Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,830,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Ain't U of Alabama close enough?
Rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

I mentioned 4 states for the Cowboys. I don't see how that even remotely just means "city" or metro area...
Again, I said it's however you want to define the region that is around the most important cultural center in that region. Code Lyoko sums it up nicely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Yes, some cities due to the nature of their location have massive spheres of influence by both land mass and population.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:36 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,680,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I have been reading off and on about NFL expansion for a few years now
How about this; what would you rename the following teams to, given their new name has something to do with the area that they play in:

* Washington Redskins
* Detroit Lions
* Cleveland Browns
* San Diego Chargers
* Buffalo Bills
* Chicago Bears
* Kansas City Chiefs
* St. Louis Rams

Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,762,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Agreed!

Besides, the talent pool is diluted enough as it is.
Diluted? Compared to when?

The United States population is the feeder system for the NFL, probably accounting for over 98% of its players - the remainder are mostly Canadian, and the occasional kicker/punter from somewhere. As of the current Census Bureau estimate, the United States has a population of 319 million. Given 32 NFL franchises, that's 10.0 million persons/franchise. Compare this to 1970, the year the AFL-NFL merger was completed, when the population of the U.S. was 179 million and there were 26 NFL franchises - resulting in a substantially lower population/franchise ratio of 6.8 million. How about 1950? The U.S. has 132 million people and 13 franchises - 10.2 million people per team. Note that since the male/female ration is essentially constant over time, it is not necessary to adjust for gender. The increasing population, resulting producing ever-larger numbers individuals with NFL potential, has kept pace with the increase in the number of NFL franchises.

Add in the advanced scouting capabilities of today due to financial and technological resources, as well as far better techniques in developing physical skills and techniques, and the notion that the talent pool is diluted compared to any time in NFL history is baseless. If anything, the talent pool relative to the number of franchises is increasing.

On a side note, here's an interesting analytical look at potential foreign expansion markets.
The NFL Should Expand To London. But First: Canada, Mexico And LA. | FiveThirtyEight

Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,058,633 times
How about a farm league, much like the MLB has. Each division has a team that it can draw from in an as needed basis. There would be 8 teams in the farm league. Some form of equitable arrangement can be created so that when one of the teams in the division draws from its farm team they have to pay the other three teams in their division. Make it hurt enough to pay the other three teams so that they only do it when absolutely necessary.

This would serve to improve the NFL talent while also providing a pro football team in areas where there is none currently.

One of the teams could even be in England.

Payment could be made to the other teams when you drop a player from the NFL team back to the farm team as well, since they would probably be sending them down for development purposes, and then want him back afterward.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:06 PM

3,670 posts, read 2,503,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
There already is a team named the Patriots..
(Laughter).. true.
But if the hypothetical Virginia Patriots landed in the NFC, and both they and New England won their respective conferences.. we could get an all-Patriots Super Bowl.

I nominate the old New England jerseys & helmets for the new Virginia franchise. I liked Patriot Pat more than their current stylized Patriot.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:14 PM

908 posts, read 1,412,766 times
I don't think that a foreign team would work in the NFL. In the MLB, NHL and NBA, pretty much everyone has clean enough criminal records to be able to get the appropriate visa to play in Toronto (and Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Ottawa in the NHL's case). Lots of people criticized the Rays when they acquired two players who couldn't play in Toronto because of their rap sheet when they usually play there 8 or 9 games every year. While the NFL's personal conduct is better than it had been a few years ago, it would still be a problem for lots of players to play in an international league.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,472,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Diluted? Compared to when?
Have you seen QB play as of late? On that note, when a QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick can throw six TDs in one game, there's your sign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
While the NFL's personal conduct is better than it had been a few years ago, it would still be a problem for lots of players to play in an international league.
Not really. Who is the last player to get in trouble?

To help you, doobies aren't going to be an issue in most of Europe and maybe not even in Canada. DUI laws are usually stricter, though.

DUI Laws In Other Countries - drink-drive-lose.com

Police Blotter | ProFootballTalk

Most of that is petty stuff and only a handful of players in trouble since the actual start of the season. I bet I can go outside around my apartment complex and find more folks than that with worse stuff on their rap sheets. Not that I would invite any of those folks to any of my family gatherings, but keep perspective. Some of those guys become ex-players on the spot while others (see: Derrick Shelby) get tuned up for being up to no good and learn a lesson, I bet.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:56 PM

7,581 posts, read 6,046,380 times
More talk on Yahoo today about a team relocating to the Los Angeles area, the Raiders Chargers and Rams being the most likely according to the article
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...153628380.html

I wish the Rams would go back, because "St Louis Rams" just does not sound right.
But, if they do, I will have to take down my OLD SCHOOL L A RAMS items from the sports room, as I only use former teams. Not including the Miami Dolphins Christmas tree.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,620,312 times
I liked this thread for the potential team names... Some of them were really funny.

What about the Fergusen Looters..? Too soon? At least you could get some five-finger discounts at the concession stands...
The Tacoma Tokers? For the flyover, they would drop baggies from the planes over the stadium. It would definitely be a retractable roof which would close after the first quarter light up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football