Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
An observation here. The topic of conversation amped up a tad over Ben Roethlisbereger, which shouldn't surprise very many people. Yes, Ben is a Steeler, a high profile player, and it is to be expected that his off the field incidents will be scrutinized and talked about even moreso with the Super Bowl coming up.

One thing I want to stress though. I'm ok with the people who are pointing out his off the field problems, but with several people wanting to pound the point home on this, then it becomes an off topic problem as nothing but Ben will be discussed. The next step up from that is people "getting in to flame wars". And the thread DOES read "Why do so many people like the Steelers?"

He has not been convicted, much less charged. In this country, the last time I checked you are innocent until proven guilty. And you do have your day in court. I don't mind the conversation about him, but I do mind the "Ben's a rapist" one liners. I had to do some deleting on this thread yesterday regarding this. Thank you.

THANK YOU for being an a #1 mod here! If Marka or *** ever decide to hang up their Super Mod shoes, you should be a shoe in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Never before have the red letters of doom looked so good.
I agree 100%!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:03 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,421,309 times
As a New Orleans Saints person(been a Saints person since the early 1990's Jim Mora Sr. days) I'm not a fan of the Steelers but I have a lot of respect for them. Not because of how many Super Bowls they've won(especially in the 1970's) but how they won it and that is by playing hard knocking non-fenesse football, which is what the Steelers really are since the City Of Pittsburgh is known for hard working people that work in steel factories. Also, since the 1970's that team didn't brag about themselves being the greatest team in the NFL while the Cowboys were which is pretty ironic since the Steelers beat the Cowboys 2 straight times in 2 Super Bowls in the 70's. I say that the Steelers is the most dominate team in the History of the NFL and I don't say that to other teams.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
As a New Orleans Saints person(been a Saints person since the early 1990's Jim Mora Sr. days) I'm not a fan of the Steelers but I have a lot of respect for them. Not because of how many Super Bowls they've won(especially in the 1970's) but how they won it and that is by playing hard knocking non-fenesse football, which is what the Steelers really are since the City Of Pittsburgh is known for hard working people that work in steel factories. Also, since the 1970's that team didn't brag about themselves being the greatest team in the NFL while the Cowboys were which is pretty ironic since the Steelers beat the Cowboys 2 straight times in 2 Super Bowls in the 70's. I say that the Steelers is the most dominate team in the History of the NFL and I don't say that to other teams.
Thanks for your comments about the Steelers. BTW, I am a devout Steeler fan, but I was happy when the Saints won the Superbowl.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Thanks for your comments about the Steelers. BTW, I am a devout Steeler fan, but I was happy when the Saints won the Superbowl.
It was a bonus when Peyton Manning threw the game-winning TD pass to the Saints.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 PM

180 posts, read 526,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
It's not like the workers in Pittsburgh were/are the only hard working people in the country. And the Steelers are not the only hard working team or the only team that won a super bowl largely due to their defense.

Take away the whole "winning" part of the equation, and tell me what makes Pittsburgh any more blue collar than other rust belt cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, or Green Bay. They were all big manufacturing centers and have the same tough mentality which their football teams try to duplicate, even though the coaches and players may not have any connections to the areas at all. And it's not like the admired steel mill and factory workers were/are the ones taking the field.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Here are some more examples of just how many Steelers fan there are everywhere. I live in west Texas, in the middle of nowhere, and in the past 24 hours, have encountered this:

A local donut shop is now selling black and gold donuts and has a big Steelers banner in the window

Two separate people came into my work yesterday, and left angry because we didn't carry any Steelers merchandise. I have never had anyone come in looking for any other team beside Steelers and obvously Cowboys, which is all we sell besides college.

The disc jockey on the radio last night was talking about some upcoming Super Bowl commercials and said "As if you needed another reason to watch the big game, since the Steelers are already in it!"

Someone at the park was walking their dog, and had them dressed in a Steelers outfit.

I found out thet someone at my work just paid $4,000 to get a ticket to the game in Arlington to see the Steelers, even though he has never been out of the state of Texas and his family is from Mexico with no ties to Pennsylvania.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
Here are some more examples of just how many Steelers fan there are everywhere. I live in west Texas, in the middle of nowhere, and in the past 24 hours, have encountered this:

A local donut shop is now selling black and gold donuts and has a big Steelers banner in the window

Two separate people came into my work yesterday, and left angry because we didn't carry any Steelers merchandise. I have never had anyone come in looking for any other team beside Steelers and obvously Cowboys, which is all we sell besides college.

The disc jockey on the radio last night was talking about some upcoming Super Bowl commercials and said "As if you needed another reason to watch the big game, since the Steelers are already in it!"

Someone at the park was walking their dog, and had them dressed in a Steelers outfit.

I found out thet someone at my work just paid $4,000 to get a ticket to the game in Arlington to see the Steelers, even though he has never been out of the state of Texas and his family is from Mexico with no ties to Pennsylvania.
Everyone LOVES a WINNER!! I'm proud to say I love them even when they are losing.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Everyone LOVES a WINNER!! I'm proud to say I love them even when they are losing.
Don't get me wrong. I am not questioning your loyalty.

However, no one would ever openly admit that they only like a team if they are winning. I ask random fans I see "Do you have any ties to Pittsburgh?" They usually say "No, I've just always liked them" I just wish the team could go through another decade like the 80s so we could sort out the fake fans. Plus, even true Steeler fans have had enough success for a while. Time to suffer a little in my opinion! I was somewhat supportive when they won in 2006 since it had been 27 years since their last Super Bowl win, but enough is enough.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post

Mexicans are huge Steeler fans, ever since they played a game in Mexico City!
They continue to grow fans there by doing things like youth football camps.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Mexicans are huge Steeler fans, ever since they played a game in Mexico City!
They continue to grow fans there by doing things like youth football camps.
Those reasons have nothing to do with why this guy is a fan. He has no real answer when I ask him "Why?". Other teams have also played games in Mexico City. I think the Cardnials and 49ers did recently. And I doubt the Steelers are the only team who have held youth camps there.

Do the Brits become fans of a team just because they play a single game there?

Also, funny story. I had a friend from Pittsburgh who lived in Germany for 7 years. He would talk about the Steelers and have Steelers clothing and jackets. Most, not knowing the English spelling, though he was part of some theft ring (which would be Stealers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football