Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 08:19 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

But what can you do, Gordon's talent and fit in the offense are undeniable. With Gronk gone he will instantly be the number 2 option on offense after Edelman.
That still might be James White who had over 120 targets last year and nearly 90 receptions out of the backfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
No team in modern NFL history has dominated as this one has.
And for this reason, the Pats never receive high draft seedings.
Yet somehow they manage to stockpile talent year after year.
Would sure love to know how they do it, as no other GM in 2 decades has managed to copy the system.
Loopholes in acquiring NFL talent would have been found by other teams long ago.
Upon asking fans of other teams how this unlikely scenario has transpired, answer is always the same; they cheat.
Yet, I can't help but think your system is similar to how Nick Saban recruits for Alabama.
Would love to hear opinions on how your team has managed to stay on top for 20 years, Brady helps but isn't the reason.

I'm in(Bear fan)Aaron Rodgers division, his team's GM has been up and down; not always providing enough talent support to win.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
And for this reason, the Pats never receive high draft seedings.
Yet somehow they manage to stockpile talent year after year.
Would sure love to know how they do it, as no other GM in 2 decades has managed to copy the system.
Loopholes in acquiring NFL talent would have been found by other teams long ago.
Upon asking fans of other teams how this unlikely scenario has transpired, answer is always the same; they cheat.
Yet, I can't help but think your system is similar to how Nick Saban recruits for Alabama.
Would love to hear opinions on how your team has managed to stay on top for 20 years, Brady helps but isn't the reason.

I'm in(Bear fan)Aaron Rodgers division, his team's GM has been up and down; not always providing enough talent support to win.
1. it isn't about "talent".... there are many, many more talent laden teams in the NFL every year. Patriots never lead the league in Pro Bowlers or All Pros.....look at the recent NFL All 100 list...only 4 Pats on the list and 2 were in the 90's

2. There are no "loopholes"....Pats are just better at finding players that fit the system through all means necessary, draft, trades, free agents, UDFA's. They also play the best players regardless of how they got there, if an UDFA is outplaying the high round draft pick....the UDFA plays and the high round pick sits....or gets cut..

Sounds simple and democratic....however very few teams will actually do this.

3. Owner doesn't meddle....BB has final say in personnel decisions. How many titles could the so called "America's Team" have actually won if the owner wasn't so self serving???

4. How exactly do you think there is ANY relation between Alabama recruiting and the Pats??? Other than the fact that BB and Saban are close friends I don't get that analogy at all...

College football recruiting is the wild, Wild West and of course Saban has a leg up on pretty much every other coach not named Dabo Swinney when it comes to recruiting Blue Chip talent...he can pretty much have his pick of the best talent in the country....NFL doesn't work that way at all

The Pats have a slight edge in getting some free agents who are "chasing a ring" the way Saban can pretty much promise recruits they will likely be playing for National Championships but that whole narrative is WAAAY overblown....the number of big name free agents who have come over and actually helped win SB's is very small

4. Brady covers up a LOT of flaws....going back to point 1, Brady has had made very pedestrian pass catchers look much better than they were....Montana, Elway, Manning all had much better supporting casts on offense with multiple HOF worthy receivers and backs on the field with them..

Brady has had one...Gronk....and Moss for a couple of seasons (but he didn't help win any SBs)

5. Last point on NFC North and Aaron Rodgers.....Rodgers is a more talented "thrower of a football" and a much better athlete than Brady.....but as far as being a QUARTERBACK???? He can't hold Brady's jock...

Brady is the better leader by lightyears, better team mate and the much, much better clutch performer when it matters.

Rodgers has had better receivers over the years than Brady, but Brady has benefited from better defenses and much better coaching....

Of course Brady has always been willing to be coached and is a team first guy compared to the ME first Rodgers

Old 08-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Rodgers has had better receivers over the years than Brady, but Brady has benefited from better defenses and much better coaching....
I had a long post all typed out that mostly echoed what you have covered. But I lost it and don’t have time or patience to go back and type it out.

To this point, I’m not sure I would say it is true any longer. Of course, when I talk about receivers in this sense I include any player that is a pass catcher so Te’s and Rb’s included. I think that is only fair.

True, pre-2007 and 3x Super Bowl champion Tom Brady had average pass catchers. And 2010 1x super bowl champ champ had a pretty good stable of guys consisting of Greg Jennings in his prime and a up and coming Jordy Nelson, aging Donald Driver and above average TE in Germichael Finley. But that was probably around the peak of their pass catching core and I’d say it’s been downhill for a few years now at least. Including an entire season missed by Jordy Nelson with an ACL.

Since 2007, the combination of Welker and Moss and then Gronk and Welker and then Gronk and Edelman and most recently Gronk, Edelman and James White has been pretty good to Brady. I think I have that order correct. Just going off the top of my head.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Really, no team has ever dominated like the current streak of the Patriots.

The last time an NFL team ripped off six titles in 18 (or fewer) years was the Bears, who won six in the 15 seasons between 1932 and 1946. The only other team to do it was the Packers, with six championships between 1929 and 1944 (16 seasons). But except for the 11-team 1929 campaign, the league never had more than 10 teams at a time during that span - and had as few as 8 teams for several of those seasons - so it was much easier winning the league title then than it is winning either the AFC or the NFC is now. In making it to nine Super Bowls in 18 seasons, the Patriots have had to triumph over 15 other AFC teams each of those seasons. Those Bears and Packers teams only had to triumph over between 7 and 9 other teams (except for 1929, when the Packers had to finish ahead of 10 teams).

Balanced for league size, the only historical dynasty that really compares is the Yankees run from the 1920s to the 1960s, which included 39 consecutive winning seasons, 29 pennants, and 20 World Series titles over a 44-year window.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
The NFL Channel has reported that offensive center David Andrews was hospitalized over the weekend for blood clots in his lung.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The NFL Channel has reported that offensive center David Andrews was hospitalized over the weekend for blood clots in his lung.
Yeah very scary.....David is a lucky man, sometimes the first symptom of a pulmonary embolism is sudden death and even if it happens in a hospital resuscitation is not likely

He is an unsung hero for the team and is likely done for the year.

Best case scenario would be IR with designation to return and maybe makes it back for the end of season/playoffs.

Treatment with blood thinners for a minimum of 3 months and possibly longer means he can't play football while on the medication...

Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 AM

See you guys picked up Bodine who started 10 or so games for us last year. That must be a good news / bad news thing when McDermott calls a player into his office. Bad news is we traded you. Good news is you are going to be snapping the ball to Tom Brady now. Not sure, if Bodine is your starter now or just on the roster for back up purposes.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 PM

And just like that.....worst receiving corps to best

Book your Super Bowl tix now Pats fans

Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Quote:
And just like that.....worst receiving corps to best

Book your Super Bowl tix now Pats fans
Sure seems like it...….GO PATS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football