Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times

Advertisements

I like the guy alot.. I think he is great and a class act. I do think this is an issue that must be addressed. In your mind, would you think lesser of Manning if he lost next week or Superbowl and was unimpressive or mediocre in the game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
No, I don't think so. What if he is unimpressive or mediocre and the Broncos still win.. ? Ala Tom Brady last week! Does that hurt his legacy? I put wins and losses on the team, not the QB. That's the way it should be.. not sure why we equate wins and losses to QBs, like Brady has beaten Manning 10 out of 14.. ? really? So when Brady drops back to throw a TD Pass, its Manning rushing from the edge or its Manning covering his WR? HUH? NO, Manning is on the bench looking at defensive alignment snap shots while Brady is on the field throwing game winning TDs. If anything, it should be Brady vs the Colts or Brady vs the Broncos.. not Brady vs Manning. That is just silly hype that you guys all buy into!

I think all Peyton can do this week and in the Super Bowl if the Broncos are able to get that far is elevate his status, I don't think he can harm his status with a sub par performance, at least not in my eyes. Certainly some folks will use a poor performance as justification to label him a choke artists and such but that's just silly. I have seen Peyton play great in the biggest games. He was the Super Bowl MVP. It doesn't get any bigger than that. The AFC Championship game prior to that Super Bowl MVP game, the Colts were down 21-3 to the Pats... 21-3 and he brought them back to win the game! Does every one simply think that game and the subsequent Super Bowl are just anomalies? No... they are not.. sometimes the other team is better and nothing the QB can do about it..

The issue with his performance in big games often boils down to him playing on the lesser team. When that happens, he tends to try and do too much to make up for other team deficiencies and it looks bad on him and his stat line. I would rather Peyton go out and throw 3 picks trying to win the game vs him going out and trying to keep his stat line clean, to preserve his legacy... that's just dumb!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
No, not at all. There are always those that harp on playoff wins, SBs, not the way a player should be looked at in his long term legacy. People are way too hung up on stats and playoff wins. Peyton will always be at the top in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Isn't that already the knock on him? Why would it hurt him more?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
It might, but it shouldn't. He's proven that he can make any team he plays for competitive, and he's proven that with the right personnel and coaching, he can win a championship. There's not much more left he can prove. What separates the merely good QBs from great ones is consistency. I think he's proven to be consistently exceptional. Whether he leaves the game with three, two, or only one title doesn't matter.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
If we judge solely on Playoff wins and or Super Bowls, wouldn't Jim Plunkett be considered better than Peyton Manning. In fact, Plunkett would be one of the greatest QBs of all time, he is 8-2 in the playoffs including 2 Super Bowls..

You have to look at the entire package..

It's not like Manning is 0 for 22 in the playoffs or something ridiculous like that.. his teams are 10-11.. he has thrown 34 TDs and 22 ints.. his completion percentage is over 63%. He has had some monster playoff games and a couple forgettable ones as has every QB that ever played in more than there fair share of playoff games..

Last edited by mco65; 01-14-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Nope. Still a future Hall of Famer.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:17 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
When I think of someone who really chokes in big games, I think of someone like Tony Romo. TR's a guy who has indisputably cost his team games with just bad decision making. If you want a less extreme example, then you could mention Brett Favre, a great and accomplished QB, but someone who occasionally tried to do too much with the football and cost his team.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Good example, and people do tend to zero in on certain things rather than look at the big picture. Favre was fun to watch, but with the gun slinger mentality you get some issues!

As much as I like Rodgers, he is too aware of the INTs, holds the ball too long because he doesn't want that statistic and hates having a pick six! Sitting behind Favre, watching, left that imprinted on his brain! A little off topic, sorry!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
That is just silly hype that you guys all buy into!
This.

What if the Pats lose the Superbowl... again? Then you can say Billicheat and spygate.

What if the 9ers lose again?

What if Seattle goes again and loses... again?

Why don't we just start a thread about each and every player on the remaining four teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football