Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 AM

417 posts, read 365,777 times

Advertisements

What is your guys take on this?

When I lived in Cincinnati, you dare not declare you were a Browns fan. Being a fan of either team was depressing, and while the Bengals still hold a place in my heart (I'm a Packers fan), this isn't the biggest rivalry in my opinion.

Growing up a Cowboys fan when I lived in Texas (I was born in Dallas), we always hated the 49ers with a passion, along with the Giants.

In my opinion, and maybe because I'm biased living in Bear territory as a Green Bay fan, there is a sort of bitterness between the two teams that I don't think most teams come even close to. Bears fans (99% of my best friends) all live for the days the Packers lose to ANY team, and I of course enjoy watching the Bears melt down every year. I'm not sure why the Bears/Packers rivalry is much deeper than the Packers/Vikings or even any rivalry that might exist between any NFC north team and the Lions, but it is pretty brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Redskins and Cowboys used to have a pretty big rivalry, and still do. But because both teams have sucked for the last 10+ years, its kinda faded.

I'd argue that Packers/Bears and Ravens/Steelers have the biggest rivalries right now.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Brutal is a good way to put it! Bears/Packers being the older franchises, close in distance, many contributing factors! I know there are rivalries for many teams but to me, the ones from the beginning of football are the most intense.

I feel it as a transplant from Illinois to Wisconsin. I was always following both teams, my dad did the same. I follow all the NFC North teams. I've always said I'm not a diehard fan. I'm in Wisconsin and want the Packers to win. If the Bears go farther than the Pack this year, I won't cheer for them to lose, not so sure about the Vikes, jury still out.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
There are quite a few. Personally for me its the Eagles and Giants (long since 1933 but not as long as the Bears and Packers may be the longest running)

Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
National Football League rivalries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
If the Browns were any good over the last several years, the rivalry with the Steelers would really stand out. Unfortunately, in order to have a rivalry, you have to have two good teams, teams that have been good for a long period.

I would agree that the Steelers and the Ravens, along with Bears and Packers, is probably the highest intensity currently. Re: Eagles vs Giants, I think this is fueled mostly by many Philadelphians hatred for New York City. Even with the Giants most recent success, I think New York pays more attention to baseball, and that is a shame.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Vikings have had a great rivalry going back to the Tommy Kramer days with the local coppers.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
How about one of the best rivalries of recent years. One shaped by TV ratings: The Colts and the Patriots, Peyton versus Brady. The networks demanded they face off yearly..........TV ratings dictated it should be so.

But, currently I think the rivalry between the Steelers and the Ravens, each wanting to demonstrate who is the most dominant defense is the one which is most fun to watch.
I can't stand the Ravens. I can't stand Ray Lewis but I am truly sad to see him out for the year just like I was saddened to see Ed Reed injured. Two Hall of Famers (first round) for sure.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
I don't think any one NFL rivalry trumps all the others. There are several really good ones though:

Bears-Packers: Both of these teams have been good lately. I have heard this is the oldest and most played rivalry in the NFL.

Redskins-Cowboys: I used to consider this the best rivalry in the NFL, but it has fallen on hard times with both teams (especially the Skins) struggling the past several years. These are two historically good teams, but they haven't had success recently so the rivalry isn't as big as it used to be.

Steelers-Ravens: This is a new rivalry but seems pretty intense. Both teams are known for tough defenses and both cities are known for being a bit more blue-collar, so this one seems natural.

Falcons-Saints: A big regional rivarly, and growing in national exposure with both teams playing better in recent years. If the Falcons can win a Super Bowl and/or the two teams meet in the playoffs this one will continue to be more and more well known.

Some other good ones are Raiders-Chiefs, Pats-Colts (esp when Brady and Manning were playing), Giants-Eagles, Browns-Bengals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football