Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

Ok, guys, I admit to being female. But I do enjoy watching pro football. Not saying I know all the plays or even all the lingo of the broadcasters, but still....I do watch.

Tell me why a quarterback might have a great year, then the very next year, really struggle....say Eagles/Michael Vick, for instance. I don't get it. Training has to be the same...he has the experience. Is it coaching? New players on the team?

He is not the only one of course....Cowboys/Tony Romo etc. Or actually, any really good team player that makes excellent plays or catches, or blocks....then tanks.

What gives???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Good question, and I'll be interested to see the answers you get! I immediately think of Finley TE on the Packers. He has been missing in action for quite some time now.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM

240 posts, read 537,274 times
Vick is struggling partly because his offensive line is horrible, which is due to injuries.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Oh, I get that injuries are a huge part of team success (or not)....

but don't the Pats have guys out for injuries...while Brady still, and it seems always, is consistent in his game? Maybe there is something I am missing....

Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh, I get that injuries are a huge part of team success (or not)....

but don't the Pats have guys out for injuries...while Brady still, and it seems always, is consistent in his game? Maybe there is something I am missing....
I think you are looking for a simple answer when none exists. You can't just say both teams have injuries. Who is injured? For how long? What is the quality of the back-ups from both teams? What is the ability of both players to adapt to different planning?

And those types of questions go with any other reason someone will give. There are so many varianbles it is pretty much an impossible question. Now if you want to talk about one specific player that is a bit easier, although not necessarily "easy" to explain.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Injuries, player changes, style changes, playbook changes, and schema changes all play a big part, as do contracts. Most won't admit it, but you can bet your bottom dollar guys step up their game in contract years. I'm not implying they merely phone it in every other year, but if you want to maximize your next deal show the world what you've got right now.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Got it.

Guess that is part of looking forward to the season....

who is going to be great THIS year?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think you are looking for a simple answer when none exists. You can't just say both teams have injuries. Who is injured? For how long? What is the quality of the back-ups from both teams? What is the ability of both players to adapt to different planning?

And those types of questions go with any other reason someone will give. There are so many varianbles it is pretty much an impossible question. Now if you want to talk about one specific player that is a bit easier, although not necessarily "easy" to explain.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

Right on...

And to add to that, what coaches do as well. When coaches move around it affects players, even position coaches which we hardly ever hear about. A major thing we as fans hear about is if the type of offense or defense changes because of the coordinators. But players spend the majority of their time with the position coaches.

Another factor is football is a copy cat league... once a team shows how to beat someone, other teams do the samething when they play them regardless if that is their normal philosophy or not. If you noticed, Vick really has not been the same since the Packers beat him in the wild card game a few years ago on their way to a SB. That was the blueprint. Everyone has been playing him similar sense. Same for Romo... he hasnt been the same since the Cowboys lost at home in the divisional round to the Giants who went on to beat the Pats in the SB. Romo has not been the same sense then. The Cowboys had the best record in NFC that year. He was on his way to being a great QB, he had beaten the Giants twice already that year. But that game changed things. Philip Rivers is another one you can add to that list...

The other factor is just average shelf-life... the NFL has the shortest window than any other sport has for success. Sure some players seem immune to this, but those players are few and far between. Those are the absolute greats. But most players have a max of a 3-5 year window to play well in the NFL. The sport takes its toll on your body and mind and at some point the skills begin to erode.

For Vick, Rivers, and possibly Romo... that seems to be the case.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the explanations.... helps me understand a bit more.

For now, I will just enjoy watching Polamalu (when he gets back in), Brady, Clay Matthews, and a few others...until their time is up. Plus, with all the pressure of the NFL etc., it is cool to watch a rookie have a great game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Right on...

And to add to that, what coaches do as well. When coaches move around it affects players, even position coaches which we hardly ever hear about. A major thing we as fans hear about is if the type of offense or defense changes because of the coordinators. But players spend the majority of their time with the position coaches.

Another factor is football is a copy cat league... once a team shows how to beat someone, other teams do the samething when they play them regardless if that is their normal philosophy or not. If you noticed, Vick really has not been the same since the Packers beat him in the wild card game a few years ago on their way to a SB. That was the blueprint. Everyone has been playing him similar sense. Same for Romo... he hasnt been the same since the Cowboys lost at home in the divisional round to the Giants who went on to beat the Pats in the SB. Romo has not been the same sense then. The Cowboys had the best record in NFC that year. He was on his way to being a great QB, he had beaten the Giants twice already that year. But that game changed things. Philip Rivers is another one you can add to that list...

The other factor is just average shelf-life... the NFL has the shortest window than any other sport has for success. Sure some players seem immune to this, but those players are few and far between. Those are the absolute greats. But most players have a max of a 3-5 year window to play well in the NFL. The sport takes its toll on your body and mind and at some point the skills begin to erode.

For Vick, Rivers, and possibly Romo... that seems to be the case.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Yes, age. Sometimes it creeps up on you and sometimes you fall off the cliff. Don't ask how I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football