Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
One of these days I'm going to start a thread regarding the woulda-coulda-shouldas; in the case of Marcus Dupree, he not only fits this category, but he could surely fit in the greatest running backs---if only.

And the "if only" was a horrible knee injury, one that today's knee surgeons might not be able to sustain a young man's career like Marcus.

He got out of the gate like a stallion. As a freshman at Oklahoma he was named 2nd team All-American at running back. The guy was amazing. Sadly after a couple years he fell out of favor with the Oklahoma coaching staff (namely Barry Switzer), left Oklahoma and went to Southern Miss. I can't remember all the particulars, but if memory serves he was docked by the NCAA for a year because of that move (eligibility problem perhaps?)

Anyway, the USFL took him in and he signed with the New Orleans Breakers. Sadly that awful injury shelved him. I give credit to him as four years later he boldly attempted a comeback by the urging of Bear great Walter Payton. (!) He was signed by the L.A. Rams but sadly only played a season and a half, and by 1993 that was it.

A couple years back ESPN made a solid documentary on their "ESPN 30 for 30" program, telling about the Marcus Dupree story. Sad, he coulda been one of the greats.
The "if only" thread sounds like a great idea.

The USFL gobbled up a few guys didn't they... I actually didn't know a knees injury is what ultimately kept him out. For some reason I thought it was drugs. That's sad then...

It says a lot about Walter Payton encouraging Dupree to make a comeback. And Obviously Dupree had some heart and determination to make it. Sounds like if he had been healthy he would have been one of the greatest.

Good Stuff HH as always...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
1) Jim Brown
2) Barry Sanders
3) Emmit Smith
4) Walter Payton
5) OJ Simpson
6) Marshall Faulk
7) Gale Sayers
8) Eric Dickerson
9) Tony Dorsett
10) Earl Campbell
I like it but will make some minor adjustments that are strictly my opinions

1) Jim Brown- Most dominate, size and speed.
2) Barry Sanders- Most elusive, quick cutter and hardly ever fumbled.
3) Marshall Faulk- Great back and the greatest receiver coming out of the backfield ever!
4) Emmit Smith- Most consistent, did it the longest, 3 SB nuff said.
5) Walter Payton- Another iron man ran with beauty and grace. Workedout almost as hard as Jerry Rice.
6) LaDainian Tomlinson- Probably would be 3 or 4th if he didn't choke in the post season. Solid back.
7) Eric Dickerson- Probably the best beginning of of a career ever, fumble a lot and got old quick.
8) Earl Campbell- The bruiser, puinsher and the biggest thighs ever.If only he could have stayed healthy.
9) Curtis Martin- Most underrated back ever, very consistent and never ever cough up the ball.
10) Bo Jackson- Just imagine what could have been...................

Last edited by BigMike50; 06-23-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I like it but will make some minor adjustments that are strictly my opinions

1) Jim Brown- Most dominate, size and speed.
2) Barry Sanders- Most elusive, quick cutter and hardly ever fumbled.
3) Marshall Faulk- Great back and the greatest receiver coming out of the backfield ever!
4) Emmit Smith- Most consistent, did it the longest, 3 SB nuff said.
5) Walter Payton- Another iron man ran with beauty and grace. Workedout almost as hard as Jerry Rice.
6) LaDainian Tomlinson- Probably would be 3 or 4th if he didn't choke in the post season. Solid back.
7) Eric Dickerson- Probably the best beginning of of a career ever, fumble a lot and got old quick.
8) Earl Campbell- The bruiser, puinsher and the biggest thighs ever.If only he could have stayed healthy.
9) Curtis Martin- Most underrated back ever, very consistent and never ever cough up the ball.
10) Bo Jackson- Just imagine what could have been...................
Curtis Martin is a stretch... serious stretch. Especially over OJ, TD, or Sayers.

Everything else is fine...

Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 AM

570 posts, read 581,137 times
Lets look at the big picture...smith and faulk played on teams that were loaded with talent OLINE WR QB taking the focus off of them...walter played on a team that sucked for years he was the focus of the D...Payton hands down...

Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 AM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
I have never been more excited to watch a game of football then when Barry was playing the game. It's hard to watch now. And no one is even close. I didnot get to see Jim, gale, but Curtis is not on this list. As a jets fan, Curtis has put me to sleep many times. And those were his good game. Am hoping Peterson step up soon.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Curtis Martin is a stretch... serious stretch. Especially over OJ, TD, or Sayers.

