Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM

5,804 posts, read 5,605,947 times

Advertisements

^^^^^and that is something I forgot to mention in my post--the play calling has been inconsistent! That is not Wilson's fault...

Part of being a team that starts a rookie QB is playing to your strength as a team and not putting your rookie in difficult-to-manage situations. You're right, on third and short, your obvious goal should be Lynch. They have a dominate offensive line that blocks down on runs and has kept Wilson pretty clean. I think Carroll is maybe afraid to give Wilson too much freedom for fear of overwhelming him, and I understand that. He gets overwhelmed, then we'll start seeing the forced throws and turnovers at a higher clip. However, from what I've saw, he's ready to be giving a little more responsibility to....

I said it b4 and I'll repeat it: its the wideouts man! They dropped 5 passes against San Fran, a team that really isnt as good as we first thought. Two of those passes would've been at least 10 pts, and only 7 was need to beat the Niners. Those wideouts, man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,558,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Seattle is good this year because of their defense and Marshawn Lynch. While Russell had a good game against the Patriots, he's looked HORRIBLE several times this season. And we all know that he threw a game ending interception against the Packers, not a TD LOL. Him only being 5'11, he gets a lot of tipped balls, and the angles he has to throw the ball to get it over defensive lineman means the ball is in the air longer, giving DB's more time to react.

He's done okay so far, but I wonder how good they'd be with Flynn in there. While it may sound like I'm hating on the guy, Wilson is not the reason the Seahawks are off to a good start this season.

+ 1

how many times is he throwing the ball in some of these games?

he isn't the real reason they're where they are now, kind of like Alex Smith in San Francisco, now matter what, he's not losing games, not making dumb decisions but he's not exactly winning SF games either.

it's the same with Wilson.

give it time and he'll be shown for what he is, give the scouts time to break him down. If he's still "great" into the first qtr. of next year I'll be impressed.

it's a team game and he's got a very good running attack which will alleviate a lot of QB problems.

See: Cam Newton this year.

Wilson's done very little to actually win games more or less "on his back."

Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,100,912 times
As of today, here are Russell Wilson's numbers:

Pass Completions - 28th
Pass Attempts - 29th
Completion % - 24th
Yards - 28th
Yds/Attempt -- 23rd
TDs - t18th
INTs - t8th
Yds/Game - 32nd
QB rating - 22nd

So, compared to other QBs, he doesn't pass much, he doesn't complete much, he doesn't throw them very far, but he's keeping the INT's low. I think it's fair to say he's Below Average at best and not too far off from Bad.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't expect to see him this season unless Wilson gets injured. Wilson's performance would be a lot better if we had receivers that could make a catch. Even if they remain at this level it's better to develop Wilson for the future than to change horses mid stream for an unproven Flynn, regardless of what they paid for him.

Dropped pass % by team through week 7:
Dropped passes per target through Week 7 - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Seattle is 9th BEST in the league.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,646,318 times
Anyone who saw Wilson at Wisconsin or NC State knew he was capable of this--that being said, I do think he still has adjustments to make to the NFL game. I dont know if one ever really compensates for being 5'11" at the NFL level, and I think Flynn will eventually get a chance. But let's not fool ourselves: Flynn isnt a sure thing either.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,457,108 times
I've watched nearly every game Wilson has played in since he was a freshman at NCSU and I can tell you this is EXACTLY what he does. Not the low numbers of attempts or completions, but managing the game and learning before trying to be the hero. That is what makes him such a good player IMO. He works to not lose the game until he's comfortable and then he excels once he's ready. Anyone that has ever watched him, especially early in his career, understands this is Russell being Russell. This is why he's been able to be successful despite his height limitations.

When you have a player that has "it" you give them time to get comfortable before asking too much from your offensive scheme. Pete knows exactly what he has with Russell and what it could mean to the franchise for a long time and I think he will give him time to get comfortable before asking him to shoulder the load.

The wheels could fall off tomorrow for Wilson and Flynn start the next game but I doubt that happens just because I've seen this same story before from Russell.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 AM

To answer the question: "Will Matt Flynn ever get a chance in Seattle?"
Yes, when Seattle drops three games in a row.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,203,007 times
Not even close to the truth

There is no "knee-jerk" in seattle

They lost the game yesterday, but Wilson played a pretty good game and showed some progress on the road (coming in Wilson was the highest rated home passer in the NFL and 3rd worst on the road - that whole rookie thing)

Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,558,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not even close to the truth

There is no "knee-jerk" in seattle

They lost the game yesterday, but Wilson played a pretty good game and showed some progress on the road (coming in Wilson was the highest rated home passer in the NFL and 3rd worst on the road - that whole rookie thing)

read post #13

Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,203,007 times
which has zero bearing ...... he's a rookie QB that the coaching staff loves - they expect bumps in the road

I can provide a bunch of more relevant stats

Such as Seattle performs best when he's actually throwing the ball. Their best offensive production is in the 1st - the initial scripted plays are more balanced and seattle has scored on 6 of it's 8 opening drives (and missed FGs on the other 2).

They then go into ultra-conservative mode in the 2nd & 3rd with a predictable run-run-pass setup. The playcalling is terrible in the 2nd & 3rd. It's very run heavy and when they throw it's not in a favorable set at all.

This leads to them frequently losing any lead and playing come back in the 4th. Now they have to pass the ball, again not the best situation to throw since the defense knows it's coming and can pin back their pass rush. However, this is the seahawks 2nd most productive period. Wilson has lead the team back to the lead numerous times this year, even did it yesterday although the defense couldn't hold it.

In the coaching staffs efforts to protect him, they are actually hurting him and the team. They'd do the same for Flynn though, it's just the philosophy with inexperienced QBs. Keep in mind at this point Wilson has 4x the # of starts than Flynn.

As long as Wilson continues to make progress and do what is asked of him the coaches are going to stay with him.

You'll hear many coaches & players talk about quaters to a season.

In Wilsons 1st quarter his stat line was as follows - 60 of 100 (60%) for 594 with 4 TDs and 4 Ints

In his 2nd quarter of the season the line is as follows - 69 of 110 (63%) for 872 with 6 TDs and 4 Ints

So there has definitely been progress - especially when you factor in that in the 2nd quadrant of games it featured 3 road contest including at the best defense in the league (SF) on a short week

His yearly stats will drag on the early games - but if you look for progressions you'll certainly see them

All this despite a WR group that has dropped a gang of passes this year - drops as measured are a horrible stat - did you know that in seattle's 1st game against AZ they didn't drop a pass? - not officially anyway - despite 2 drops in the endzone at the end of the game that would have won the game ....... the stat isn't an "official" nfl stat for this reason, it's just way too cloudy and too much of a judgement call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football