Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,979 times

Advertisements

If the Giants and Cowgirls both finish 8-8 ...does it come down to some sort of tie-breakers?

It's a shame somebody will probably get in from the NFC East at 8-8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
NFL Tie-Breaking Procedures

Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Sometimes teams are 10-6, don't get in and other teams win their division with a not so hot record. In 2010, the Seahawks were 7-9, won the division, got in the playoffs. Giants and Tampa Bay at 10-6 did not. Packers squeaked in that year at 10-6 because they beat the Giants during the season. Last year, Giants got in at 9-7 and Denver at 8-8, can happen.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I'm sure there are no procedures in place for such a situation.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
If the Giants and Cowgirls both finish 8-8 ...does it come down to some sort of tie-breakers?

It's a shame somebody will probably get in from the NFC East at 8-8.
The Giants rode a 9-7 record all the way to a superbowl win last year.

Regular season record doesn't necessarily predict how well a team is going to do post season. The Giants beat GB last year and Green Bay was what? 15-1???

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
I agree with HTown, it's all about which teams are playing their best in late November and rolling through December. Those teams with the hot hand late in the season but not a great record can really cause some damage. Look at what the Giants did to Green Bay last year.

a 9-7 Giants team went into Lambeau and smacked around a 15-1 Packers team.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 AM

All too true! Giants were like Packers the previous year! Packers barely got in the playoffs, had a huge IR list and went on to win the SB! Atlanta was 13-3 that year and out right away. I'm curious to see what happens to the Falcons this year, I have more faith in Houston than Atlanta.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
It should be the top 6 teams from each conference with the best record that advance to the playoffs. It was disgusting watching the 7-9 Seahawks win their division and get in while teams with three more wins were assed out.

On a similar note, I also think that having almost half of a teams schedule against division foes every year is also stupid. It severely hampers the room on the schedule for some seriously interesting matchups with many other teams. They should play their three division foes just once a year, and rotate the home/away locations yearly for those three games.

Last edited by ditchlights; 11-23-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Every season you hear talk about the playoff setup but nothing ever comes of it. How about changing the size of the divisions??? No, too much opposition that wouldn't fly. They should change it, but probably won't.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I agree with HTown, it's all about which teams are playing their best in late November and rolling through December. Those teams with the hot hand late in the season but not a great record can really cause some damage. Look at what the Giants did to Green Bay last year.

a 9-7 Giants team went into Lambeau and smacked around a 15-1 Packers team.
Totally agree. Some teams come in with a plan that works and start out strong but fizzles out after a while, while others have a hard time starting out but get their acts together later in the season.

The Saints started out 0-4 while Arizona started 4-0 but look at the role reversal now.
Just because a team has a weaker record because of a slow start does not mean that the team is as weak as their record suggest.

Conversely, a team may have got a jump on things early in the season and end with a nice record, but may not be as good as their record suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
All too true! Giants were like Packers the previous year! Packers barely got in the playoffs, had a huge IR list and went on to win the SB! Atlanta was 13-3 that year and out right away. I'm curious to see what happens to the Falcons this year, I have more faith in Houston than Atlanta.
Me too. The Falcons have not really played anybody. Yes they played the Broncos but barely won when Broncos was still trying to sort themselves out around their new QB. Apart from the Broncos ALL of the Falcons opponents have losing records. I wanna see them play Green Bay, New England, The Ravens, Chicago, SF.... not Carolina, KC, Oakland, etc By the end of the season it looks like Houston will have faced 8 teams with winning records including the Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Packers, all of whom should win their division. ATL on the other hand will have faced 3 teams with winning records and only two of which (Broncos and Maybe NY) will have won their division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football