Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Sorry to rant but injuries for all teams seem greater than other years and unless it is a QB, #1 WR, it should be next man up and play ball. It still may catch up to the Packers with Finley being out, but they give it their best shot. Nelson was bottled up almost all day, the rookies made the plays. If they can hang in, get some wins, get vets back, look out, they make a run like 2010!
In the case of the Falcons... it's the #1 AND # 2 WR (who could be a #1 on any team in the league), #1 RB, #1 FB, #1 DE and #1 LB.

That's a lot of holes to fill... and it's unrealistic to expect a bunch of rookies and/or 3rd string players to make up the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Carolina @ Tampa Bay
Dallas @ Detroit
Cleveland @ Kansas City
Miami @ New England
Buffalo @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
San Francisco @ Jacksonville
NY Jets @ Cincinnati
Pittsburgh @ Oakland (My upset of the week)
Washington @ Denver
Atlanta @ Arizona
Green Bay @ Minnesota
Seattle @ St. Louis

10-5 for week seven

69-37 season
Correction: I miss one game that was brought to my attention on the third week and I should be 70-37 for the year.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
From the home office that brought a few and many record last week, (the same one that got canned from the suicide pool thanks to the Dolphins) Here are this week's picks

Carolina @ Tampa Bay There is a reason why we call them the "Succaneers" around here
Dallas @ Detroit Gotta lose your mind to Detroit , Rock City. Or if you are Romo, you are due to screw up have one of your bad games and get blamed for the loss.
Cleveland @ Kansas City Remember when the only claim to fame was in the snickers commercial?

Snickers Chefs - YouTube

Miami @ New England I just spent $97.48 on Miami Dolphins Christmas decorations ! I am a chump!
Buffalo @ New Orleans I can't hate the Buffaloes any more than I already do, but when they limp in to New Orleans, they may get carried out.
NY Giants @ Philadelphia The Giants won thier first of three games on MNF at home, so look for them to lose on the road.
San Francisco @ Jacksonville It has become an old tired joke...Why are the Jacksonville Jaguars like a possum?
Because they play dead at home and get killed on the road.

NY Jets @ Cincinnati Don't be making Playoff plans for the Jets just yet, just because they beat a few bad teams and one that needed it. Benglas are tough at home. Not like the Jaguars
Pittsburgh @ Oakland Well, a classic rivalry at least, maybe they can just replay the 1975 game, it would be more interesting?
Washington @ Denver ♣ SUPER BOWL REMATCH♣ Look for the Donkeys to avenge their loss to the DC Native Americans with rouge pigmentation and get back in the winning column
Atlanta @ Arizona When Birds Attack #3 Well, The Pesky Red Birds at home will make a nest of the visiting Falcons
Green Bay @ Minnesota What do you call a Minnesota Viking with a Super Bowl Ring? A THIEF !!!
Seattle @ St. Louis Well, Sam Bradford is done for the season, so are the Rams with what's his name ? starting at QB....

DISCLAIMER: REMEMBER: DO NOT BET YOUR MONEY BASED ON MY PICKS IF YOU LOSE YOUR SHIRT, DO NOT BLAME ME. MY BEST ADVICE IS TO BE CAREFUL BETTING, YOU DO NOT WANT TO END UP LIKE THIS

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-25-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll update with my weekly totals later. I think I finished 10-5 last week and are 40-23 for the season, but I'll double check that.

Week 8:
Carolina @ Tampa Bay. Panthers are playing really well. Bucs are still terrible and without Martin. I'll say Panthers big
Dallas @ Detroit. I literally have no idea. The NFL's 2 most inconsistent teams. Dallas could win by 50, lose by 50, win by 1 on a safety the last play of the game when Stafford loses the ball in the end zone, or anywhere in between and I wouldn't be surprised. I'm taking Detroit just because Dallas rarely has 2 good weeks in a row yet alone 3, so their probably due for a bad game.
Cleveland @ Kansas City. Not happening with Weeden under center.
Miami @ New England. This Pats team just isn't that good, but they'll beat the Dolphins in Foxborough.
Buffalo @ New Orleans. The Bills might keep it close for a while, but the Saints have more talent
NY Giants @ Philadelphia. Another game I have no clue with. With the Giants picking up their first win, maybe they can gain some steam moving forward.
San Francisco @ Jacksonville. The Jags are the only team in the NFL that have not scored a touchdown at home this year. That continues.
NY Jets @ Cincinnati. It's weird saying this sentence, "The Bengals are the best team in the AFC North." The Jets have been playing a lot better than expected and playing the good teams well, but have to like Cincinnati here.
Pittsburgh @ Oakland. Much like the Giants, they seem to be picking up steam.
Washington @ Denver. I think Washington may be the team to watch in the NFC East, but no way they win in Denver against a Broncos team coming off their first loss.
Atlanta @ Arizona. Atlanta is a big dissapointment. If that horrible Cards o-line can keep Palmer on his feet and give him time to throw and find his receivers, I definitely like the Cards here.
Green Bay @ Minnesota. Even with all the injuries to Green Bay's offense, the Vikings are bad
Seattle @ St. Louis. No Sam Bradford, and possibly Chris Long too after he threw the punch in the Panthers game last week. Blowout city for Seattle.

