Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,630,684 times

Advertisements

I was watching both games I didn't think either coach made any glaring mistakes. Its funny because if Reid had gone conservative and lost, he would have been crucified but since he kept being aggressive and lost, he is crucified. The bottom line is, you can't lose or someone will find fault and crucify you. I also didn't see much wrong with Kelly's time management either.. but time management is not really part of his dialog. He says, time of possession means NOTHING, so time management must mean nothing as well. Why would you manage something that is so meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM

8,592 posts, read 14,764,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I was watching both games I didn't think either coach made any glaring mistakes. Its funny because if Reid had gone conservative and lost, he would have been crucified but since he kept being aggressive and lost, he is crucified. The bottom line is, you can't lose or someone will find fault and crucify you. I also didn't see much wrong with Kelly's time management either.. but time management is not really part of his dialog. He says, time of possession means NOTHING, so time management must mean nothing as well. Why would you manage something that is so meaningless.
The one really stupid thing Chip Kelly did - that ultimately lost them the game - was throwing 3 consecutive times within the red zone. You've got a 1st and 10 at the Saints 15 and McCoy in the backfield you run the freakin' ball. Instead the it was completed pass for -8 yards, sack for -11 yards, completed pass for 4 yards. 48 yard field goal - no good. THAT is how he's arrogant. He's the Jerry Jones of the Eagles. Always trying to prove he's the smartest guy in the room no matter how stupid or unconventional his decision is.

* - Edit - My apologies. He only threw twice in the red zone on that drive. The 4 yard gain was a run by McCoy.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-06-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM

8,944 posts, read 17,178,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Everyone is always a genius after the fact. This thread is evidence of that for sure.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,632,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Huh? They didn't use the last timeout to try for a game winning FG. They used it after coming out of a commercial break and then ran a pass play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
They ran the play to get into field goal range to attempt the field goal.
I was responding to your post...

Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Yeah... how can a coach be arrogant in his first year in the NFL in a game he lost in the last second?

Andy Reid tho... he has a history of poor clock management and passing too much. I know his RB's were injured but IMO I think he made a mistake resting players. KC didnt have that many quality wins this year.
Mistake resting players? What does that have to do with yesterday? They obviously weren't rusty since they dominated indy for 2 1/2 quarters, you mentioned in your post why he didn't run the ball. And again, the last timeout he used had virtually no bearing on the game.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,557,170 times
Quote:
Mistake resting players? What does that have to do with yesterday? They obviously weren't rusty since they dominated indy for 2 1/2 quarters, you mentioned in your post why he didn't run the ball. And again, the last timeout he used had virtually no bearing on the game.
I didn't say anything about the timeout..

I'm talking about the lack of runs in the second half. I know they had injuries to the RB's but McCluster was still available I believe and up 28 points you have to burn the clock.. especially on the road.

..and yes, I'm not a fan of resting players. It kills momentum... especially when you have a loss before resting your players. Let's be honest, KC started 9-0 but once they played good teams they struggled for wins.

How many times have we seen Peyton Manning rest the last game and then bounced in his first playoff game? Probably will see it happen again this weekend in Denver.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about the timeout..

I'm talking about the lack of runs in the second half. I know they had injuries to the RB's but McCluster was still available I believe and up 28 points you have to burn the clock.. especially on the road.

..and yes, I'm not a fan of resting players. It kills momentum... especially when you have a loss before resting your players. Let's be honest, KC started 9-0 but once they played good teams they struggled for wins.

How many times have we seen Peyton Manning rest the last game and then bounced in his first playoff game? Probably will see it happen again this weekend in Denver.
Again what does resting players have to do with yesterday? KC has obviously not rusty as they completely dominated Indy in the first three quarters. If you are blaming the game on Reid because they rested players the week before you are just looking for things to blame on Reid.
And McCluster? He is not a good back.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,557,541 times
The issue was our defense. Sure clock management could have been better, we could have ran the ball more, we could have been better at managing timeouts in the latter half of the 4th quarter. But that's pretty irrelevant because we gave up 28 points in the second half alone. When you go into the second half, 28 points is something you can't give up. And when your defense can give up that many points, it's clear that your defense has been figured out. So before we start getting on Andy Reid's case, we really need to take a look at how our defense has been ran. There is nothing championship about that defensive strategy. And it seems like we haven't been doing our homework. In the second game against the Broncos, Manning to Decker was the song of that game. Our man on man defense, frankly sucks and is only good against bad teams. When our pass rush doesn't work, we fall apart. It clearly shows me that our DC isn't paying attention at all to the game. We should have done our homework, and it cost us. Inexusable in a playoff game.

I personally don't blame Andy Reid. He's an offensive minded coach. He took Alex Smith and turned him into a true franchise quarterback. Look at Alex Smith in the first half of the season vs the last half. Alex Smith is a monster now, and that is mainly due to Andy Reid's system. Andy Reid is doing his job, our offense is doing their job, even our defense is doing the best they can. But our issue is BAD coaching on defense. Again, we can blame clock management, running the ball, etc all you want. But the bottomline is that if our defense was doing what they were suppose to be doing we would have never found ourselves in that situation to begin with. Do you realize that 28 points is a 4 touchdown lead? How can you let a team come back like that?

If someone isn't fired for this by the end of this week, the Chiefs front office is officially a joke.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,557,170 times
Quote:
Again what does resting players have to do with yesterday? KC has obviously not rusty as they completely dominated Indy in the first three quarters. If you are blaming the game on Reid because they rested players the week before you are just looking for things to blame on Reid.
And McCluster? He is not a good back.
Doesnt matter if he is good.... it burns clock.

KC went 2-6 down the stretch with a 2 game losing streak.....and now they have the whole off season to rest.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Doesnt matter if he is good.... it burns clock.

KC went 2-6 down the stretch with a 2 game losing streak.....and now they have the whole off season to rest.
What does this have to do with the subject at hand?
And again, you don't keep offenses off the field by running ball for no gain and going three and out which is what would have happened if reid gave the ball to some scrub running back who ran for 5 yards the whole season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football