Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the NFL or college overtime?
NFL 16 51.61%
College 15 48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,385,881 times

Advertisements

The "sudden death" overtime of the NFL or the rotating overtime of college. Which is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,498,060 times
I voted NFL, BUT with the rule change, I think it's hard to say much about the NFL's system right now. We haven't seen it play out. Either way, playing football, by the same rules as you play the game by, is better than the college system.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,824,569 times
Nfl.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
College. At least that way each team gets a crack at it. That said, I don't like the sort of "fake" scrimmage scenario college overtime uses -- I still want to see "regular" football.

Meanwhile In the NFL, the statistical outcomes are heavily lopsided in favor of the receiving team, which is fundamentally unfair. IMO something to consider is requiring a minimum 4-point margin to win in overtime. That way the receiving team has to do more than just march the ball 40 or so yards to the perfunctory field-goal range and boot it through.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,498,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
IMO something to consider is requiring a minimum 4-point margin to win in overtime. That way the receiving team has to do more than just march the ball 40 or so yards to the perfunctory field-goal range and boot it through.
Thats actually kinda brilliant.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Meanwhile In the NFL, the statistical outcomes are heavily lopsided in favor of the receiving team, which is fundamentally unfair. IMO something to consider is requiring a minimum 4-point margin to win in overtime. That way the receiving team has to do more than just march the ball 40 or so yards to the perfunctory field-goal range and boot it through.

Up until a few years ago, it was actually the team that did not get the ball first that won a majority of games. It was like 55-45 in favor of them. This didnt change until all of the rule changes in the middle of the last decade that aid receivers and offenses.

I have no issue with how the overtime stands. Defense is just as important as offense and if you deserve to win you will not allow the other team to score; it is as simple as that. Both teams do get a crack at it. One team uses their offense and one team uses their defense.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Up until a few years ago, it was actually the team that did not get the ball first that won a majority of games. It was like 55-45 in favor of them. This didnt change until all of the rule changes in the middle of the last decade that aid receivers and offenses.

I have no issue with how the overtime stands. Defense is just as important as offense and if you deserve to win you will not allow the other team to score; it is as simple as that. Both teams do get a crack at it. One team uses their offense and one team uses their defense.
Saying "defense is just as important as offense" ignores the fact that it is fundamentally easier to advance the ball down the field than it is to stop a team from doing so -- especially if there are rules that "aid receivers and offenses." If defense and offense are just as important, each team should have an opportunity to use both in overtime.

That's where I like the college rules better; but in lieu of implementing college-type rules in the NFL, I stand by my suggestion that a team be required to win in overtime by a minimum 4-point margin. That way you're exceedingly likely to have both teams implement their offense and defense in overtime, unless the receiving teams scores a touchdown on their first drive. If your defense is weak enough to allow that to happen on the first overtime drive, then yeah, your team probably doesn't deserve a chance to put its offense on the field. In regulation, it's considered a partial victory for a defense to hold the advancing offense to a field goal. In overtime, it's considered total defeat. That doesn't jibe with me.

Last edited by Drover; 09-13-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,966 times
I like the NFL's rule for the NFL... and the college rule for college.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,799 times
I don't like the college rules that much. I've seen games where they've gone to five or six overtimes and it's obvious that the players are exhausted and are risking injury. It doesn't happen that often, but I think it's a major flaw in how overtimes are done in college. But using NFL rules would be even worse as far as that goes.

Maybe have a sudden death rule for college, but as stated earlier, that gives a big advantage to whoever starts on offense. I like the idea of requiring a certain margin, or maybe not allowing field goals after the first overtime. Or maybe going to sudden death after the second or third overtime.

I also don't like college overtimes on a gameplay level, it's almost similar to a penalty shootout in soccer and is a little too removed from how the game is played during regulation since the possession begins so close to the goal line.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,458,790 times
College Football any day of the week for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football