Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Oh, and can I just say for the record I am a true Seahawks fan.
Why would you admit that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Why do the Jets keep popping up? I thought they always had a nutty hardcore fan base.

I think it's also important to point out that some of these teams might have a casual following of out of towners. I myself am a Lions fan but have respect for other teams. I've liked the Colts, for example, since the Jim Harbaugh era. It was heartbreaking when Captain Comeback was robbed of playing in the Super Bowl. I hated the Steelers from that point on until Kordell Stewart got axed from the team. But the lowly Lions are and always will be my #1. Next year, man.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:16 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Here in Pa you do see Cowboys gear when the team is winning, or almost none when they are losing. Eagles jerseys, hats, coats are seen consistantly, win or lose. Slightly less so for Steelers. You see more of their gear now then you did 5 or 10 years ago.
I do see some truly ratty Cowboys stuff being worn and you wonder if the wearer dug it out of the back of a closet or found it in a Goodwill. We used to joke about Cowboys fans as kids having their hats and coats taken and thrown down a storm sewer by other kids and then fished out to be worn again.
Absolute worst sports team saddled with geek fans: New York Yankees. I doubt if even many are fans, they seem to wear Yankees hats as a fashion statement for the metro gangsta look. "Free gold chain with every Yankees cap", or "Nice glitter and sparkles on that Yankees cap, man."

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Here in Pa you do see Cowboys gear when the team is winning, or almost none when they are losing. Eagles jerseys, hats, coats are seen consistantly, win or lose. Slightly less so for Steelers. You see more of their gear now then you did 5 or 10 years ago.
I do see some truly ratty Cowboys stuff being worn and you wonder if the wearer dug it out of the back of a closet or found it in a Goodwill. We used to joke about Cowboys fans as kids having their hats and coats taken and thrown down a storm sewer by other kids and then fished out to be worn again.
Absolute worst sports team saddled with geek fans: New York Yankees. I doubt if even many are fans, they seem to wear Yankees hats as a fashion statement for the metro gangsta look. "Free gold chain with every Yankees cap", or "Nice glitter and sparkles on that Yankees cap, man."
I dunno, man. I lived/worked in Scranton for 18 months. If my co-workers were any indication of NFL fans in NEPA the Steelers are by far the most popular with Eagles and Giants as the 2nd and 3rd most popular. One guy was a Cowboys fan and was never shy about sporting his gear.

Dead on about Yankee "fans".

Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Why would you admit that?
Says the cardinals fan?!!?!?

I like it when I can be accused of being a bandwagon fan and in fact it does happen for some of the college teams I like ....... I'm OK with it because it usually means they are winning and I'm comfortable enough to know that I followed the down times as well

i haven't had any issues with saints fans and really haven't seen many of them .... but it could be like when the rams went on their little run and you'd have the LA d'bags show up to the sports bar with their $30k millionaire club attire in full effect running around screaming at everyone about "the greatest show on turf"

that was an uber-obnoxious bandwagon .... it was like laker fans sprouting up in another sport ..... thankfully it died down pretty quick and we're left now with only real rams fans, which are actually pretty cool

Old 09-29-2010, 02:26 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
No, its the stuff thats comes with those rings. general rule of thumb in any sport, the more success the more fair weather and sub par fans.
Not in Pittsburgh. The Pirates ,with an 18 straight season losing streak still sells out at PNC Park and the franchise still makes a good profit.
Pittsburgh fans are truly die hard.
The bad thing is it takes away incentive to build a winning team.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Yea--I would say the majority traveled from the tri-state area!!! Steeler fans are known to travel well!! I said it before, but will explain again--back when all the steel mills shut down, people had no choice but to move out of state to find jobs in order to support their families. This is why you see so many Steeler fans in different states, why there are Steeler bars in every major city, why there are Terrible Towels waving in the air at all those AWAY games!!

Y'all just LOVE to hate on our SB rings don't you?!?!?
There are also Steeler Bars in Germany, Ireland and all over the world. The Steelers are truly a phenomenon.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Not in Pittsburgh. The Pirates ,with an 18 straight season losing streak still sells out at PNC Park and the franchise still makes a good profit.
Pittsburgh fans are truly die hard.
The bad thing is it takes away incentive to build a winning team.
Uhm .... the Pirates are 26th in attendance this year filling about 52% of their capacity ...... this is the highest they've ranked since 2003 when they finished at 26th in the league .... their best finish since 2001 was in 2001 when they finished 17th - which was a complete abberation due to the grand opening of an absolutely gem of a stadium ....... for pretty much the last decade the pirates are bottom 5 in attendance

but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
The Steelers are not a phenomenon. Not even close.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM

191 posts, read 272,916 times
This is easy, the Dallas Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football