings things up a notch, eh?
I think he's a good pickup. I just hope that he doesn't catch the Dropsies. I think they should take another WR in the first round this year if a good talent is available. I'm not sold on Calvin's durability and longevity and a receiver drafted this year should be coming into his prime right as Calvin is ready to retire or suffering a decline in ability.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I think he's a good pickup. I just hope that he doesn't catch the Dropsies. I think they should take another WR in the first round this year if a good talent is available. I'm not sold on Calvin's durability and longevity and a receiver drafted this year should be coming into his prime right as Calvin is ready to retire or suffering a decline in ability.
He's missed 6 games in 7 years. That's nothing to worry about. In three years (when a lot of receivers come into their prime) he'll be at 10 years. I don't think he'll be ready to retire after 10 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football