Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,615,637 times

Advertisements

Interesting article on the sellout!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-games-on-tv/

Green Bay is a complicated situation but the community isn't on a major hook like some municipalities are with perpetual added sales tax every person has to pay.

Yes, you can talk about the worthless stock but if some people want to put up that money, and others don't so what! In my view, better to raise it that way then with big sales taxes that everybody has to pay on everything for a stadium. My friends in Arlington, TX are paying a healthy sales tax on everything for Jerry's World and boy do they hate the Cowboys.

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-03-2014 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

Bengals announce sell-out, keeping all Wild Card games on TV | ProFootballTalk

Green Bay is a complicated situation but the community isn't on a major hook like some municipalities are with perpetual added sales tax every person has to pay.

Yes, you can talk about the worthless stock but if some people want to put up that money, and others don't so what! In my view, better to raise it that way then with big sales taxes that everybody has to pay on everything for a stadium. My friends in Arlington, TX are paying a healthy sales tax on everything for Jerry's World and boy do they hate the Cowboys.
Interesting article.

I see on Accuweather that the HIGH temp on Sunday in Green Bay will be MINUS 2F and as the 2:40PM kickoff extends into the dark of evening that temp will go down to -5F with a "real feel" of -30F. Brutal weather indeed. No wonder some tix may not be selling; I wouldn't buy a ticket to sit out in those conditions; I'd drive to Chicago to watch it in a warm bar or hotel, has a warm restroom nearby, plus way better and cheaper beer and food, not to mention free parking. I wonder how Lambeau Field keeps the pipes from freezing in the restrooms?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,615,637 times
They showed on the news all the added insulation, plug in heat tapes, things that were being done to prevent water issues, pipes breaking, etc.!

Of course, I don't remember much being said about sanitary facilities but more heaven forbid should the beer lines freeze!!! Some of the vendor areas are more exposed to the wind then others.

It is going to be brutal, too bad the game isn't tomorrow, where the high will be in the low 20's. Major conversation going on about a team having to come here to play a 8-7-1 team when their record was "so much better"! Hello, win your division. This isn't the 1st year a team makes the playoffs with low wins. How soon we forget the 7-9 Seahawks and basically with Aaron in, Packers record would have been better.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I see on Accuweather that the HIGH temp on Sunday in Green Bay will be MINUS 2F and as the 2:40PM kickoff extends into the dark of evening that temp will go down to -5F with a "real feel" of -30F.
That temperature is crazy & the forecast keeps dropping! That's colder than the Ice Bowl. I can't recall the temp being that cold in Wisconsin before. The coldest it's EVER been recorded in Milwaukee is -26 & the forecast is for -21 on Sunday night.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...:53211.1.99999

It's probably way too late to switch the game to Saturday. I wonder if the NFL will consider moving the game time.? Many schools are already closed on Monday because of the cold.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:24 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
That temperature is crazy & the forecast keeps dropping! That's colder than the Ice Bowl. I can't recall the temp being that cold in Wisconsin before. The coldest it's EVER been recorded in Milwaukee is -26 & the forecast is for -21 on Sunday night.
Milwaukee, WI Weather Forecast from Weather Underground

It's probably way too late to switch the game to Saturday. I wonder if the NFL will consider moving the game time.? Many schools are already closed on Monday because of the cold.
The NFL will not sacrifice ratings over the safety of fans...what are you thinking? Lol...

I'd be SHOCKED if that ever happened..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

Bengals announce sell-out, keeping all Wild Card games on TV | ProFootballTalk

Susan, I get your point....I only meant they were suckers if they didn't realize what the piece of paper was paying for!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,373 times
Before the great recession, a number of Charger games only "sold out" after the local TV affiliate bought the last 1500 tickets or so, if the game had been blacked out, the station would have, back then, lost 200-300K in ad revenue, per game. It was less impactful to the bottom line to buy the tickets.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 PM

427 posts, read 947,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You do have to hand it to them it was a great way of making money w/o giving up really anything in return......
As they should.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,032 times
Gee lets see $20 or more for parking, $9 per beer, $20 or more for some food that isn't a simple hotdog, and $250 or more for a ticket all so you can sit outside in terrible weather.

Going to the game and blowing an entire months' worth of groceries and utility bills doesn't make you a dedicated fan, it makes you stupid. The NFL and their teams has gouged middle class families long enough and it had reached a breaking point. Many people would rather save all that money, stay warm, and watch it in a bar or a friends house. AND you could drink a whole case of beer for the price of 2 stadium beers.

It's hilarious how much it costs to go to a game, yet the NFL is labeled as a 'non profit organization'. That's a racket if I've ever seen one.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 PM

427 posts, read 947,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Gee lets see $20 or more for parking, $9 per beer, $20 or more for some food that isn't a simple hotdog, and $250 or more for a ticket all so you can sit outside in terrible weather.

Going to the game and blowing an entire months' worth of groceries and utility bills doesn't make you a dedicated fan, it makes you stupid. The NFL and their teams has gouged middle class families long enough and it had reached a breaking point. Many people would rather save all that money, stay warm, and watch it in a bar or a friends house. AND you could drink a whole case of beer for the price of 2 stadium beers.

It's hilarious how much it costs to go to a game, yet the NFL is labeled as a 'non profit organization'. That's a racket if I've ever seen one.
The NFL doesn't exist for middle class families, other than watching on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football