Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Didn't one by this title so I thought I'd put it out there so people can comment as much as possible before this weekend.

I'm going with all of the home teams this weekend which should be a superb weekend of football.

Saturday, January 11
4:35 PM EST New Orleans Saints (11-5) @ Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
8:15 PM EST Indianapolis Colts (11-5) @ New England Patriots (12-4)

Sunday, January 12
1:05 PM EST San Francisco 49ers (12-4) @ Carolina Panthers (12-4)
4:40 PM EST San Diego Chargers (9-7) @ Denver Broncos(13-3)

Seahawks
Pats ( could be a tough call with all the Pats injuries )
49ers
Broncos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
I hate this round, because it's so hard to call. I was 3 and 1 last week, and I almost want to say 3 1/2 and 1 because I was non-committal on the Chargers-Bengals game, but I did lean Cincy on that one, I reckon.

Much harder week, but I'll give it a shot.

49ers beat the Panthers 20-17 on a last second field goal. Curse of the Nature Boy. Seriously, though, the Panthers offensive production has gone way down and Steve Smith's hurt. A big fan of Rivera's defense, but the 49ers defense can certainly match that of the Panthers, and they have a better offense. Won't be easy, but I like the Niners, who have become accustomed to playing in gritty games the last few weeks of the year.

Seattle will beat N.O. again. I think it'll be closer than last time. N.O. might try to mix it up and run more in the first half but I doubt they're successful. Seahawks 24-16.

New England beats Indianapolis in a game that could get really interesting late. Patriots 28-24.

San Diego will probably score 28 points against Denver. The question is, can Denver score more than 28 points on San Diego? With Welker back, I think that they can. I think it goes to overtime, and I'll take the Broncos to win it in OT. 34-28.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Saturday, January 11
4:35 PM EST New Orleans Saints (11-5) @ Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
8:15 PM EST Indianapolis Colts (11-5) @ New England Patriots (12-4)

Sunday, January 12
1:05 PM EST San Francisco 49ers (12-4) @ Carolina Panthers (12-4)
4:40 PM EST San Diego Chargers (9-7) @ Denver Broncos(13-3)

Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,581 times
Seahawks
Colts
49ers
Broncos

We get to see 49ers/Seahawks 3.0 and Peyton has to beat his old team for a Super Bowl trip.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Saints @ Seahawks. Closer than the 34-7 Seahawks win back in December, but the Seahawks still get it done by double figures
Colts @ Patriots. Primetime game. At home. With Brady & Belichick. Once again, I'll take the home team by double digits
Niners @ Panthers. By far the hardest game to pick. Both defense are great, Niners offense better than the Panthers offense, but the Panthers were able to win in Candlestick and now get the Niners across country at home. That Panthers win in Frisco was without Crabtree and with a healthy Steve Smith who will be banged up. I think a healthy Crabtree + playoff expierence will advance the Niners to round 3 and a 3rd meeting with the Seahawks.
Chargers @ Broncos. I really want to take the Chargers, I really do. They have nothing to lose while all the pressure will be on the Broncos, but for some reason I just can't get myself to pick them. I do know I'm going to kick myself to the hospital if the Chargers do indeed win this.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Saints @ Seahawks. Closer than the 34-7 Seahawks win back in December, but the Seahawks still get it done by double figures

Colts @ Patriots. Primetime game. At home. With Brady & Belichick. Once again, I'll take the home team by double digits

Niners @ Panthers. By far the hardest game to pick. Both defense are great, Niners offense better than the Panthers offense, but the Panthers were able to win in Candlestick and now get the Niners across country at home. That Panthers win in Frisco was without Crabtree and with a healthy Steve Smith who will be banged up. I think a healthy Crabtree + playoff expierence will advance the Niners to round 3 and a 3rd meeting with the Seahawks.

Chargers @ Broncos. I really want to take the Chargers, I really do. They have nothing to lose while all the pressure will be on the Broncos, but for some reason I just can't get myself to pick them. I do know I'm going to kick myself to the hospital if the Chargers do indeed win this.
The one game I just don't hesitate about is Seattle over New Orleans. It wasn't just a bad game for the Saints'; they were physically bruised and worn down over the course of the game. The Saints had one turnover that led to a score, but that's it. They would have lost anyway. I think they might catch Seattle by surprise a time or two in the first half, but the Seahawks will make the necessary adjustments and shut them down in the 2nd. It'll be close until about mid-way through the 3rd Qtr and I look for Seattle to take over after that.

The Pats - Colts match-up is intriguing because Indy has occasionally shown flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball. But the Indy defense hasn't had an impressive game against a quality opponent in quite some time. I think the Patriots are the wrong team to be playing when a team like Indy's trying to resolve its defensive inconsistencies - and it's the wrong venue and wrong time of year, too. Even so, they've got a puncher's chance with their budding superstar Andrew Luck at the helm, and I think he's the reason why this game will be interesting when it otherwise probably wouldn't be.

The Panthers held the 49ers to a point total of 9 points, which was almost the season low. But that was without all of their offensive weapons in place. Carolina scored only 10 points against the 49ers then, and they've probably gotten a little worse on offense since that time. That's why I take the 49ers. I just wonder if the Panthers don't try to get a little creative on offense. My guess is that defensive-minded teams usually don't.

In the Broncos Chargers match-up, the magic number is 28. The Chargers will probably score about 28 points - maybe more but at least that amount. If Denver can score more, they win; if they can't, then I think their chances of winning go down significantly.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Seahawks
Colts
49ers
Broncos

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I got 3 of 4 this week by choosing all the home field teams; SF 49'ers being the only team to win on the road this weekend.

So far I've got 6 of 8 in the playoffs.

On to the Conference Championships next week.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-12-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 06:21 PM

570 posts, read 721,251 times
Missed the Broncos/Chargers game

But I'm still 7-1 so far

Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
I went 3-1 this week, dropping the Panthers game. Fortunately I went 1-0 in the only game I actually cared about. I'm 5-3 in playoff picks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football