Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I do, just because I got nothing else to do
but there's a serious problem in American culture with making everything "for profit"
"Thanksgiving" is not about thanking God, it's about watching 2-3 football games in a row
Christmas is not about Jesus, is about shopping
etc, etc, etc.

And believe me.... if you stand up for you religious values, people think you are freak and anti-American.
That is exactly what I am getting at. To me it's about stopping for a minute & actually socializing with the people who matter, and NOT in a Facebook sort of way, and not with a loud TV show going on in the background. And perhaps most of all, by demanding a game of ANY sport you cause the people associated with it to have to work on that day, and not just the players, but also the announcers, the concession stand workers, the camera guys, etc. You MAKE them be there instead of with their family, effectively, and no I don't think the whole "they knew what they were getting into when they signed up for the job" makes it a moot point.

It causes the day to become too commercial & to lose its genuine meaning. Thanksgiving is about giving THANKS & being with family, not about watching a game of whatever sport, and Christmas is about Jesus' birthday & being with family, not beating each other up on Black Friday over a good price on LCD TVs and driving yourself crazy with all the shopping for that perfect gift.

That's not to say that you HAVE to spend EVERY MINUTE on a given day doing nothing but listening to Uncle Jed tell the same story over & over about the time his dog and his tractor winning 1st prize in a contest or whatever, or refraining from ALL the activities you like to do. Heck, many times, I've complained about how holidays make everything stop & I would just rather be able to have a normal day on those days, but then that has to do with there being so many so close together. Regardless, if you are going to get together under a Thanksgiving pretense, then by George make it a Thanksgiving thing, not have it look like any other day.

I know someone said "location, location," regarding the forum I posted in, but again, I am a basketball person but totally understand the sentiment I was mentioning--"I feel sorry for you if you've got nothing better to do on Christmas Day than watch a basketball game," said by an NBA head coach of all people. You KNOW he eats & breathes basketball. I'm a basketball fan, but I still get the point and in fact agree with it.

I'm sorry, but also the main thing isn't that people like to watch such so much, but more that they feel like they HAVE to and it's the main thing on their mind, and the tradition aside, it is NOT what Thanksgiving is about. In like manner, I appreciate the 3-day weekend Memorial Day gives you, but that isn't what Memorial Day is about either. Then again, no one is suggesting that it's blasphemy to go to the lake on the Memorial Day weekend vs staying home & acting somber etc, so long as you do remember what the day is about, so maybe I'm being legalistic?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Some people can actually socialize and have the game on. It must be a turkey day miracle.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
How does it cause Thanksgiving to lose it's meaning? If people are thankful and enjoy watching a game together, how is that somehow "less than" other activities people enjoy together?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Location, location, location....

... this area is probably not the best place to complain about football & Thanksgiving...
Yes.

ADD>>>The college and pro football sub forums involve talk on rivalries between clubs, its general history, upcoming games, past games, specific players, controversial issues regarding past games, etc., etc., etc.

I'm not saying that this isn't a worthy thread, not at all. In fact, there's some valid points here. However, a subject like this belongs in either the Great Debates or P/OC forum because you are talking about what families should be doing on holidays. And when you throw in the observations regarding religion, well, I've had to close too many threads when religion has been brought in to the conversation. Sorry.

Thread to remain closed.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-03-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football