Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Saturday games the last two weeks of the season and playoffs are fine. I hope that doesn't increase
By then college football is over at least in division 2 as regular season ends November 10 and the title game is Dec 15 so if the NFL wants to have a Saturday game after that its ok with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
By then college football is over at least in division 2 as regular season ends November 10 and the title game is Dec 15 so if the NFL wants to have a Saturday game after that its ok with me.
And that's how it should stay. If they start taking away games from sunday to have on saturday combined with the bye weeks and thursday and monday night games, Sunday wouldn't be the same since it would only be 6 games total during the day. And that would decrease the appeal of Sunday ticket and Redzone

Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 AM

612 posts, read 843,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Other than the two Thanksgiving games, I do not care for Thursday Night Football. Most of the time, I forget that they are on and the match-ups are not that intriguing.

The NBA and MLB have more games in a season than the NFL so they are going to play more games in a week.
Oh wow, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. I think Thursday Night Football is stupid, it just has never seemed natural, football is for Sundays and Mondays, with this, it seems as though the NFL values money more over tradition and player health. And Thursday night is supposed to be for college football anyways.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM

570 posts, read 581,082 times
I dont like thursdays and the short turn around...give me saturday evening...

Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Oh wow, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. I think Thursday Night Football is stupid, it just has never seemed natural, football is for Sundays and Mondays, with this, it seems as though the NFL values money more over tradition and player health. And Thursday night is supposed to be for college football anyways.

Is that why I haven't been watching the games on Thursday?-lol

Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
I dont like thursdays and the short turn around...give me saturday evening...
Never going to happen. Can't interfere with college games.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
By 1961 the NFL had overcome its resistance to television, in part responding to the rival American Football League’s decision to televise all of its games under a contract with NBC. The NFL signed its own single-network contract with CBS. Unfortunately, Judge Grim, who retained jurisdiction over the earlier Justice Department case, said this also violated his previous decision. As Grim saw things, individual NFL clubs could not transfer their broadcasting rights to the league as an entity. The fact that the AFL, which was not subject to his order, had entered into the exact same sort of contract was irrelevant.

The NFL petitioned Congress to overturn Grim’s decision by carving out a special antitrust exemption for single-network television contracts. Congress obliged and enacted the Sports Broadcasting Act (SBA) in 1961, which protected not just the NFL and AFL, but also Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, and the National Hockey League. Under the SBA, teams could “pool” their broadcast rights under their respective leagues and negotiate television deals as a single entity, without fear of violating the antitrust laws. (Note the SBA did not apply to the NCAA, which is why Georgia and Oklahoma were able to pursue their antitrust lawsuit nearly 20 years later.)

But the story didn’t end there. Congress did impose one condition on the professional football leagues. The SBA would not apply if any television contract allowed the NFL (or at the time, the AFL) to broadcast games “on any Friday after [6 p.m.] or on any Saturday during the period beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December.” In other words, the NFL could not televise games if they competed directly against college football. The NFL and AFL readily agreed to this restriction, as they already restricted their schedules to Sunday afternoons.

The Friday-Saturday restriction was the direct result of lobbying from the NCAA. A House committee noted in its report on the SBA, “[NCAA representatives] are convinced that uncontrolled televising of professional football games could be ruinous to what is known as in-person attendance at college games. It is their position that professional football should not be granted exemption from the antitrust laws for package television contracts at the expense of intercollegiate football.”

Ever Wonder Why College Games Are On Saturday & NFL Games Are On Sunday? | Saturday Down South
Bugs Bunny 7, this is Manderly's response from October 7th (page one-post #7)

Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM

63 posts, read 169,764 times
The only reason we now have a full season of Thursday night games is because of the NFL Network. A full season of live games on NFL Network equals higher subscriber fees (and in turn more money for the NFL).

I believe this is as far as the NFL schedule will ever go. Tuesday and Wednesday nights pose too much of a logistical/scheduling issue and Friday & Saturday are out due to HS/College. In addition, tv viewing is normally much lower on Friday & Saturday nights.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times
I think the NFL product will get worse if they have games too many days per week. Leave it as it is now.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Why is it stupid? They have little competition and entire network that they need to grow and promote. It gives the league another night to show a marquee matchup. Player health? How does it negatively impact player health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football