Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
The Patriots have definitely had some questionable calls against them this year, with Kuechly's hold in Carolina being the worst. That being said I'm alarmed at how critical penalties are becoming in the game. It wasn't just the late PI helping out the Patriots today. It was Aqib Talib pulling Gordon to the ground, kicking his legs, and grabbing his face mask and only getting an occasional holding call. That defenseless receiver penalty that helped them get better field position off of the recovery was bunk as well.

Again, I don't believe that the Patriots simply always get calls in their favor, but it really appears that officiating is deciding outcomes. This is important becomes the NFL relies on public funds to help build stadiums. In fact, the tax burden is so great in Cincinnati that they had to sell a hospital to stay above water on construction debts. I'm not necessarily against gambling being a source of revenue for the government, but the NFL is in violation of federal gambling laws if it is indeed fixing games.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds.../date/11-18-13

Isn't it odd how the Patriots lost the game on that call, considering that Vegas didn't peg them as winning? And of course the Browns today were not favored.

IMO the Patriots should have beat the Panthers and lost to the Browns. The reason they didn't was for non-football reasons, and tax payers should be more concerned about this.

Dude I hear your - the Carolina call was awful, I was sore about it for a week. However I don't think the PI in the Browns game was anywhere near as bad. Game is over so we can only talk about it. I totally agree, these missed calls are bad, no matter what side you're on - it eventually bites you - it's a double edge sword, some times it helps, some times it hurts. I believe everyone in the NFL has factored busted calls in and realize they have to make enough plays to offset them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Video looked like his knee was pretty much broken in half on that play. And footage of him being carted off showed a pretty mangled looking knee too. I'd be surprised if it was only an ACL injury. Looked like multiple ligaments.
Once again, this is SIGNIFICANT. If the Pats can't go deep in the playoffs it's going to be traced to this. I would have rather lost this game and have Gronk for the season than have his season end like this.

Sign, NFL in December, sometimes you gotta limp along.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Once again, this is SIGNIFICANT. If the Pats can't go deep in the playoffs it's going to be traced to this. I would have rather lost this game and have Gronk for the season than have his season end like this.

Sign, NFL in December, sometimes you gotta limp along.

Fully agree.

Though I don't think they were going deep with him this year.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fully agree.

I believe they could go all the way to the AFC champ game...not sure now...

Old 12-08-2013, 05:24 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Good win.....but a bad loss.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fully agree.

Really? Pats wouldn't have been the favorite, but they still had a chance to get to the AFC title game and win it.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:18 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Yet another big injury for the Patriots. It was a great win and they now sit at 10-3. But losing Gronk is going to be another blow to the team.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Boy I miss Red Zone and the NFL ticket more than ever now. I was getting updates on this game and saw the Browns take a 26-14 lead with just over 2 minutes remaining.. then i get NOTHING until I see the Pats are on the 1 with 30 seconds left and down 26-21. As expected from that point, the Pats won the game but I didn't get any highlights or explanation of how they pulled out this miracle. It wan't until after the 4 o'clock game when i turned it over to ESPN that I actually discovered how the Pats pulled it out.. recovering an onside kick. I figured as much but it would have been nice for one of the other networks to let us know! argh.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM

5,181 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Boy I miss Red Zone and the NFL ticket more than ever now. I was getting updates on this game and saw the Browns take a 26-14 lead with just over 2 minutes remaining.. then i get NOTHING until I see the Pats are on the 1 with 30 seconds left and down 26-21. As expected from that point, the Pats won the game but I didn't get any highlights or explanation of how they pulled out this miracle. It wan't until after the 4 o'clock game when i turned it over to ESPN that I actually discovered how the Pats pulled it out.. recovering an onside kick. I figured as much but it would have been nice for one of the other networks to let us know! argh.
Welcome to my world..................here in Florida I was watching the internet scoreboard and shaking my head..........decided to cruise Facebook for a sec and I see one of buddies post that the Pats pulled it off with a kick off that they turned into a touchdown. All the highlights just blew through the Pats win.

I truly believe that Pats fans now know to never leave the stadium until the game is over what ever the score may be

Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Dude I hear your - the Carolina call was awful, I was sore about it for a week. However I don't think the PI in the Browns game was anywhere near as bad. Game is over so we can only talk about it. I totally agree, these missed calls are bad, no matter what side you're on - it eventually bites you - it's a double edge sword, some times it helps, some times it hurts. I believe everyone in the NFL has factored busted calls in and realize they have to make enough plays to offset them
It's not a matter of degree. There was no interference by the Browns. There wasn't anything that could even be considered interference by any referee whose decisions aren't predetermined.

Carolina game was probably just as bad, I didn't see it. I also don't have to see it to know that it was not worse. The question to ask here isn't, "who is getting screwed worse," it's "why do NFL refs call so many penalties that anyone can see aren't there?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football