Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of this years Super Bowl
Great Super bowl 54 65.06%
Super disappointment 29 34.94%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,686,565 times

Advertisements

I think having 2 weeks lead time is a big mistake, way too much hype, and way too much analyzing, get on with the game already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,090,339 times
Te super bowl indeed isn't a game for the common mna to attend unless he is will to atke it as a vaction substitute really. But then no top level sprt championship ios cheap and mnay are impossible to even get tickets to nw days. But at elast it still is a championship that doesn't require pay TV to watch. But it could very well get that way except for the commerical value to those who advertise.I thank the advertisers personally for payig my way.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,977,215 times
It could have been much... much... MUCH, much worse.

The game itself could have been a blow out. It certainly was looking that way early in the game.

And worse yet for Cowboys fans... having the Steelers go two up on the Cowboys in our own stadium.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,489,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I think having 2 weeks lead time is a big mistake, way too much hype, and way too much analyzing, get on with the game already!
I think the 2 weeks is a must. The players get swamped with ticket requests and the like, and they need plenty of time to square all that stuff away. I'd rather put up with the media nonsense if it gives the players adequate time to prepare properly for the game.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It could have been much... much... MUCH, much worse.

The game itself could have been a blow out. It certainly was looking that way early in the game.

And worse yet for Cowboys fans... having the Steelers go two up on the Cowboys in our own stadium.
Ha! A Cowboys fan told me that was exactly why he was rooting for the Packers. However, in the near future, the Packers are going to be going 2 up on the Cowboys anyway, so I'm sure his tune will change soon enough

As far as the game- I'm biased, obviously, but I also remember Super Bowls like Denver-Washington, Denver-San Francisco, Chicago-New England, Dallas-Buffalo (x2), San Francisco-San Diego... so in comparison, this was far from being as bad as those. I approved of it

Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,480,721 times
As a Steeler fan, I have to say it was an incredibly frustrating game. Everytime the Steelers closed in, the Packers would pull away again. But all and all it was not a bad game. Compared to the snoozefest blow outs of the 80's & 90's it was a rip roaring edge of your seat barn burner.

I will agree that the non football aspects - the half time show, the pre-game the ads - were absolutely AWEFUL.

- The vapid celebs on the "red carpet" prior to the game? Please. The interviewers would ask them who they were rooting for and most could'nt even answer. I don't thnk they even know who was playing.
- The Black eyed Peas sucked.
- What's her name flubbed the anthem.
- The Navy had F-18's d0 a $450k fly over on a CLOSED STADIUM. ("Negative Ghost Rider the patttern is full.....")
- I was really looking forward to the Terry Bradshaw - Ben interview prior to the game and that was a huge dud also.
- Why is Bill O'reilly interviewing the POTUS in a super bowl pregame?
- Aside from the VW/Darth Vader spot, I can't remeber one other commercial that was any good the whole game.

About the only thing I did like was the reading of the Declaration of Independence. Fox tried hard, but all and all it was a really bad production.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM

I loved the VW spot (biased I worked for VW)! The barn burner part scared me, as Big Bean beat the Pack in Dec. '09 when they had a 6 point lead! It could have been a lopsided game but for the Packers dropped passes. I wonder what the odds of the same teams repeating are, hasn't happened, has it??

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I wonder what the odds of the same teams repeating are, hasn't happened, has it??
It has. Dallas and Buffalo played in two straight Super Bowls in the early '90s.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM

I know teams have repeated, GB in '67/'68, then '97/'98 plus others!

I didn't realize Dallas/Buffalo played back to back, it would be exciting for Pack and Steelers to play again! I guess I didn't look at the list that close!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Status: "Get the establishment out of Capitol Hill." (set 5 hours ago)

52,774 posts, read 48,163,081 times
If you judge by the game on the field only, then I'd say it was a real good game. If you judge by all the peripherals (commercials, halftime, anthem, etc..), then I thought this year's overall experience was OK. It really could have been better. The analysts and play-by-play did a good job. Yes, as we all know, Christina was off. Some of the commercials, I thought, were good. But the game was a pretty good one, although I wouldn't say it's in the top ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football