Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Geez no stereotyping there.... can't imagine why you don't care.

I have given up on changing the minds of CD bigots. I find it offensive as do many others... so I care.
And you never answered my question:

How does changing the name improve the daily lives of America's original people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

How does changing the name improve the daily lives of America's original people?
I doubt he will ever answer that question. Usually people like that dodge tough questions like Mohammad Ali used to dodge punches in the boxing ring.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I doubt he will ever answer that question. Usually people like that dodge tough questions like Mohammad Ali used to dodge punches in the boxing ring.
it's Muhammad Ali, tho I suppose it appropriate you'd mess that up too

Old 06-19-2014, 01:09 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it's Muhammad Ali, tho I suppose it appropriate you'd mess that up too
Okay grammar police, as the only thing you can correct me on is a misspelled letter. As if that one misspelled letter was going to stop you from knowing the identity of that very famous boxer I was referring to.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:50 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Every poll we've seen is pretty dated. It says 10% find offense, while 90% do not.These are the numbers those who do not think the name should change are using. But just how many of that 90% are merely indifferent as opposed to those who feel very strongly in favor of keeping the name? I suspect it's a pretty big number. So we may have a situation where 10% are very upset and offended, 10% take great pride and would be very upset with a change, and the other 80% fall somewhere in the middle. So let's not automaticlly assume the 10% is such a small number and the other 90% feel equally strong the other way.

And again we are using old numbers. The tide has certainly turned in this country over the past 6 months and I don't just mean Bob Costas. I suspect if the poll was done today it may be very very different than the figures the team and the name supporters are using.

Sincerely,

The New And Much Calmer Dave in MtAiry.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-19-2014 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Considering how many problems the Native Americans face every day I don't doubt this is pretty low on their list of things that need fixing. Maybe if they could get out of a poverty cycle where their homes look like they belong in the 3rd world they may have more time and interest in having a united and overwhelming opinion on derogatory sports team names.

But that also doesn't mean the ones who do care should shut up or be instantly dismissed because there are other problems.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:17 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:

I'm not a Native American so I can't answer how it would help them.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 PM

I never understood the argument that the other problems NAs face should mean this topic should be dismissed. Just seems like a reach, they are not mutually inclusive. You do not need to solve all the NA's problems to have compassion, understanding and want to support a move that would heal some very deep wounds.

Same thing with the whole "they didn't have a problem with the name for the first 80 years" agrument. Again that's like saying we should dismiss the civil rights movement because AA's "didn't seem to have a problem" with persecution for 200 years. It's the exact same mentality and it makes no sense to me. As another poster stated change takes time. Unfortunately

Old 06-19-2014, 02:43 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Okay grammar police, as the only thing you can correct me on is a misspelled letter. As if that one misspelled letter was going to stop you from knowing the identity of that very famous boxer I was referring to.
well considering he's the most famous person that ever lived...whatever, I'm guessing you're probably a Smokin' Joe fan anyway

Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well considering he's the most famous person that ever lived...whatever, I'm guessing you're probably a Smokin' Joe fan anyway
I see what you did there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football