Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:04 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
Twice last night I watched a Jet's defensive player go down when the Patriots were driving the field. The "injured" player was taken out, only to be put right back in the next play.

dirty or great strategy??

your thoughts?
i went ahead and put my questions in bold...please feel free to answer them.

my thoughts are, while it may be dirty to fake an injury to slow your opponent's momentum, if it's legal, it's a great strategy.

also, i'm not sure about the time out situation on this...were the Jets allocated a time out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
i went ahead and put my questions in bold...please feel free to answer them.

my thoughts are, while it may be dirty to fake an injury to slow your opponent's momentum, if it's legal, it's a great strategy.

also, i'm not sure about the time out situation on this...were the Jets allocated a time out?
To answer your questions:

1) dirty or great strategy:

it is gamesmanship. Nothing more, nothing less.

2) your thoughts:

this happens all the time, my thoughts are that it is nothing new, and a non-issue

Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,604 times
Just like videotaping, ALL teams do this sort of "stuff". No problem with it here.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
I think it's bull****, happens all of the time and is completetly within the rules. They ought to change the rules to make it a more severe penalty than making the player sit out only one play. I think it ought to be for the entire series. This is football not soccer, they should try to keep it that way.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I think it's bull****, happens all of the time and is completetly within the rules. They ought to change the rules to make it a more severe penalty than making the player sit out only one play. I think it ought to be for the entire series. This is football not soccer, they should try to keep it that way.

I totally agree with you.

The Pats were charged with a time out. Don't recall the Jets having to use all their timeouts doing that.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I totally agree with you.

The Pats were charged with a time out. Don't recall the Jets having to use all their timeouts doing that.
The Jets were not charged a timeout because if you go back, the injury happened w/more than 2 minutes left in the game. Anytime a defensive injury happens within 2 minutes, that team will be charged w/a TO.

Again, very shrewd by Rex and Co.....

Its legal and no different than a defensive player who is "slow" to get off an offensive player when he makes a tackle w/not much time left in a game....

Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The Jets were not charged a timeout because if you go back, the injury happened w/more than 2 minutes left in the game. Anytime a defensive injury happens within 2 minutes, that team will be charged w/a TO.

Again, very shrewd by Rex and Co.....

Its legal and no different than a defensive player who is "slow" to get off an offensive player when he makes a tackle w/not much time left in a game....

Okay, I understand, but the t/o was charged to the Pats well before the end of the game. I think it was before the 1/2 even. Or am I not remembering correctly?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
With serious neck and head injuries happening all too frequently in the NFL this is a dangerous line of thinking. If a player is not sure to the degree of which he is hurt he is taught to stay down to prevent further damage from trying to move, or hurry back to the sideline. Things like stingers, and just getting your bell rung happen and you will be on the ground for a few minutes after it. I don't think the NFL should design a rule to make players take even more risk than they already do.

You can also argue that it can help the offense or the defense, and stopping the clock can benefit either team, including the offense who might be trailing at that time.

Either way, I don't think the system needs changing, sitting out the next play is a pretty severe penalty.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
With serious neck and head injuries happening all too frequently in the NFL this is a dangerous line of thinking. If a player is not sure to the degree of which he is hurt he is taught to stay down to prevent further damage from trying to move, or hurry back to the sideline. Things like stingers, and just getting your bell rung happen and you will be on the ground for a few minutes after it. I don't think the NFL should design a rule to make players take even more risk than they already do.

You can also argue that it can help the offense or the defense, and stopping the clock can benefit either team, including the offense who might be trailing at that time.

Either way, I don't think the system needs changing, sitting out the next play is a pretty severe penalty.
i completely understand what you're saying about changing the rules...

but, it was very clear what happened last night...brady was moving that offense down the field, the defense was dog tired...they stopped the momentum by having a man go down with an "injury".

like others have said, it happens...but let's call it what it was. great strategy by rex ryan, sure it's a little dirty, but it's also legal...would you expect anything less from the jets? nah...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
i completely understand what you're saying about changing the rules...

but, it was very clear what happened last night...brady was moving that offense down the field, the defense was dog tired...they stopped the momentum by having a man go down with an "injury".

like others have said, it happens...but let's call it what it was. great strategy by rex ryan, sure it's a little dirty, but it's also legal...would you expect anything less from the jets? nah...
The Patsies have done the same thing in the past, so have other teams. The Jets are not the first, last, or only team to have done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football