Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

^^Ok, I guess that was an interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Irish are catholic scum. As a Judea-Protestant nation we can put the catholic scum down with impunity. You will never hear about any catholic being victimized. As soon as they are feeling victimized we can just switch up the conversation and consider them privileged whites which would end the discussion.
that would never fit on their helmets

Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Default Major Development

Some real NEWS this morning...

The U.S. Patent and Trademark office has CANCELLED the teams trademarked "Redskins" merchandise as disparaging after a suit was filed by five Native Americans.

The article says the team doesn't have to change the team name but will limit the money the NFL and team can make from sales of team items such as T shirts, sweatshirts, beer glasses, license plate holders, etc.

Similar suits were filed before and failed so we'll have to wait and see if this decision is appealed, the results coming out of any appeal, or if the team just folds on the issue and renames the team.

I like the idea of calling the team the Washington Warriors as it honors all men and women who've been brave enough to defend that which they cherish, even lost causes like the Confederacy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-18-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Some real NEWS this morning...

The U.S. Patent and Trademark office has CANCELLED the teams trademarked "Redskins" merchandise as disparaging after a suit was filed by five Native Americans.

The article says the team doesn't have to change the team name but will limit the money the NFL and team can make from sales of team items such as T shirts, sweatshirts, beer glasses, license plate holders, etc.

Similar suits were filed before and failed so we'll have to wait and see if this decision is appealed, the results coming out of any appeal, or if the team just folds on the issue and renames the team.

I like the idea of calling the team the Washington Warriors as it honors all men and women who've been brave enough to defend that which they cherish, even lost causes like the Confederacy.
I think it's ridiculous. The whole idea of making a team with a history change it's name. What about the Atlanta Braves or the Cleveland Indians?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
This has been done before, and was overturned. I don't doubt the NFL and the franchise seek to overturn this decision. I've already had a spirited debate with a fellow Redskins fan in another thread concerning the name, so no need to rehash that in all of the many name change threads. I'll just wait and see what the team officials say in their statement.

BTW, there was a trademark registration by the team (that has since expired) for the name "Warriors". I haven't checked to see if that has been updated or not, but I don't doubt that Snyder doesn't have this name in his back pocket just in case the pressure to change the name is much greater than anticipated.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
As far as this thread goes, I'd rename them the "Natives" or "Warriors". Something like that.

Honestly, I don't think it's up for NON-Native Americans to decid if Redskins is offensive or not. Seems pretty arrogant to think that the name shouldn't be changed just because YOU PERSONALLY don't find it offensive.

What if they were called the Washington N*****s for over 75 year? Would you want to keep that?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
This has been done before, and was overturned. I don't doubt the NFL and the franchise seek to overturn this decision. I've already had a spirited debate with a fellow Redskins fan in another thread concerning the name, so no need to rehash that in all of the many name change threads. I'll just wait and see what the team officials say in their statement.

BTW, there was a trademark registration by the team (that has since expired) for the name "Warriors". I haven't checked to see if that has been updated or not, but I don't doubt that Snyder doesn't have this name in his back pocket just in case the pressure to change the name is much greater than anticipated.

"Spirited" is an understatement. I hope we are cool after all that by the way

As for the ruling it's my understanding that it was overruled the last time on a technicality. I don't have proof of this, just a comment I read. What I do know is the climate on the subject is much different than it was in 1999. A lawyer on a local radio show said this is probably the beginning of the end on the name. Hope he is right but as always we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. Snyder won't give in easily, that should be obvious.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
"Spirited" is an understatement. I hope we are cool after all that by the way

As for the ruling it's my understanding that it was overruled the last time on a technicality. I don't have proof of this, just a comment I read. What I do know is the climate on the subject is much different than it was in 1999. A lawyer on a local radio show said this is probably the beginning of the end on the name. Hope he is right but as always we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. Snyder won't give in easily, that should be obvious.
Yes, Dave, we're cool! It's all good!

By the way, this article from Forbes might shed some light on the subject: Loss Of Redskins Trademark Registration Is Overblown - Forbes
As always, this thing is overblown.

And the response from Redskins lawyers: Redskins respond to trademark cancellation

Very same thing that happened in 1999, and was overturned in Federal court in 2003. (I think the second article said 2009, but that's actually incorrect.)

The chances of it getting overturned is pretty likely.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
So I guess the U.S. Patent and Trademark office didn't have a problem with the "Redskins" name after all these years. Now all of a sudden they want to act like they care so much. It wouldn't surprise me if the politicians in Washington paid them off to get this move done.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So I guess the U.S. Patent and Trademark office didn't have a problem with the "Redskins" name after all these years. Now all of a sudden they want to act like they care so much. It wouldn't surprise me if the politicians in Washington paid them off to get this move done.
This happened in 1992 when that small group of Native Americans filed a lawsuit to have the trademark canceled. In 1999, the trademark did get canceled citing that a name that disparages against a group cannot be trademarked. However, that ruling was reversed in 2003 by the federal court citing that there was not sufficient evidence against the name and that they had waited too long to file suit against the trademark. The name was trademarked in 1967 I believe, so they waited some 30 years before deciding to sue. So, all of this is a repeat of what happened back in the 90's, with the same amount of "evidence". Basically, it's the exact same situation. If you read the articles I linked to above, you'll have a clearer picture of what all of this means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football