Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times

Advertisements

I've noticed through the years that a good portion (I'd say right around half) of die hard NFL fans I know have 2, sometimes 3,4, or 5 favorite teams. I've never understood this. What is the philosophy behind this? I'm guessing it is in order to have at least one winner to root for year after year?? I don't really notice this for fans of other sports. Anyway. Help me understand this.....Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times
I like Green Bay, Seattle, and Philly. Wanted Philly to go deep in playoffs. Green Bay cuz a dah discount daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaable-check. And Seattle? Beast Mode!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,076 times
I grew up in Georgia and spent 35 years there prior to moving to Seattle in 2011.

Been a Falcons fan since the days of Bartkowski. I haven't jumped on the Seattle Seahawks bandwagon yet and although this season was over in a hurry due to all the injuries and a lack of depth... I did get the last word in last season with all my trash talking friends who are Seattle fans...

Atlanta Falcons Final Drive to Beat the Seahawks

Disclaimer:

(I may just get a Russell Wilson #3 jersey for next season but I still think the Seahawks get thumped by Denver)

Last edited by Kees; 02-02-2014 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: ... typo

Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've noticed through the years that a good portion (I'd say right around half) of die hard NFL fans I know have 2, sometimes 3,4, or 5 favorite teams. I've never understood this. What is the philosophy behind this? I'm guessing it is in order to have at least one winner to root for year after year?? I don't really notice this for fans of other sports. Anyway. Help me understand this.....Thoughts?
How many die-hard NFL fans do you know? I've known of some to have two (one AFC, one NFC). I only have one fave, and I believe all other teams suck.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
yea, i think your theory is flawed. Sure there will be a few folks with several favorite teams but the majority have 1 favorite. They might pick a team to root for in a game that does not involve their favorite but that doesnt mean they have a new favorite.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,614,526 times
I only have one fave, and I believe all other teams suck.

Many teams make it to the playoffs and SB, so they can't all be bad, only in your eyes.

I love football, follow the Packers and other teams, too! I don't understand the intensity, language and hate spewed against other teams, it is just a game!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
[b] I don't understand the intensity, language and hate spewed against other teams, it is just a game!
Some people have a competitive nature... like myself. I don't like to lose and I don't like it when my team has a bad season.

At the same time though I don't lose sleep over it and it will be a cold day in hell before I start jumping up and down rooting for the Seahawks just so I can say I'm a fan of a good team.

I'm also one that likes to get the last word in... so if you want to rag me about my team having a bad year (like the majority of the Seattle fans that I call my friends have done since the loss to Atlanta last season) you can sure bet that I will give it right back to you.

One of my Seattle fan friends even said something about it last week after I picked Denver to win... "Dude why are you such a hater?"

(This same guy was the one spewing off at the mouth "Your loser Falcons blah blah" all season long)

It's just a game though!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
I was born in Kansas City and stayed there until I was 13. Then lived in Atlanta for another 20 years. I've been to Seattle and San Francisco, but I still support Kansas City Chiefs and the Falcons.

If there is every a situation that comes down to Chiefs vs Falcons, I still cheer the Chiefs.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,272 times
I have The 49ers. That's it. Till I die I will be a Niner fan and I have lived in other parts of the country but I just got my Niners!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
I'm a Cleveland Browns fan. I will always be a Browns fan first. However; I do have a soft spot for some other teams as well. Of course that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy that team's gear either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football