Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times

Advertisements

Here is a thread to discuss the AFC playoffs. It is shaping up to be an exciting finish to the 2012 regular season. Right now the playoff picture looks like this:

Houston Texans: 11-2
New England Patriots: 10-3
Denver Broncos: 10-3
Baltimore Ravens: 9-4
Indianapolis Colts: 9-4
Cincinnati Bengals: 8-6*

Still in the Hunt:

Pittsburg Steelers: 7-6*
New York Jets: 6-7

*The Bengals played a Thursday Night Football game. If the Steelers win @ Dallas on Sunday, they will slide into the #6 spot at 8-6 with tie breakers favoring them over the Bengals.

Some key games this weekend include the Broncos @ Ravens, Colts @ Texans, and the 49ers @ Patriots. That last one pits the #1 scoring offense against the #1 scoring defense. I always like those kind of match ups.

Fun facts:

Houston appeared to be running away with the AFC South, but Indianapolis has stayed in it. With the Texans' loss at New England, the Colts can still win that division. The Colts and Texans play each other twice in the next three weeks.

All of the Broncos, Colts, Ravens, Patriots, and Texans have a shot at the #1 playoff seed. Mind blowing that this many teams can be in the hunt for home field advantage throughout the playoffs this late in the season, isn't it?

At the same time, the 6-7 Jets can still reach the playoffs while the 9-4 Ravens and/or Colts could very well be outside looking in by the time the regular season ends.

With 13 games played, there are still a lot of questions unanswered. It will be an exciting finish. I'll update the playoff picture once this weekend's action has concluded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
The most interesting storyline to me right now is the battle for the #1 seed. If NE beats SF, then they've got to easy wins afterwards against Jacksonville and Miami. Houston, meanwhile, has both of their games against Indy coming up, with a visit from the Vikings sandwiched in between. Further complicating things is that after their trip to Baltimore, the Broncos play Cleveland and KC, meaning that if Houston was demoralized by Monday night and enters a free fall, they could realistically lose their first round bye.

This will truly be Showdown Sunday in the NFL; after Monday's result, its clear that securing home field is of dire importance to the Texans, lest they face a trip to Foxboro in the AFC championship (plus I'm sure Belichick will set his weather machine for a snowstorm on game day).

Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 AM

If the Broncos win on Sunday they will improve to 11-3 and still be in the running for a first round bye. If the Broncos win, I see them going full throttle to a 13-3 finish.

If they lose they fall to 10-4, even with the Ravens but in the 4th seed due to the tie breaker. The Ravens play a tough remaining two games, but the Broncos have the Browns and Chiefs, both home games. If the Broncos go into that final week locked into their playoff seed, they may rest starters. Now the Chiefs are bad enough that it may not matter. So with a loss in Baltimore, I can see the Broncos record overall coming in at 11-5, unless their backups are better than the Chiefs starters, then they can still reach a mark of 12-4.

Either way, it is hard to complain as a Broncos fan. John Fox came in and took over a team that was literally coming off of its worst season in franchise history with a finish of 4-12. He got them to 8-8 and incredibly enough, to the second round of the playoffs. To be in the running for a 13-3 finish just two seasons removed from 4-12 is awesome. It is just one of many reasons why I love the NFL.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Good thread, took a lot of time to figure it all out and put it in writing.

I can't add much, except to say that of my six "lucky" hats, three are represented here (Denver, Baltimore and Pittsburgh). I'll be wearing my Denver hat as I watch them play Baltimore on Sunday; the wife will wear the Baltimore hat (my home town) to oppose me. Wives are like THAT.

Ray Lewis will be back playing tomorrow for Baltimore, he will be a challenge to deal with.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
This is the time of year it gets real interesting.
Six of the early games tommorrow have playoff implications.

Broncos are already in playoffs but can go 13-3!
Colts are in good position despite playing Houston twice.

Then Steelers/Cowgirls, two teams I hate.
First time I will be a Cowgirl fan, but only for a few hours.

Also hope Chicago does not make the playoffs, so I'm for the Redskins, Seahawks & Vikings.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Ray Lewis will be back playing tomorrow for Baltimore, he will be a challenge to deal with.

I don't think he is going to be back according to several reports. He is on IR designated for return but apparently not yet.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
After seeing the Bengals play on Thursday Night, there is no way they are going to the playoffs with this remaining schedule

Steelers
Ravens

Yes they are 8-6 right now but I bet they lose their last 2 and finish 8-8

Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

I don't think he is going to be back according to several reports. He is on IR designated for return but apparently not yet.
Yes, just heard it on the news that Baltimore didn't activate him by the 3PM deadline, so we won't have to worry about him tomorrow.

Also heard that Peyton has beat the Ravens a few times in charm city when playing for Indy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, just heard it on the news that Baltimore didn't activate him by the 3PM deadline, so we won't have to worry about him tomorrow.

Also heard that Peyton has beat the Ravens a few times in charm city when playing for Indy.

I think one of them was a playoff game which shocked me because i didn't think the Colts had a chance

Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think one of them was a playoff game which shocked me because i didn't think the Colts had a chance
That was the same year that the Colts and Pats played each other in the AFCCG and the Colts actually won. That game was a good show. That season the Colts defense just sort of clicked at the right moment. They were statistically not very good during the regular season and turned it one when they reached the post-season.

This year's Colts defense has been statistically bad, too but the team has somehow managed to reach a mark of 9-4 and as I said earlier they are in the running for a first round bye if they win today. I think that what is more likely is that they drop this game today, and win next week. If the Texans have locked up the #1 seed by that final week, I'll give the Colts a strong chance to reach 11-5, but if Houston needs a win to hold that #1 seed then the Colts will finish 10-6. Not bad considering they are led by a rookie who inherited a 2-14 outfit as well as having their HC sidelined due to health reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football