Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 PM

28 posts, read 210,209 times

Advertisements

Okay I'm just a person from Milwaukee and Last time I checked The Brewers play all there home games in Milw and the same for the Bucks and the Packers. My question is why in the world would The Giants and the Jets play there home football games in the "Armpit"(New Jersey as called by others) this is the dumbest thing I ever heard of and I have been to New York plenty of times and there is no reason as a Jets or Giants fans should put up with this crap!!!!

Now I hear the Nets built a new stadium in Brooklyn(the home of the coffin) why would the nets and there fans put up with this? is it so the Nets fans can leave work and go straight to the game and then hit Madison.Ave afterwards without driving?

Please inform me, I know there is room in New York for this for there own football stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM

138 posts, read 512,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE POL View Post
Okay I'm just a person from Milwaukee and Last time I checked The Brewers play all there home games in Milw and the same for the Bucks and the Packers. My question is why in the world would The Giants and the Jets play there home football games in the "Armpit"(New Jersey as called by others) this is the dumbest thing I ever heard of and I have been to New York plenty of times and there is no reason as a Jets or Giants fans should put up with this crap!!!!

Now I hear the Nets built a new stadium in Brooklyn(the home of the coffin) why would the nets and there fans put up with this? is it so the Nets fans can leave work and go straight to the game and then hit Madison.Ave afterwards without driving?

Please inform me, I know there is room in New York for this for there own football stadium.
New Jersey lured both the Giants and the Jets away from NYC when the city did not want to pay for new stadiums for them. Since there were not that many home games, it is actually not that big a deal to go to Jersey for a football game. I have actually never been (more because of price and how difficult it is to get tix then because of the location).

The Yankees threatened to leave for Jersey various times in the 80s and 90s, but that never happened, and won't happen for a long time considering they are building a new stadium right next to the old one. Mets are also building a new stadium next to their old one in Queens.

Now I know you are asking why anyone would build a stadium in NYC anywhere else than Manhattan. But the other boroughs are NYC too. Most tourists don't go into them, but there is a lot more space and more neighborhoods with people who were actually born in NYC.

In terms of the Nets, they have been playing in Jersey for years, so Brooklyn would actually be a move into the state and the city. With the amount of nostalgia people still have for the Dodgers, they are betting this will be a good move for them. The price for the naming rights for the new arena (which hasn't been built yet and is by no means a sure thing) has already broken the record for an arena. Barclays is paying $400 million over the next 20 years.

If you never want to leave Manhattan, I'm sure all of this is still a drag, but it is a good thing in my opinion to have things spread out a bit within a city. I don't mean low-density suburban. All of these places are reachable by subway (except for Giants Stadium- again, outside of the city). I can't imagine the congestion if they were all in Manhattan.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Okay I'm just a person from Milwaukee and Last time I checked The Brewers play all there home games in Milw and the same for the Bucks and the Packers.
The Packers don't play in Milwaukee. Is that what you meant to imply?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,791,994 times
Why can't they play in their own stadiums?

The Giants can have Giants Stadium and upgrade it and the Jets can have the new one.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

The Giants can have Giants Stadium and upgrade it and the Jets can have the new one.
What new one? The proposed one on the Westside of Manhattan? That plan was killed off. New Yorkers really didn't want it. I know it sounds like a good idea, and you think how great it would be to have a stadium in the middle of the city, but practically it just doesn't work out. Even the older classic stadiums that are in cities are in more neighborhood type areas that grew around the stadium, like Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Wrigley. I know the new AT&T Park (SF Giants) is kind of in the middle of the city, but most New Yorkers just thought the traffic and congestion would be too much and that the city was footing too much of the bill. It is incredibly expensive to build in Manhattan. Other cities that have built stadiums downtown usually do it to revitalize the areas. You don't really need that in Manhattan.

The Giants and Jets are actually building a new stadium together in the Meadowlands that will not be called Giants Stadium anymore. They are going in together on it 50/50.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

The other thing I should have said is that it is kind of wasteful to build two different stadiums considering the number of home games a football team plays. I mean the stadiums are used for other things like concerts and events, but you would be competing in the metro area with the new Yankee Stadium, new Citi Field (Mets), Madison Square Garden (Knicks, Rangers, Liberty), new Red Bull Park (former Metro Stars), Nassau Colisseum (Islanders), new Prudential Center (Devils), Continental Airlines Arena (former devils, current Nets), and possibly the new Barclays Center (future Bklyn Nets?). My pointn is there are a lot of stadiums/arenas in the area already, many brand new or still being built.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM

28 posts, read 210,209 times
I know GB doesn't play in Milwaukee but can anyone even point to where Green Bay is?
I think the Jets and the Giants should've built there own stadium some where in Brooklyn or in Queens and why not out of Queens a little on long Island somewhere. How are the Nets a good fit for Brooklyn??? let me guess the knicks suck so bad that all NYers just jumped ship to the Nets!!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,527,050 times
As an ex Jersey-an and a sports fan, most of us were pretty mad way back when it all went down.

I boycotted the Giants ever since.

They play in NJ, they collect pay checks from NJ drawn from NJ banks and pay taxes to NJ. Yet they do not want to be called NJ. The Nets do with no bad stigma attached. They have a great following too. I always thought that was the origional problem is no one wanted to be called NJ because of the reputation it has.

If the Giants are playing I always route for them to lose by 200 points.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 AM

13,612 posts, read 20,667,679 times
Quote:
I know GB doesn't play in Milwaukee but can anyone even point to where Green Bay is?
I think the Jets and the Giants should've built there own stadium some where in Brooklyn or in Queens and why not out of Queens a little on long Island somewhere. How are the Nets a good fit for Brooklyn??? let me guess the knicks suck so bad that all NYers just jumped ship to the Nets!!!!!
Well there is a long, tortured history of sports teams and stadiums in New York City.

The Cowboys do not actually play in Dallas proper (Irving) while the Redskins do not actually play in Washington (Landover, MD).

Its nice to have the team actually on the soil, but there is little in the way of economic benefit. Traffic should be a major consideration and that is why many attempts to build a stadium on the West Side of Manhattan were shot down.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,776,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynchapin View Post
What new one? The proposed one on the Westside of Manhattan? That plan was killed off. New Yorkers really didn't want it. I know it sounds like a good idea, and you think how great it would be to have a stadium in the middle of the city, but practically it just doesn't work out. Even the older classic stadiums that are in cities are in more neighborhood type areas that grew around the stadium, like Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Wrigley. I know the new AT&T Park (SF Giants) is kind of in the middle of the city, but most New Yorkers just thought the traffic and congestion would be too much and that the city was footing too much of the bill. It is incredibly expensive to build in Manhattan. Other cities that have built stadiums downtown usually do it to revitalize the areas. You don't really need that in Manhattan.

The Giants and Jets are actually building a new stadium together in the Meadowlands that will not be called Giants Stadium anymore. They are going in together on it 50/50.
What now occupies the site that Ebbets Field used to be on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football