Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

Comparing defenses between 1985 and 2013 is a waste of time. How about the 2013 Seattle D versus the 2012 Houston D. That might be closer to relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Seattle could not shut down Denver.
I imagine if Seattle had shut down Denver, the score would've been 104-0 probably?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM

8 points is close to a shutdown, when you consider how Denver torched most regular season teams. Too bad for Eli he couldn't score a single point. But his whole season sucked.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM

513 posts, read 541,105 times
Are people still using this lame reasoning??? Really???

Still looking for a Bronco player or coach who is using the "we lost more than they won" excuse....

Nope, can't find any - but then again, what would professional players and coaches know about football, right????

Why is so frightening to some people to admit Seattle is pretty damn good?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:51 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Denver's loss boils down to two big components.

1) Poor line play. Seattle got pressure with 3 and 4 man rushes. The line, as a whole, mailed it in.

2) Peyton Manning having a poor game and refusing to challenge the Seahawk's secondary.

The film does not lie. There were many plays to be made even against the Seahawk's supposedly vaunted secondary. Some times, Manning did not have the time to find the receivers. Other times, he simply took the short throws.

As a Broncos fan, I'm more aggravated now than I was before.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Peyton raised home fans hopes to unreasonable levels. If he'd score 30 or more points, even in losing, this conversation wouldn't have any legs. But 8 points? Incomprehensible.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The great Super Bowl defenses I have watched have beaten Joe Montana to a pulp, knocking him out of the Super Bowl (1986 Bears; 1985 class was good too), pounded the other teams into oblivion (2000 Ravens), manhandled Phil Simms (2002 Tampa Bay). Seattle did none of that. They were average both offensively and defensively. Sherman did nothing. Lynch did nothing. Wilson made some throws that made Mark Sanchez look good. They gave the MVP award to Smith (hell, they had to give it to someone despite no standout Seattle players), who picked off one of the worst throws I've ever seen Manning make, that ball was sooooo easy to intercept, was in the air so long my 5-year-old niece could have caught it. Even my grandmother knows you never make a throw like that, you throw it away. The stuff Denver was doing boggled the mind.

You can't compare this Sea defense to the great defenses of the past; look at the stats. Teams scored big time points on this Seattle defense most of the season. The one thing going for the Seattle defense in SB48 is that they rested (played at home) throughout the postseason. They were fresh. But in SB48 Seattle played an average game against a Denver team that played like it was 2-14. The Broncos did everything wrong, the first snap, they didn't tackle, they had horrible kicks and returns, players were dropping balls left and right. This was not because Seattle was so good. This was because Denver was so badly coached.

The first snap is undeniably the worst, most embarrassing play in the history of the Super Bowl. Denver panicked like a Pee Wee league team and checked out after that first play. It's easy to play defense when the team on the other side is checked out. When you have receivers dropping balls, punters making crap kicks, Peyton Manning making the worst throws he's made in his career, players essentially giving the ball away, giving the game away. John Fox should be fired. I would rather never make it to the Super Bowl than to make it and then give the game away like his team did. He should be ashamed.

I'm happy for Seattle, it's such a great city. But their team got an easy ring.
I just have to ask? What? Simms had been retired about 10 years at this point...

Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM

"Lynch did nothing". How is that a statement about the Seattle defense?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
"Lynch did nothing". How is that a statement about the Seattle defense?
Also, he doesn't have to do "something" when his team leads by 30 points. It's called tactics. He had to do something when his team was losing (against San Francisco) and he did it perfectly.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Also, he doesn't have to do "something" when his team leads by 30 points. It's called tactics. He had to do something when his team was losing (against San Francisco) and he did it perfectly.
He's "all about the action, Boss".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football