Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times

Advertisements

They tried to make it too big, too fast. McMahon was trying to make it into an instant NFL competitor, and that was never going to fly. If they had kept things more modest (sort of like the current UFL), perhaps it could have gone on.

They did have wrestling commentators like Jim Ross doing play by play, which was also a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
I liked Jim Ross as commentator...... But JUST him.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
American football has always had this goofy, over commercialized, self-indulgent, in your face, WWF theatrical style undertone to it. So, why not embrace it?? I guess that is why I actually liked the XFL. In fact, there has only been a handful of gridiron games that I have been able to make it all the way through, and one of them was an XFL game.

What killed the XFL was the uber influential American sports media. They bashed it into the ground, and the monkey hear monkey do American sports fans turned their back on it. Because, from what I remember the ratings for the league were through the roof during the first 4 weeks or so.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
American football has always had this goofy, over commercialized, self-indulgent, in your face, WWF theatrical style undertone to it. So, why not embrace it?? I guess that is why I actually liked the XFL. In fact, there has only been a handful of gridiron games that I have been able to make it all the way through, and one of them was an XFL game.

What killed the XFL was the uber influential American sports media. They bashed it into the ground, and the monkey hear monkey do American sports fans turned their back on it. Because, from what I remember the ratings for the league were through the roof during the first 4 weeks or so.

And leave it to the soccer fan to rain on the "memorial" of a past football league.

That was a reason, but it wasn't the ONLY reason. What killed the XFL was the sorry management. It was fine until Vince basically got shell shocked when NBC pulled away (which was half the reason why the XFL even existed). That's when the extra shots of the cheerleaders and promos of WWF Superstars came. That's when the (obviously) scripted trash talk from players started and the league just dug a deeper hole.

It's funny, because the XFL gave football fans a lot of what "true fans" want.
- Hard hits
- natural grass fields
- no ties
- bump and run coverage
- and "no fair catches"

It even introduced the sky-cam and in game interviews. It made San Francisco's AT&T Park nearly perfect for NFL/NCAA games, gave L.A. a team again, and most of all, it wasn't so damn up tight.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And leave it to the soccer fan to rain on the "memorial" of a past football league.
You know Soccer is a game invented by European women to pass the time while their husbands cooked dinner?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 AM

Please, don't start with that.

This is about the XFL, folks....

Old 01-28-2011, 03:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Please, don't start with that.

This is about the XFL, folks....
...Which is precisely why you've seen the kind of commentary you have in this thread. The problem is that the sarcasm is zooming right over your head. Here, check it out: the XFL was never a viable league. Vince McMahon knew from the outset that he wasn't really going to compete with the NFL. He was just having fun. The more seriously you took the XFL, the farther off base you were. (There; no sarcasm).

Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...Which is precisely why you've seen the kind of commentary you have in this thread. The problem is that the sarcasm is zooming right over your head. Here, check it out: the XFL was never a viable league. Vince McMahon knew from the outset that he wasn't really going to compete with the NFL. He was just having fun. The more seriously you took the XFL, the farther off base you were. (There; no sarcasm).

The sarcasm about soccer?

Because that's what I was talking about.... NOT turning this into another football v. soccer thing.

And sure, the XFL wasn't a "serious" league, but that doesn't mean it didn't have a chance.... for another 5 years, at least.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
JJG is right, let's not get soccer involved here. I do agree with Fred, though. The XFL was about style, bad style at that. If it got the attention of NFL teams and put a lot of people to work, fine. But I don't believe a lot of people caught on with NFL teams. Too bad.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-28-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
It was a bad idea that was never going to work. The league was a novelty that was going to wear off really quickly and it did. It was something people was going to get sick off after a couple of games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football