Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What American city would be best suited to take on a new NFL team?
Birmingham 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.75%
Salt Lake City 4 7.02%
Portland 7 12.28%
Louisville 2 3.51%
Oklahoma City 4 7.02%
Tulsa 1 1.75%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Los Angeles 28 49.12%
Raleigh 2 3.51%
Orlando 0 0%
Milwaukee 1 1.75%
Columbus 1 1.75%
Des Moines 1 1.75%
Other, please specify 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:46 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

If the NFL were to expand again and add a few more teams, what American cities do you think would be best suited to take in and handle an NFL team?

Obviously an NFL team has to be placed in a large city with a decent regional draw. Every single NFL team with the exception of Green Bay is in a city with a metro of over 1 million people, so it would have to be a fairly large city. I've prepared a list of the best candidates for what city might be able to hold an NFL team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If the NFL were to expand again and add a few more teams, what American cities do you think would be best suited to take in and handle an NFL team?

Obviously an NFL team has to be placed in a large city with a decent regional draw. Every single NFL team with the exception of Green Bay is in a city with a metro of over 1 million people, so it would have to be a fairly large city. I've prepared a list of the best candidates for what city might be able to hold an NFL team.
Los Angeles would seem to be a good choice, but the experience of the Rams and more recently the Raiders gives one pause. I don't know what the factor is in LA that prevents it from having an NFL team that stays there.

Las Vegas, Portland, San Antonio and Memphis have large enough metros now to support a team. Albuquerque and Louisville, KY may be large enough in 5-10 years. I am sure there may be a few other candidates. This is a good list, though. Three of these cities currently have NBA teams (Portland, San Antonio, Memphis), so they would be the safer bets.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Los Angeles would seem to be a good choice, but the experience of the Rams and more recently the Raiders gives one pause. I don't know what the factor is in LA that prevents it from having an NFL team that stays there.

Las Vegas, Portland, San Antonio and Memphis have large enough metros now to support a team. Albuquerque and Louisville, KY may be large enough in 5-10 years. I am sure there may be a few other candidates. This is a good list, though. Three of these cities currently have NBA teams (Portland, San Antonio, Memphis), so they would be the safer bets.
I'm not sure why LA can't hold a team either. Perhaps it's the serious traffic factor, LA probably has the worst traffic of any of the cities to have an NFL team. I can't think of any other factor though besides possibly poor management or market outreach.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:03 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
I picked Portland because they have supported the NBA Trailblazers for a long time and do not have a dominant college football program in the metro (Oregon and Oregon State are in Eugene and Corvallis). Portland State had its glory years under coach Mouse Davis/QB Lomax, but it is mainly a basketball school now. I am sure Portlanders would be more excited about an NFL team and help with that Seattle rivalry, too!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Columbus already has a professional team.. How can they support 2?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Columbus already has a professional team.. How can they support 2?
Columbus Ohio does not have an NFL team.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 PM

688 posts, read 897,477 times
It would be silly to put another NFL team in Ohio. I'd go with Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland or either San Antonio/Austin.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
It would be silly to put another NFL team in Ohio. I'd go with Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland or either San Antonio/Austin.
I see what you're saying, but several other states have 3 teams. Florida, California, and New York.

Ohio has enough people and enough big cities to support it, however I think the distance between Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland is too little to support 3 teams, so in my opinion Columbus wouldn't be the best choice.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM

811 posts, read 810,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Columbus Ohio does not have an NFL team.
no but they already have a team with a payroll
LA makes the most sense
please no more expansion team 32 is perfect for scheduling

Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
My vote is LA, obviously, cause I live here and want a team so so badly. Any team, I don't care. I used to love the Raiders when they were here. The Rams would be the best fit (as opposed to the Raiders or Chargers) because nobody really dislikes them here in LA, whereas a lot of people dislike the Raiders (Charger fans) and a lot dislike the Chargers (Raider fans), so things are kind of split here. The Rams are neutral enough for most people to adopt, and we'd be able to get back to a Bay Area vs LA rivalry with the 49ers.

But an expansion team would be ok too.

I give this standard response whenever people say "Well LA had 2 teams and couldn't make it work, so they don't deserve another": Without a doubt the NFL was in a different place in the mid-90's compared to where it is today (as the juggernaut of sports), so it's unfair to use that against us. There's no way the NFL wouldn't thrive in LA given the current climate of the sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football