Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,679,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
That's what I don't get... In only one of the 3 losses were the Falcons actually favored... The 2010 team seeded #1 at 13-3.

In 2008 they were a 5th seed and lost on the road in Arizona... And same thing last year on the road in NY.

My defense to 2010 is simple... The Packers were hot. Don't care about the other years... They were road losses to higher seeded teams.

This 2012 team is the best of the Mike Smith era... You are right... No excuses as the #1 seed.

No idea what you are talking about... The Falcons regular season performance has never been in question under Mike Smith.
Road or home, you guys have been awful in the playoffs. If one or both of those games were close, I could see you defending them, but It wasn't even a game against either the Giants or the Packers, that's what made it more disappointing.

No one wants to hear any excuses from the past. Get it done or rightly so, the team will continued to get destroyed from the national media and football fans outside of Atlanta....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It doesn't matter who they play in the divisional round. 99.9% sure they will be favored to win and SHOULD win, however w/their recent playoff blunders, no one outside out of Atlanta thinks they are for real. That's why the pressure is on them.

Yeah you are right no matter who comes to Atlanta they will be favored but it will just be a matter of how much. If it's the skins I can see the falcons being a 4 pt favorite, the vikings a 9 point favorite and the seahawks maybe about a 5 point favorite.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,594,386 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter who they play in the divisional round. 99.9% sure they will be favored to win and SHOULD win, however w/their recent playoff blunders, no one outside out of Atlanta thinks they are for real. That's why the pressure is on them.
I'm looking forward to the Atlanta victory next week. It should happen no matter who they play.

I can't help but wonder what happens if the Packers lose today... Will we get to hear for the next 4 years about how they aren't for real after losing at home 2 straight years to inferior opponents?

Or will it still be all about their 6th seeded Super Bowl run from 2010?

Quote:
Road or home, you guys have been awful in the playoffs. If one or both of those games were close, I could see you defending them, but It wasn't even a game against either the Giants or the Packers, that's what made it more disappointing.

No one wants to hear any excuses from the past. Get it done or rightly so, the team will continued to get destroyed from the national media and football fans outside of Atlanta....
The 2008 loss to AZ was 6 points.

It's forgotten in all the chatter about the blowout losses in 2010 and 2011 to 6th and 4th seeded teams on hot streaks.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the Atlanta victory next week. It should happen no matter who they play.

I can't help but wonder what happens if the Packers lose today... Will we get to hear for the next 4 years about how they aren't for real after losing at home 2 straight years to inferior opponents?

Or will it still be all about their 6th seeded Super Bowl run from 2010?

The 2008 loss to AZ was 6 points.

It's forgotten in all the chatter about the blowout losses in 2010 and 2011 to 6th and 4th seeded teams on hot streaks.
It doesn't matter what the packers do. They have a superbowl ring.

If the Falcons goto the superbowl, all the past will be forgotten.

Do I think its 100% fair? Not really, but its reality. Sorry they made it so hard on themselves but it is what it is...

Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the packers do. They have a superbowl ring.

If the Falcons goto the superbowl, all the past will be forgotten.

Do I think its 100% fair? Not really, but its reality. Sorry they made it so hard on themselves but it is what it is...
Yeah I don't remember Peyton Manning taking this much heat after losing the first 3 playoff games of his career... And how many rings did he get all those years? Same number as Favre right?

Funny how comparisons are made... I guess one ring is all it takes to make up for multiple collapses.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I guess one ring is all it takes to make up for multiple collapses.
When you are expected to win and the #1 seed and you get blown out, or you don't even play well in a game that is supposed to be close you deserve to take heat.

Its very simple, do it when it counts and the talk will stop.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
When you are expected to win and the #1 seed and you get blown out, or you don't even play well in a game that is supposed to be close you deserve to take heat.

Its very simple, do it when it counts and the talk will stop.
I agree... But ALL we hear about are the Falcons. They aren't the only #1 seed to lose a divisional game... In fact the 2009 Saints are the only #1 seed in recent memory to even advance to the Super Bowl.

Were they all overrated? Did they all choke? Or can anything happen in the playoffs?

I'll defend the Falcons to the end. They aren't the only team to fall flat in the playoffs but they get all the heat from it.

I'd love to talk about the Cowboys but I can't... Because they fall flat before they qualify for the playoffs.

I'm calling the Falcons making the Super Bowl right now... And if I'm wrong I'll be back to eat my crow.

You can quote me.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
FBJ

Wow just heard the news that Christian Ponder is not playing tonight because of a shoulder injury. Joe Webb will be the starting QB for the Vikings.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM

14,312 posts, read 14,570,852 times
This is big news, Packers prepared for Ponder, Webb can run, and the Packers.com live feed I have going their writers are concerned. They were watching him and said his throws were not good so they weren't shocked but know the team did not prepare that way.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
This is big news, Packers prepared for Ponder, Webb can run, and the Packers.com live feed I have going their writers are concerned. They were watching him and said his throws were not good so they weren't shocked but know the team did not prepare that way.

Yeah Webb is very elusive and I was very impressed with him when he played against the eagles a few years ago in Philly. And like you said Ponder was not much of a scrambler and now the Packers defense have to adjust their defensive game plan at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football