Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times

Advertisements

Well it's here. A few months ago, I had a thread titled, "Would it Matter". (Mod edit-sentence deleted)

Michael Sam will be in this year's NFL draft. He is projected to go in the middle rounds.
Yesterday he told the nation that he is gay.

If he were on your team, would you root for him?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-10-2014 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Talking about moderation is against TOS

Old 02-10-2014, 04:18 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,893 times
Of course.

His sexuality means absolutely nothing on the field. It's what he can contribute that matters.

Although he's going to be under heavy pressure by the media.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
He's a good football player. It does not matter to me WHAT he does in his bedroom.

I fail to see whay this is news...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
He's a good football player. It does not matter to me WHAT he does in his bedroom.

It's news because he is the first to openly admit it. If he is drafted by the NFL, and we'll see IF he is drafted, he will be the ground breaker. The second player will probably not be remembered.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
If he were on your team, would you root for him?
Yes, because I don't care.

And, before it gets out of control, can we stop with the "I don't see why this is news" stuff. If you don't understand the subject matter, just leave it alone.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Would you root for him, is already assuming something in the slant of the remark. You are looking for people to say yay or nay but not based on his football ability. To me, it is a non issue, saying you wouldn't cheer for someone on your favorite team because they are gay is sad and pathetic. Considering Today, GMA have already jumped on it, will be a media feeding frenzy right up to the combine, like the T'eo story.

I would think the previous post got deleted because of the direction of the comments not the moderator didn't want to talk about it.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

I will try to explain this to you;
A gay athletes has two choices;

1st choice; a life of deception trying to conceal who or what they actually are. Could you imagine how the media would run with a story of a closeted gay athlete was spotted at a gar bar? Just look at the speculation that surrounded Aaron Rodgers when he was spotted several times in public with the same man and no women.

2nd choice; put it all out there and allow the athlete to live his or her private life as they seem fit and not worry about rumors.

Blame the media, not the athlete.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I will try to explain this to you;
A gay athletes has two choices;

1st choice; a life of deception trying to conceal who or what they actually are. Could you imagine how the media would run with a story of a closeted gay athlete was spotted at a gar bar? Just look at the speculation that surrounded Aaron Rodgers when he was spotted several times in public with the same man and no women.

2nd choice; put it all out there and allow the athlete to live his or her private life as they seem fit and not worry about rumors.

Blame the media, not the athlete.
I think based on the way he explained his reasoning for announcing this, I believe it is reasonable for him to announce this. The reason why I say this is because he stated that many people around him already knew and speculation was starting to get out there. It appears that he did not want this to become a distraction going into the draft. Having to answer to rumors would probably make things more stressful then it has to be for him as well as the team. At least now, the teams can make a decision knowing what they may be in for.

With that said, there has already been reports that several owners anonymously stated that this will hurt his draft stock. Certainly it would seem like this shouldn't be a big deal, but it is and the dynamics of this situation should not be minimized. You have to consider what your locker room environment will be like, how much of a distraction this ultimately may become to your team and if he is even good enough to make it all worth it. I think that is the problem with this situation. People will analyze it to death. They will assume, that if he doesn't get picked that teams must have issues against gays and there likely won't be much discussion about the merit of his athletic talents. It creates a catch 22 for the NFL and the owners that have to deal with this.

I will put it like this. If I am an owner, I have to consider more than just this young man's talent. Do I think my team can handle the distraction that will come along with this? Is it really worth going through for a guy that may not even be an NFL starter?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Well it's here. A few months ago, I had a thread titled, "Would it Matter". (Mod edit-sentence deleted)
A quick note here. I admittedly pulled the plug on that thread early (it was several months ago.) There are several reasons that go into a decision of a thread being shut down, one of which would be people MFing each other. And since I've been modding this sub forum, I've put several controversial threads as *stickies.* I won't do that here though.

Stay on topic. No personal attacks.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic toast View Post

and, before it gets out of control, can we stop with the "i don't see why this is news" stuff. If you don't understand the subject matter, just leave it alone.

yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football