Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,028,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Arizona Cardinals ensured the future dynamism of their passing offense by retaining the one element of that offense they couldn't do without. On Saturday, the Cardinals announced that they signed Fitzgerald to a new 8-year, $120 million deal with almost $50 million guaranteed. The extension puts Fitzgerald in Arizona through the 2018 season (at least hypothetically, given the funny nature of NFL contracts), and makes him the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history. Per John Clayton of ESPN.com, only Peyton and Eli Manning(notes), Tom Brady(notes) and Philip Rivers(notes) now have a higher average salary than Fitzgerald.
Selected third overall by Arizona in the 2004 draft out of Pitt, Fitzgerald has amassed 613 catches for 8204 yards, a 13.4 per-catch average, and 65 touchdowns.
When I talked with Fitzgerald in March, he discussed his uncertain future, but in a way that typified his calm and classy demeanor.
"Coach Whisenhunt and his staff have a really good grasp of what's right in terms of winning, and I really like playing for them and in that city. Hopefully, we'll reach an agreement, and I'll be able to end my career there. That's what I would like to do."
Fitzgerald was set to be a free agent after the 2011 season, and there was a provision in his current contract preventing the Cards from franchising him in 2012. One thing that Fitzgerald wanted to see from his only NFL franchise was the re-establishment of stability and excellence at the quarterback position.
To that end, in the offseason, the Cardinals traded a second-round pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie(notes) to the Philadelphia Eagles for the services of quarterback Kevin Kolb(notes), who is now supposed to bring the Cards back to the glory days brought about by Kurt Warner(notes) a few years back. Kolb may never match Warner's talent, but at least he's got Warner's primary weapon at his disposal.
If any proof was needed as to the excellence Fitzgerald brings to the game, that came in 2010, when he caught 90 passes for 1137 yards and six touchdowns with a quarterback rotation of John Skelton(notes), Derek Anderson(notes), and Max Hall(notes). And even with his totals, Fitzgerald went way down last season in Football Outsiders' efficiency metrics, proving that there's only so much any receiver can bring to the table.
The Fitzgerald signing leaves the Cards with several remaining offensive questions. Rookie running back Ryan Williams(notes) suffered a torn patellar tendon in Arizona's 28-20 Week 2 preseason loss to the Green Bay Packers, the team lacks true complementary receivers to take the pressure off Fitzgerald (though Andre Roberts(notes) is an intriguing player), and the offensive line remains a work in progress — especially at left tackle.
But the one thing the Cardinals could not have survived was the loss of Fitzgerald — and now, most likely, they have him for the rest of his career.
Just wow! I have all the respect in the world for Fitzgerald's talent, but the game is about more than just numbers. I know and understand that salaries are about more than just performance, but this guy just doesn't command that type of money imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,230,574 times
Fitz is the defining player on that team. They absolutely needed to get him signed long term. I know they were about 14M under the cap this year.

I think he deserves it as much as any top player deserves to be paid top money.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 PM

297 posts, read 402,702 times
He's the best receiver in the game IMO and the face of their franchise. That postseason he had when they made their super bowl run was unreal. Still a crazy contract though, especially the length. Usually don't see that.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,465,619 times
I commend him on staying with Arizona, I don't believe any player in the world in any sport should get payed that much, but its reality, good on him for staying loyal.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,009,408 times
Because he took one for the team and played in MLB's celebrity softball game.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,230,574 times
Signing Chris Johnson just got more difficult for TN.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,266,069 times
Absolutely deserves it.

100% pure & complete professional, face of the franchise, great in the community, team leader, hard worker .... just a great example that elevates your team

the 1 handed grab he laid out for in the last preseason game was amazing .... if you watch him in preseason you get a good idea of his character on the field

the guy is selling himself out blocking for backup running backs, working off the ball so the other guys can get their work in, selling out for marginal QBs ...... just goes after it

now, aside from that aspect here is the how:

this is his 3rd contract - as a top 5 pick his first two contracts weren't exactly bargains .... on his last contract he had a provision that granted both a no trade clause and a restriction of the use of the franchise tag ....... pure leverage

the cardinals have nothing to replace him with ..... leverage

he has never held out, never talked about his contract, never talked bad about ownership/coaches, etc .... the cardinals try to reward this type of behavior as they try to change their culture

most popular player, face of the franchise, well respected in the locker room, etc ..... if he left it would be a massive blow to the cardinals organization, the fans would riot and it would be almost like the sun devil stadium days again

transition of ownership control ... bill bidwill is notorious as a cheap, unprofessional owner ... his son michael has been more involved over past years and it has been assumed that ever since the new stadium has opened he's been more in control ...... this is the type of signing the cardinals aren't known for .... between this and a bold trade for a QB they are trying to make a statement .... it's no coincidence that it was michael bidwill that was sitting next to larry at the press conference

Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM

26,704 posts, read 41,848,071 times
That is a LOT of money but I can't think of a guy who'd i'd trust with that contract more than Larry.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,461,478 times
Fitz is the best ball-catcher who ever lived in my opinion, hes the face of a franchise that was really struggling for fans when he arrived, and hes as classy and professional as you can get.

He earned and deserves the money

Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,127,443 times
Fitz owns this town.

Folks would have tarred and feathered the Bidwells (team owner) if he ever left the Cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football