Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times

Advertisements

I love Peyton. One of my favorite QBs of all time.

But as a QB in the NFL, many people define your legacy by rings. Peyton only has one as of today. I heard a joke earlier, and it was funny, but true. People are calling Peyton the GROAT (greatest regular season QB of all time).

He looked so uncomfortable last night. Literally the best offense in the history of the NFL.....only scored 8 points last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The pass rush isn't quite as good but they're pretty solid considering they don't all load the box.

I think the pass rush is a little underrated on this team ... they typically don't rush more than 4, sometimes only 3 and I believe they were near the led for the NFL in pressure percentage .... not a boatload of sacks, but typically providing a good press to get the QB off their spot

What I liked last night is they knew that they weren't going to hit manning all night (he had been hit once in his 79 drop backs going into last nights game and had not been sacked in a playoff game as a Denver QB) ....... his footwork is great, his reads are great .... so they tried to apply quick pressure and try to disrupt his feet and impact his throwing motion .... they had their hands, arms near his facemask, arms and shoulders all night ..... a huge win for the DL

Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
It also helped that the Seahawks knew Peyton was incapable of delivering the ball like he used to so they jumped the short crossing routes that we all knew was going to be their game plan. It's not Peyton's fault that he isn't the player he once was but it was a factor last night. They would have been forced to play a different defense if John Elway was back there, Manning's lack of arm strength really hurt Denver.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:08 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
You seem to be exaggerating as much as anyone holding the game against him.

I have not read all the threads, but I am pretty sure no one claimed he should be sent to the XFL
XFL Status comment is just livening up the conversation with hyperbole.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
The more I think about it, honestly, I think Super Bowl XLVIII will be remembered not only as the Seahawks' first championship, but also the beginning of the end of Peyton Manning. I honestly thought he looked old out there, and my father and I both noticed that he had no zip on several of his passes. He's lost some of the feeling in his arms since his neck surgery in 2011, and he'll be 38 years old next month, so it wouldn't surprise me if next season is his last, especially now if his body is starting to break down. It's a legitimate concern, given how bad he looked yesterday.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM

113 posts, read 619,428 times
That was a rough game for the Broncos last night, but I do not think it will affect him down the road when people look back and think of the great QB's from this era.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:45 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
What made it tough for Manning, and what gives Colin K an advantage is running ability.

Seahawks play a hybrid zone/man defense in the secondary. There was one play where the defender was coming one guy while watching Manning - and as soon as the ball was thrown, peeled back to cover the intended receiver (who was open at the time) and broke up the play. Impressive. A bigger arm probably would have gotten the ball in there. But the same arm and scheme and timing produced record numbers these year. Seahawks figured it out and have the athletes to disrupt the Broncos scheme. Unfortunately, my 13 year old is faster than Manning, so he is a sitting duck for an effective pass rush, and covered receivers. Of course, if he could run, people would complain that he runs too much.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM

426 posts, read 958,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I love Peyton. One of my favorite QBs of all time.

But as a QB in the NFL, many people define your legacy by rings. Peyton only has one as of today. I heard a joke earlier, and it was funny, but true. People are calling Peyton the GROAT (greatest regular season QB of all time).

He looked so uncomfortable last night. Literally the best offense in the history of the NFL.....only scored 8 points last night.

Heard that on ESPN radio today. Someone referred to Peyton as the Most Prolific QB ever, but not greatest QB ever.

Numbers are astronomical in the regular season, but in the postseason he has a losing record, a 10-10 TD to INT ratio, early exits as the #1 seed, and turnovers at bad times. Pick 6 vs the Saint in a SB loss; game-costing pick against Baltimore in last years divisional round; Pick, Pick-6 and fumble vs Seattle. Greatest of all time? Probably not. Top 5? Sure.

That 8 points was the equivalent of NBA garbage time points, Seattle should have pitched a shutout but got sloppy.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Yeh, all parties seem to want to project this single game to galactic proportions. Me, I do NOT and never have considered Peyton "greatest of all time", but this game didn't really affect my view of him or other QBs. One game, one stadium, one weather situation. No matter how "big" the game, you can't infer more than a limited amount from that.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It also helped that the Seahawks knew Peyton was incapable of delivering the ball like he used to so they jumped the short crossing routes that we all knew was going to be their game plan. It's not Peyton's fault that he isn't the player he once was but it was a factor last night. They would have been forced to play a different defense if John Elway was back there, Manning's lack of arm strength really hurt Denver.
I'm sorry, but this is weak. Nobody was saying anything like this yesterday or all year for that matter. Manning still had quite a bit left in his tank. Sure, maybe he's no longer in his prime, but that could be said about just about any player that's taken more than three or four years of NFL punishment at just about any position.

No, what helped the Seahawks is something that apparently didn't help the other 30 or so teams in the league - great defensive talent and coaching. That's it. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football