Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will take everything?
New England Patriots 15 46.88%
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 18.75%
Indianapolis Colts 0 0%
Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%
Baltimore Ravens 1 3.13%
New York Jets 0 0%
Atlanta Falcons 4 12.50%
Chicago Bears 1 3.13%
Philadelphia Eagles 1 3.13%
Seattle Seahawks 1 3.13%
New Orleans Saints 0 0%
Green Bay Packers 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
man this threads gone dead ever since the Jets got knocked out... lol. Although this Steelers vs. Packers game has some serious history on its side... Jets vs. Packers would have been a much more hyped up superbowl... Could you imagine Rex and the Jets on media day... media day this year was so boring... Ohh wells, hopefully for next year...

It looks like we were both wrong with this one. To think the first game I picked wrong throughout the whole post season was the one that hurt the most the SB. Oh well I forgot how it felt to be a fan of the losing team in the SB. Congrats to the Pack, they deserved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I'm happy! Funny how this season worked out, so many teams out of the picture early, Saints, Colts, Patriots, Falcons, who would have thought with all the injuries, Green Bay could do it! Woohoo!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I really thnik that green bay showed it was the team that build to the end.Its always that way really;you have to build to a peak at the right time.Gren Bay ahd as mnay injuries hurt them as other but that is why its a team sport and that means depth is need .

Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
I gotta agree with everything said... I think that alot of people and especially myself took Greenbay for granted because of their weak competition in the playoffs. Really aside from the eagles they didn't face much and that Bears game provided reasons as to why this team may not have been as good as everyone thought they were.

That being said, with everything this team has had to endure from the numerous injuries throughout the season to the critical injuries during the superbowl game, this team showed how resilliant they are and also how deep they are. It was mentioned in first take today though it is still early that barring anything radical with the collective bargaining agreement, whose to say that if this team is far more healthy than they were this year and for years to come that we aren't looking at a potential dynasty. Possibly two, three more championships within the next five years. Donald Driver may be on his way out soon, but they have alot of depth in the receiving core and they have a reasonably young team... we'll see.

As far as the Steelers go, I will stand by this, had the Jets made it to the Superbowl and had they played the full four quarters of the Steelers to win that game, I will not go as far as to say they would have won the game, but I would've had it as a pick-up game that could have gone either way even seeing how the packers played in this superbowl. I really do think (and this is not a slight @ dorian) that Steelers had exhausted all their resources to beat the Jets in that game and they were fully prepared in the first half while the Jets came out flat. Before this game I was starting to believe all the hype surrounding Roethlisbergers clutchness, but in reality, if you watch the end of the Ravens and Jets games, both 3rd down plays that were converted were more of a tremendous collapse of defense than anything else. Now had the defense shown up, Sanchez would have had 2 minutes to come down which he had been doing throughout the game and which he has done throughout the season; so while I give full credit to the Pack and I was really impressed with how well they played, I do think that Jets vs. Packers really could have gone either way and I think these two will face eachother possibly in future superbowls...

Once again congratulations to the Packers cause they played a fantastic game; and had they're receivers not had butterfingers in a couple of plays which made the game closer than it really was, we might be talking about one of the greatest superbowl QB efforts of all time. 5 balls were dropped, and two that could have gone the distance.

We should have been looking at stats like

28-39
440 yards. est.
5 TD's
0 int.

Rodgers was flatout unstoppable against the #1 defense in the league and with a 3rd string running back that ran the ball a total of less than 10 times... Unbelievable. Basically, they knew what was coming throughout the game, they had the tools to stop it, but they still couldn't...

Last edited by anon1; 02-07-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Congratulations to the Packers for a great victory!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Thanks, I'm still so wired, watched replays all day today! I said, I'll get winter projects, housework, things done when the playoffs are over, after the Super Bowl is over, watched TV part of the day today!

I can't believe Aaron Rodgers, some kind of QB, the way he can throw, amazing. He throws across his body, looking awkward, feet barely on the ground and still hit a receiver, hard to stop the guy. He has great receivers, if he is protected, they spread out, not easy to defend. I really think the Packers caught the Steelers off guard, they weren't prepared.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
I took today off work because I knew I wouldnt be able to focus. I have been wathcing the NFL Network and the highlights over and over again.

The Super Bowl is being replayed on the NFL Network on Wednesday at 6 eastern. Only two hours to replay it.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What it seems to me, however, is that broadcasters show favortism and preference for clearly inferior northern teams, such as Green Bay, Chicago, and Philadelphia over the Falcons
.................................................. .............................

Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM

Hmm, inferior northern teams??? Inferior to the Falcons not really!!! Considering what happened at the game, no wonder they were talking about the Packers!!!

Oddly enough, during the season, I complained several times to my neighbor about the lack of Packer coverage on ESPN. Of course, as the season went on, coverage got way better, deservedly so!

Just my opinion, but sometimes the win/loss record doesn't necessarily tell the story of how good a team is. Look at all the top seed teams that fell early on this year, it happens.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What it seems to me, however, is that broadcasters show favortism and preference for clearly inferior northern teams, such as Green Bay, Chicago, and Philadelphia over the Falcons, which has a 13-3 record and is the number one seed. I can see a case for the Eagles, which the Falcons have admittedly had trouble with, but not Green Bay or Chicago, both of which the Falcons beat this year. Secondly, the announcers towards the end of the season were talking more of the New York Jets and New York Giants than they did the Falcons, a clearly superior team. This again shows the favortism by northern analysts for northern teams, especially those within the megalopolis, particularly New York teams.

Are you talking about the same Packers that just won the Super Bowl and gave the Falcons a beat down in the playoffs?

It isnt really favoritism that gives those teams more coverage, it is history. Chicago and Green Bay are two of the most successful and most storied franchises in the entire sport. They also have a much larger fanbase than the Falcons because of the length of time they have been around and their success.

The Falcons have a couple of good seasons every now and again but have never really made a splash in the league. It will take several years of contention before they get lots of coverage.

The analysts are not choosing who to cover, that is the producer that makes those choices and producers are covering the teams that market research shows that people want to see. The Falcons do not have a huge fanbase even though they are in a large city. They just dont have the history and success. I dont think I have ever met a Falcons fan and I have met a fan of every other NFL team at some point.

There are elite teams in the NFL that will always lead the in media coverage and by elite I dont mean they are always the best but that they are just premiere franchises in terms of fanbases and what people want to see. New York and Boston franchises are among those in every sport just because NY is the largest media market and Boston is their top rival. Chicago is the 3rd largest media market and features one of the longest standing teams in professional sports. The Packers are the Packers and will always get lots of coverage when they are doing well. They have earned that by having more titles than anyone else. Minnesota only received lots of coverage because of Favre and the Randy Moss ordeal. I dont think they will receive as much coverage this year.

Indianapolis and the Giants have Mannings and that is enough to earn coverage and then the Jets have Rex Ryan and a team of trash talkers that attract attention.

The Falcons had a damn good team this year and have a QB that is going to be a super star. I think Matt Ryan and Rodgers will be the next Manning and Brady. I think we will see these two duke it out for NFC titles a couple of times, if not more in the next few years. The Falcons also dont have any outrageous personalities either. If they keep making the playoffs, they will earn their coverage. They also need the city of Atlanta to back the team. There seems to be a lot of Vick fans than there is Falcons fans and Matt Ryan will be a much better QB for the Falcons than Vick ever was.

Finally, why do you care about your team receiving coverage? Honestly, flying under the radar is the way to go. People will underestimate the team and they will avoid the drama that the media causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football