Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,617,645 times

Advertisements

I've been watching some preseason ball on NFLN the last week and man o man are some of these teams going young on defense. Indy, New England just to name a couple. The Pats defense are mostly kids. They could have some serious issues with the NFL learning curve. They have drafted a lot of DB's and LB's in the last few years, now they have to see if any of them develop like INDY's young guys.

I was also pretty impressed with the Redskins the other night, but they are on a win now mission. I can say that McNabb will be a great addition to that offense and with 3 above average backs, they could make some noise in the NFCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 PM

952 posts, read 944,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
...I was also pretty impressed with the Redskins the other night, but they are on a win now mission. I can say that McNabb will be a great addition to that offense and with 3 above average backs, they could make some noise in the NFCE.

yeah...but the Cowboys will make the biggest racket

The oddsmakers have predicted a 12-4 record for Dallas...

12 indictments...and 4 convictions

Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,693,075 times
Havent watched too much just a bit. Flaco looks good as does Baltimore in general. Actually thats the only game i have watched so thats the only comment i have.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,502,862 times
I always try, and fail to evaluate teams by watching them in the preseason. I remember the year the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and I was touting them as the surprise team for that year. They fell, just a bit, short of my prediction, going 0-16. Thats not to say there isn't some things to watch for, just showing that I suck at predicting.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,104,281 times
I have been watching the first team offense and first team defense of just about each team this preseason.

A few things:

1. Although the Bills only got a field goal on their first drive, Washington's 1st team defense looked absolutely lost on the first two possessions against Buffalo. It wasn't until Grossman and some of Washington's 2nd teamers started entering the game against Buffalo's 2nd team that Washington began lighting them up en route to a 42-17 win. I really don't know if there is much that the Redskins can take away from that game - I was not impressed.

2. Likewise, the 49ers' first team offense looked feeble against Indianapolis. Alex Smith made ONE good pass over the middle to Delaney Walker that impressed me, and then found ways to miss Robinson out of the backfield on a screen pass, throw behind a wide-open Vernon Davis, and throw an INT into double coverage over the middle. On the good side, Anthony Dixon looks like a legit backup RB and it was interesting to me, that the Colts have put Donald Brown in the 2nd team offense entirely. Guess you should look to draft Addai in fantasy. But, yeah, so despite a 37-point performance, very little of that should be considered impressive since the first teamers had absolutely nothing to do with it. Even SF's INT return for a TD was off of Curtis Painter, not Peyton Manning.

3. Impressive first teams: Cleveland, Atlanta, Houston, Indianapolis, Denver, Tennessee

4. Worst first teams: San Francisco (offense), Kansas City (offense and defense), Oakland (offense), Cincinnati (defense)

How much can we take from all of this? I'm not entirely sure, but it's certainly nice to get back to watching football again!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,110,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I have been watching the first team offense and first team defense of just about each team this preseason.

A few things:

1. Although the Bills only got a field goal on their first drive, Washington's 1st team defense looked absolutely lost on the first two possessions against Buffalo. It wasn't until Grossman and some of Washington's 2nd teamers started entering the game against Buffalo's 2nd team that Washington began lighting them up en route to a 42-17 win. I really don't know if there is much that the Redskins can take away from that game - I was not impressed.

2. Likewise, the 49ers' first team offense looked feeble against Indianapolis. Alex Smith made ONE good pass over the middle to Delaney Walker that impressed me, and then found ways to miss Robinson out of the backfield on a screen pass, throw behind a wide-open Vernon Davis, and throw an INT into double coverage over the middle. On the good side, Anthony Dixon looks like a legit backup RB and it was interesting to me, that the Colts have put Donald Brown in the 2nd team offense entirely. Guess you should look to draft Addai in fantasy. But, yeah, so despite a 37-point performance, very little of that should be considered impressive since the first teamers had absolutely nothing to do with it. Even SF's INT return for a TD was off of Curtis Painter, not Peyton Manning.

3. Impressive first teams: Cleveland, Atlanta, Houston, Indianapolis, Denver, Tennessee

4. Worst first teams: San Francisco (offense), Kansas City (offense and defense), Oakland (offense), Cincinnati (defense)

How much can we take from all of this? I'm not entirely sure, but it's certainly nice to get back to watching football again!
yeah I was going to say the Houston 1st team offense looked good and the Oakland 1st team offense looked bad, but Oakland (my favorite team) has a new quarterback, new offensive coordinator, and played without Chaz Schilens (#1 WR) and Mcfadden, o I still have hope.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,617,645 times
Funny to go back and see how right or wrong we were based on the preseason.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
Michael Vick will replace Kevin Kolb and be the frontrunner for league MVP

Also i see peyton manning getting into a late season slump and throwing like 8 or so INTs over a 3 game stretch

The Cowboys will be out of playoff contention by week 6 or 7

Jets will get off to huge start and get shamed on the first Monday Night game of December

mark my words...

Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Michael Vick will replace Kevin Kolb and be the frontrunner for league MVP

Also i see peyton manning getting into a late season slump and throwing like 8 or so INTs over a 3 game stretch

The Cowboys will be out of playoff contention by week 6 or 7

Jets will get off to huge start and get shamed on the first Monday Night game of December

mark my words...
I would have flamed you for all of those with the exception of the Jets comment, which I would have called "plausible, but improbable" due to the Hard Knocks curse. Obviously, everyone in August knew that Vick was washed up and a chronic second-teamer/wildcat guy.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I would have flamed you for all of those with the exception of the Jets comment, which I would have called "plausible, but improbable" due to the Hard Knocks curse. Obviously, everyone in August knew that Vick was washed up and a chronic second-teamer/wildcat guy.

Agree - who would have believed these, or at least all of them, amazing what differenc a few months can make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football