Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM

272 posts, read 209,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I'm a die-hard Raiders fans and there are no mixed reactions: this is a great trade for both teams.

1. He was never going to play for Cincinnati again.

2. Kyle Boller

I'm sorry, but armchair QBs posting in this thread about "Wow!! They gave up two first rounders!!" Put down the Madden controller: the Raiders have the #1 rushing offense in the N.F.L. The Raiders have one of the best groups of young WRs in the N.F.L. Quietly, DHB has 300 yards receiving and 2 TDs in the last 3 weeks. He went from a guy that couldn't catch anything to a guy that runs crisp routes with effortless speed and he's catching everything. You've got Jacoby Ford and Denarious Moore who have been nothing short of amazing as 4th and 5th round picks, and you've got Louis Murphy coming off of injury. The worry I had as a Raiders fan is NOT giving up future first round picks, it's the idea that with Kyle Boller, teams would have resolved to stacking the line in an effort to take away the run and force Boller into using his arm. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that.

Oakland's going to come out of this thing at 6-2 by the end of their home stand and you'll have Carson Palmer at QB with two wins and a bye week under his belt to lead them through the rest of their season (and I believe, this is a playoff team)

You don't hold on to future picks at the sacrifice of a team that's this good this year. That doesn't make any sense. Is it a lot to give up? Yes. Is it the bold, necessary move that this team needed to make? With Garrard going in for surgery, YES. There's no one else on the market that's anywhere near as good.

He's the thing no one touched on: Hue Jackson (an offensive mastermind) was with Palmer at USC and in Cincinnati. There's a familiarity there that I think makes this a very intriguing fit. I love that they're giving this a try.

Go Raiders.

LET ME BUY YOU A BREW!!!...
....WAITRESS OVER HERE...ANOTHER ROUND ON ME!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM

50,584 posts, read 47,414,627 times
It will be nice if you can shut up some loud mouth Charger fans I work with LOL

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,120,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Raiders don't protect the QB. That should be your worry. If he stays healthy he's good. If he goes down then what? Grossman?
You haven't seen the Raiders this year, evidently. That offensive line is playing like one of the best lines in the league right now. Outside of Samson Satele, who's dealing with a couple of injuries, they've also been pretty healthy.

They're leading the #1 rushing game in the league (and it's not close) and they're doing a pretty good job in pass protection. It's not as if Campbell was injured on a sack - he was running a 10-yard gain for a first down and took and unfortunate pancake-hit.

If you're gonna comment, at least watch the team you're commenting on.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,870,375 times
2 first rounders for Carson Palmer? That's highway robbery. What has Palmer done lately? I think even 1 first rounder would be overpaying.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It will be nice if you can shut up some loud mouth Charger fans I work with LOL
With Palmer now. guaranteed!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,124,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I'm a die-hard Raiders fans and there are no mixed reactions: this is a great trade for both teams.

1. He was never going to play for Cincinnati again.

2. Kyle Boller

I'm sorry, but armchair QBs posting in this thread about "Wow!! They gave up two first rounders!!" Put down the Madden controller: the Raiders have the #1 rushing offense in the N.F.L. The Raiders have one of the best groups of young WRs in the N.F.L. Quietly, DHB has 300 yards receiving and 2 TDs in the last 3 weeks. He went from a guy that couldn't catch anything to a guy that runs crisp routes with effortless speed and he's catching everything. You've got Jacoby Ford and Denarious Moore who have been nothing short of amazing as 4th and 5th round picks, and you've got Louis Murphy coming off of injury. The worry I had as a Raiders fan is NOT giving up future first round picks, it's the idea that with Kyle Boller, teams would have resolved to stacking the line in an effort to take away the run and force Boller into using his arm. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that.

Oakland's going to come out of this thing at 6-2 by the end of their home stand and you'll have Carson Palmer at QB with two wins and a bye week under his belt to lead them through the rest of their season (and I believe, this is a playoff team)

You don't hold on to future picks at the sacrifice of a team that's this good this year. That doesn't make any sense. Is it a lot to give up? Yes. Is it the bold, necessary move that this team needed to make? With Garrard going in for surgery, YES. There's no one else on the market that's anywhere near as good.

He's the thing no one touched on: Hue Jackson (an offensive mastermind) was with Palmer at USC and in Cincinnati. There's a familiarity there that I think makes this a very intriguing fit. I love that they're giving this a try.

Go Raiders.
great post, I'm a Raider fan too.

my only complaint was 2, 1st rounders when his recent play wouldn't warrent 1 first rounder.

But we got him and with our running game I think we'll be good

Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
2 first rounders for Carson Palmer? That's highway robbery. What has Palmer done lately? .
nothing except put on that Silver & Black jersey. He's a new man now.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Time to go update my Fantasy Football roster.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,261,893 times
I thought Al Davis was dead.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,120,702 times
I still don't know the guidelines of the 2nd potential pick in 2013. It might not end up being a 1st round pick. But, quite frankly, if it involves performing ridiculously well and moving the Raiders into the playoffs, I'll gladly pay it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football