Just as I thought:
Season record 40-23
Last week record 10-5.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
My season of mediocrity continues. I went 8-7 last week, 61-46 total. Behold my mediocre picks for this week:

Panthers @ Buccaneers: Panthers. The Panthers have very quietly played some of the best defense in the league this year. They are one of the better teams nobody is talking about.

Cowboys @ Lions: Lions. Flip a coin on this one. Both teams show us flashes of brilliance interspersed with epic meltdowns. Lions lost last week and the Cowboys have won 2 in a row, so they're due for one of those meltdowns.

Browns @ Chiefs: Chiefs. I read that Jeff Garcia called the Browns and offered his services. He is 43 years old. The sad thing: the Browns do not appear to have accepted his offer.

Dolphins @ Patriots: Patriots. Tuck rules, push rules...why is it always the Patriots who find themselves involved with these weird rules?

Bills @ Saints: Saints. An extra week to stew over that last second loss to the Patriots means this game is going to be a Saints beating of the Bills of cathartic proportions.

Giants @ Eagles: Eagles. The Giants are 0-4 as the visitors. The Eagles are 0-3 as the home team. Something's gotta give.

49ers @ Jaguars: 49ers. I'll be shocked if the Jags even cross the 50 yard line in this one.

Jets @ Bengals: Bengals. Flying high after their upset over the Pats, the Jets are grounded against a Bengals team that is rolling on a 3 game win streak coming in.

Steelers @ Raiders: Raiders. This matchup favors the Raiders slightly. Playing in Oakland favors the Raiders slightly. But the Raiders biggest advantage is they play with a level of fight not seen in this franchise since getting railed by the Bucs in the Super Bowl.

Redskins @ Broncos: Broncos. Fresh off their first loss of the season the Broncos will welcome their old coach back to Denver with a pre-game ceremony. As far as I know, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has not taken any cheap shots on his former coach. But it's only Wednesday so there's still time.

Falcons @ Cardinals: Cardinals. The Cardinals will win this one in honor of their namesake in MLB reaching the World Series. Seriously. I'm sure that's what is on everyone's mind in that locker room.

Packers @ Vikings: Packers. The Packers bring their mash ward of a team into Minneapolis where Jodh Freeman probably couldn't do much worse than his debut with the Vikings. I am going to make a bold prediction here: the Vikings first play of the game will be a run by AP. If they're smart, that will be the only play they run!

Seahawks @ Rams: Seahawks. The Rams just signed Brady Quinn. The Seahawks are trembling.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
it's the #1 AND # 2 WR - as I said, Cobb is #1 usually, add in Jones & Finley, 3 out 4 gone, Packers situation is critical. Jones led the NFL last year in TDs. I get what you are saying, but many teams are in the same boat.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
it's the #1 AND # 2 WR - as I said, Cobb is #1 usually, add in Jones & Finley, 3 out 4 gone, Packers situation is critical. Jones led the NFL last year in TDs. I get what you are saying, but many teams are in the same boat.
I don't think there is a team in the NFL that has lost both runners in the backfield, one of which has been a 1,000 yard rusher pretty much every season of his career and not one but two Pro Bowl wide receivers.

That's 4 playmakers on offense in addition to the offensive line injuries and the injuries on defense. The Falcons are probably the team hardest hit by injuries this year. I'll give Ryan credit for the 300 yard game on Sunday... but still, it was against the Bucs. He had Harry Douglas, Darius Johnson and Drew Davis out wide, with Jacquizz Rodgers in the backfield... Who?

In the end I don't really care. This season is a wash... everyone knows it. I gotta ask though... why do people keep saying "The Falcons aren't the Falcons of last year... they are a dissapointment."

Should anyone be surprised? Really?

Look what they said over at NFL.com...

Matt Ryan played one of the best games of his career Sunday. He had Harry Douglas, Darius Johnson and Drew Davis out wide, with Jacquizz Rodgers not exactly cutting the figure of Jim Brown -- or Gerald Riggs, for that matter -- in the backfield. And yet, though the Atlanta Falcons had guys at the skill positions who couldn't beat ITT Tech, Ryan torched the Bucs' defense, completing 20 of 26 pass attempts for three scores and a whopping 148.4 passer rating. Give the man his props.

LOL

Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Ok, saying Pro Bowl doesn't mean much it is a popularity contest. I'm pointing out Packers are missing as many critical players on offense but they expect rookies to step up because that is why they were drafted. Jordy and James both hold NFL records (over all teams) but may not have gone to the Pro Bowl (not important)!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Ok, saying Pro Bowl doesn't mean much it is a popularity contest.

I'm pointing out Packers are missing as many critical players on offense but they expect rookies to step up because that is why they were drafted.
Ok... The Pro Bowl WR Julio Jones who was also leading the NFL in receiving yards when he went out. You think I called them "Pro Bowl" players just because they've played a meaningless touch football game in Hawaii? Really? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the thousands of yards and 20+ touchdowns that are no longer on the field for Atlanta?

So the Packers expect rookies to step up? You think the Falcons don't? You can want in one hand and *#&# in the other all day... still have to get it done on the field.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... football picks.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
The Browns will start Jason Campbell against the Chiefs this week. I thought I should let you all know just in case anyone had Weeden going this week on his or her fantasy team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football