Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
There's a huge difference between comparing "redskin" to the N-word. The n-word has always been, by definition, an insulting word. At no time was it ever a harmless term. Redskin, on the other hand, does not have a harmless origin. At least, there is no factual, historical documentation to back up any indication of such allegation. So, if you change the name of the Redskins, might as well change the name of the other NFL teams that bring a negative condentation.

That's not true. The n-word, just like redskins, never started out as a pejorative (as another poster indicated that redskins was used by Native Americans ... kind of like how black_Americans use the n-word with each other).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, but I'm not Native American.

And I find it funny how no one ever seems to ask this same question about Notre Dame...
Has any Irish people find it to be derogatory?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Has any Irish people find it to be derogatory?
HAVE they? You're asking the wrong person.

I brought that up because it's still referencing people, and as we've seen, it really doesn't have to be a derogatory name like "redskin". It could just be a group of people (pretty much Native Americans and Native American tribes) like Miami (OH), ULM, Syracuse, Arkansas State, North Dakota, and so on, who have all changed mascots.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM

349 posts, read 260,572 times
Is the name "Redskins" offensive to you?

No.

Is the name "Chiefs" offensive to you?

No.

Oh, let us all be correct and maybe call them the Washington "Scum Senators" and the Kansas City "Wild Plainsmen."

Hmph!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,051 times
It depends on who you ask. The Florida State Seminoles asked the Seminole tribe of Florida for permission of use of their name and they accepted, if the Redskins organization asked the groups of Indians considered "Redskins", then maybe it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times
When the name of a sports team impacts any portion of my life I'll be the first to complain...

Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
When the name of a sports team impacts any portion of my life I'll be the first to complain...
Thank you. To this day, I can't understand how people who aren't Native American can speak for them.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I'm not offended but then again I'm not an Indian. I don't understand why we need ot be so PC nowadays Every one is offended by something but when I hear a name like Redskins I do think of Indians but I don't think poorly of them I think about their fine tradition of pride and brave warrior mentality. Being brave tough and strong are excellent virtues for any team.
In the news paper comics there is a character named Mawsquaw. I have heard that squaw is a derogatory word for the female reproductive bits. Now that is offensive.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Thank you. To this day, I can't understand how people who aren't Native American can speak for them.
That makes two of us. Purely an aside, but over the years I've discovered that far too many who " speak out" have as much native dna as my brother in law.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 AM

518 posts, read 406,698 times
I would acknowledge that there are people who claim to be speaking on behalf of certain causes and who then go out to find outrage wherever they perceive it to exist, but when you really look at this issue objectively, it's pretty obvious that the name Redskins is patently offensive. I admit, I would feel weird and, though I feel a bit hypocritical for admitting it, I might even feel nostalgic for the name Redskins if they were to remove it. But there's just no way around it: it's an offensive term. It really does need to be phased out somehow. They could keep the logo and call them the Warriors or something like that, but "Redskin" is just unacceptable in this day and age. Would the Asian population accept the San Francisco Yellow Menace or would we expect Latinos to be cool with the Houston Wetbacks? The New Orleans Negroes? It's not about being p.c.; it's about being sensitive and having respect for other people. I don't think the Cleveland Indians or the Atlanta Braves is necessarily a problem, but Redskin is a very derogatory term that goes well back into the 19th Century conflicts with Natives. It's just wrong to keep rubbing that into those old wounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football