Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM

237 posts, read 379,737 times

Advertisements

Would this conversation REALLY be happening if this was another quarterback with a more "sparking personality"? I think we live in a prom king prom queen world, and really this is about him being not likable more than anything. He always looks miserable,but thats his face. I have NEVER heard broadcasters actually do a "smile count" for another player,but with him its not only about how he plays but how he looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingjupiter View Post
Would this conversation REALLY be happening if this was another quarterback with a more "sparking personality"? I think we live in a prom king prom queen world, and really this is about him being not likable more than anything. He always looks miserable,but thats his face. I have NEVER heard broadcasters actually do a "smile count" for another player,but with him its not only about how he plays but how he looks.
It has nothing to do with a "sparkling personality" but with earning your money. They guy makes millions to throw a football and try to help his team win the Superbowl. That is the sum total of the reason for his existence as far as the Bear and their fans are concerned.

Maybe he was injured, but as someone else said, he has a knee injury, not a head injury. Why wasn't he into the game? Why wasn't he providing leadership and chomping at the bit to help where he could?

I don't give a rat's behind about his personality, but he didn't earn his money or give his 100%, and if I was a Bears fan or coach, that would bother me.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I'm not a big Cutler fan but when you see the guy who is the third string QB outplaying you and your knee is tore up so you can't get back in the game, can any of ya'll say you would have done much different than Cutler did?

Cutler is no saint but a guy who plays through diabetes and got hit as much as he did this season deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to toughness.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
It has nothing to do with a "sparkling personality" but with earning your money. They guy makes millions to throw a football and try to help his team win the Superbowl. That is the sum total of the reason for his existence as far as the Bear and their fans are concerned.

Maybe he was injured, but as someone else said, he has a knee injury, not a head injury. Why wasn't he into the game? Why wasn't he providing leadership and chomping at the bit to help where he could?

I don't give a rat's behind about his personality, but he didn't earn his money or give his 100%, and if I was a Bears fan or coach, that would bother me.

Cutler was 6 for 14 for 80 yards and an interception. He was completely ineffective out there and hobbling around.

Hanie did a much better job out there as he was mobile and he was playing like he wanted to win.

Cutler just didnt show much emotion yesterday at all.

I have torn my MCL and I couldnt even walk. I couldnt even bend my knee much less plant it throw a football or walk and jog around. But, I have also known people that were able too. It isnt about toughness, it is about the specific injury and what is physically allows you to do and not to do.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

175 posts, read 227,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
He obviously wasn't in enough pain to need an ice pack or crutches. He spent most of the second half standing on the sidelines. If you are comfortable enough to stand on the sidelines, it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot more effort to slap a teammate's helmet when he makes a good play or pull your backup aside and offer him some words of encouragement between drives. THAT is what a leader does, and that is why Cutler isn't a leader.
Standing still and running are two different things.

I have had injuries similar...... I could stand without crutches, but couldn't walk.

AGAIN, go tear your MCL and tell me if you can do whats you are expecting if him.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Anyone saying Cutler was not hurt enough to be out of the game is essentially calling Lovie Smith a liar. Smith said Cutler did not want to exit the game, but Smith made the call.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Ya, thats my point IT DOES have nothing to do with a sparkling personality,but on how he plays! You may not give a rats ass ,but MANY others, on many other boards think so, and through out the season let alone now, say otherwise. I still say, if it was another QB, who, with the same injury was well liked to begin with, would not even have his injury questioned in the first place. I wasn't on the sidelines, so I have no idea about how he was, or was not supporting his team. Lovie said, this morning THAT HE and the medical staff pulled him, and that Cutler wanted to play. Also,Hanie has said that he was helping him on the sidelines.
Cutler, ALWAYS has had an indifferent miserable looking expression on his face,thats just how he is. Maybe he was chomping at the bit, again, I wasn't there! I know that I cannot make judgements about him based on body language, or a few quick camera glances at him on the sidelines. However, hes not a passionate, jumping up and down from the sidelines guy, that isn't his personality.I'm a Bears fan, and have been since i was a little kid,and ya i'm disappointed by the outcome.

Last edited by flamingjupiter; 01-24-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingjupiter View Post
Maybe.

Remember a couple of years ago when LaDanian Tomlinson was on the bench with a knee injury? He sat on the bench pretty depressed, too, and the media killed him for it...and he didnt have the rep that Cutler has going into that game. Heck, he even tried to play on the injury before coming out of the game.

As for Cutler, it really doesnt help his case that he wasnt playing well when he went out and the third stringer nearly brought them back.

You know what got lost in this? How bad the second stringer (Todd Collins) played!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Maybe.

Remember a couple of years ago when LaDanian Tomlinson was on the bench with a knee injury? He sat on the bench pretty depressed, too, and the media killed him for it...and he didnt have the rep that Cutler has going into that game. Heck, he even tried to play on the injury before coming out of the game.

As for Cutler, it really doesnt help his case that he wasnt playing well when he went out and the third stringer nearly brought them back.

You know what got lost in this? How bad the second stringer (Todd Collins) played!
The pathetic comedy of Collins was not lost on my boyfriend (who's from Buffalo), was spastically cringing when he saw him suit up lol.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Anyone saying Cutler was not hurt enough to be out of the game is essentially calling Lovie Smith a liar. Smith said Cutler did not want to exit the game, but Smith made the call.
Yup, well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football