Everything else is fine...
Sayers- Too many injuries, too short of a career.

O.J. -the only top ten list he belongs is America's most wanted.

Tony D- good consistent back but...

Curtis Martin ran for over 1,000 yards in his first 10 years as a pro, only Sanders was the only other one to do accomplish that. Finished his career as the forth all-time rusher with over 14,000 yards. Was the oldest running back to ever lead the NFL in rushing almost 1,700 yards at the age of 31 when most RB's are done and retired by that age! 119 consecutive starts as a RB 3rd all time, 7th all time in yards from scrimmage, 12th all time in rushing TD's. Durable and consistent and a second ballot HOF'er.

*Ok I'm a little biases the J-E-T-S are my favorite team

Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Sayers- Too many injuries, too short of a career.

O.J. -the only top ten list he belongs is America's most wanted.

Tony D- good consistent back but...

Curtis Martin ran for over 1,000 yards in his first 10 years as a pro, only Sanders was the only other one to do accomplish that. Finished his career as the forth all-time rusher with over 14,000 yards. Was the oldest running back to ever lead the NFL in rushing almost 1,700 yards at the age of 31 when most RB's are done and retired by that age! 119 consecutive starts as a RB 3rd all time, 7th all time in yards from scrimmage, 12th all time in rushing TD's. Durable and consistent and a second ballot HOF'er.

*Ok I'm a little biases the J-E-T-S are my favorite team
You have Bo Jackson on your list.. But you say Sayer's career was too short?

TD... Had more TD's and higher yards per carry than Martin.

OJ's off the field has nothing to do with football... That's just stupid. The man ran for 2K in a 14 game season.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You have Bo Jackson on your list.. But you say Sayer's career was too short?

TD... Had more TD's and higher yards per carry than Martin.

OJ's off the field has nothing to do with football... That's just stupid. The man ran for 2K in a 14 game season.

OJ had arguably the greatest season ever in 1973 but he only broke 1,000 yds 5x's out of 11 years in his career. He's in my opinion the Roger Maris (1961) of Football.

Curtis Martin(lowest fumble rate ever in the NFL) broke 1,000 yards in 10 out of is 11 years. He was way more durable, fumbled a lot less, caught way more passes, scored more TD's, a way better blocker, better in protection then OJ. He carried the ball more then 20 times a game over 100 x's. He didn't have OJ's speed or agility but what he lacked he made up with incredible vision, determination and perseverance. Curtis never went out of bounds to avoid hits, he was a machine, extended drives, the ultimate work horse. This man defines the word "warrior"

Sometimes pure numbers don't tell the whole story...and also I think he's made up a stronger moral character then OJ. But again that's only my opinion. I look at their complete body of work, to me it favors Curtis.

You or others may agree or disagree.... that's fine

Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
I see Bo Jackson as a what if but you could have easily added Okoye too but even better than both is one of my Steelers... The Bus, Jerome Bettis. Obviously he's not a top 5 but maybe he could crack the top 10.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
OJ had arguably the greatest season ever in 1973 but he only broke 1,000 yds 5x's out of 11 years in his career. He's in my opinion the Roger Maris (1961) of Football.

Curtis Martin(lowest fumble rate ever in the NFL) broke 1,000 yards in 10 out of is 11 years. He was way more durable, fumbled a lot less, caught way more passes, scored more TD's, a way better blocker, better in protection then OJ. He carried the ball more then 20 times a game over 100 x's. He didn't have OJ's speed or agility but what he lacked he made up with incredible vision, determination and perseverance. Curtis never went out of bounds to avoid hits, he was a machine, extended drives, the ultimate work horse. This man defines the word "warrior"

Sometimes pure numbers don't tell the whole story...and also I think he's made up a stronger moral character then OJ. But again that's only my opinion. I look at their complete body of work, to me it favors Curtis.

You or others may agree or disagree.... that's fine
If numbers don't tell the story then why do you keep quoting Martin's?

Martin played 2 more games than OJ did EVERY year... That adds up to almost 2 seasons more worth of games

The eyeball test favors OJ... it's ok for you to like Martin better as a preference. But to try to say he was better is blasphemy. He clearly was not... Hence a first ballot vs a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football