Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times

Advertisements

Why don't they have a HOF for Cheerleaders? What about adding some old geezer who had season tickets since Moses played to add a fan. For all intent the HOF is done due to rule changes which has kind of qualified football. Why not just make it entertainment friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Who would you induct for Cheerleaders?

Stacy Kiebler?!

They did have a hall of fans section within the Hall of Fame .... they inducted from 1999 - 2004 and held the exhibit until around 2009 ......... the organization that was made around that time is still active and does inductions, there just isn't any designated HOF space anymore

Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM

513 posts, read 696,037 times
Is this a serious question? I guess there could be a cheerleader squad or expert who could determine the validity of "best" cheerleader, but "best" fan is pretty objective. It would also detrimentally lessen the accomplishments of making it to the HOF

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM

I have no issues with it conceptually due to "contributor" type of things.

I actually thought the hall of fans was a pretty good exhibit - which is all that it really was. Hogette costume, barrell man costume, some names, etc ......... the fans help make the sport

Cheerleaders are tough, but I think they should be recognized to some degree. Most of them aren't with the team all that long, the pay is awful and it is really a labor of love for them and most are really good in the community.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Meh...
If you are talking about Canton, it IS the Football Hall of Fame, not the Cheerleader Hall of Fame.
Plus, not all teams have or need cheerleaders!

Maybe you can build one!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Cheerleaders? This is a joke right (and in my younger days I was one)!!! Pitt Chick is right, not all teams have cheerleaders!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM

513 posts, read 696,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I have no issues with it conceptually due to "contributor" type of things.

I actually thought the hall of fans was a pretty good exhibit - which is all that it really was. Hogette costume, barrell man costume, some names, etc ......... the fans help make the sport

Cheerleaders are tough, but I think they should be recognized to some degree. Most of them aren't with the team all that long, the pay is awful and it is really a labor of love for them and most are really good in the community.
The pay for cheerleaders is actually a lot better than most think. Their "work schedule" is very limited and they collect a much better work check than most for a day of work

Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
The pay for cheerleaders is actually a lot better than most think. Their "work schedule" is very limited and they collect a much better work check than most for a day of work
You're joking right?

The base pay is very low - typically between $50-$100 per game. Game days are very long.

The practice and appearance schedule from the team is frequently pretty intense. Also there are photoshoots, etc that they must attend.

Most of the team functions, community appearances, etc are not paid. Each team will vary in how they approach it but for the most part there isn't much money there.

Some will provide a cut on calendar sales that are actually sold by the individual cheerleader over a certain amount .... for example, the Saints would give $5 per calendar sold in excess of 100 calendars

So if they wanted to do a calendar signing or some other promo at a bar, restaurant, mall, etc they wouldn't get paid for their time and then would only receive a cut of sales after a certain # has been hit.

Most can leverage their status into some other appearance opportunities, sponsorships, etc.

It's estimated that the amount of income a cheerleader can derive from a full year of activity is in the $4k-$6k range ...... most of that is from activities outside of the actual "cheerleading"

Most aren't in it for the cash and it's a high burn industry - there are also no benefits, insurance or anything else that comes with the gig

I still remember growing up when the Buffalo cheerleaders had to buy their own outfits and cover their own travel expenses

Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
The Raiders are being sued by their cheerleaders. They are paid $1,250 for the season, withheld until the season is over.

According to the filing, Raiders cheerleaders are paid $1,250 per season, which amounts to less than $5 per hour for the time they spend rehearsing, performing and appearing at events for which they are not compensated.

The team had no comment on the lawsuit.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...theft/4782315/

So much for the idea that cheerleaders are well paid, which I highly doubt and the work schedule, personal appearances plus practices is hardly limited.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 PM

I was just about to post that as well ......... seemed timely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football