Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times

Advertisements

I heard that they are trying extra points from the thirty in the NFL. I don't understand why they are doing it and I do not like that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I heard that they are trying extra points from the thirty in the NFL. I don't understand why they are doing it and I do not like that idea.
what about 2 pt conversions? would they still be run from the 2 yd line? I'd probably go ahead and fake a 2-point conversion and then kick it from there instead.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
The current extra point is kinda pointless/boring, it's a gimme. Maybe move the 2 point conversion and extra point to the 15.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:14 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
The current extra point is kinda pointless/boring, it's a gimme. Maybe move the 2 point conversion and extra point to the 15.
For once I agree with Goddell, the extra point is now a complete waste of time. Bu why move the 2 pt back to the 15 when the conversion rate is only 50/50 from where it is currently? Why make it close to impossible to convert??

Old 04-20-2014, 11:36 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
The try for a single point should have a success rate of approximately 90% - that's low enough to keep some interest in it.

However, in so doing the success rate for two-point tries should be no higher than 45% (half of the success rate for the try for a single point - the try for two is a gamble and should have commensurately longer odds). Since the two-point conversion was introduced to the NFL 1994, that is in fact the 20-year success rate (45%), but as the game has become more offense-oriented in that time, the success rate has crept up towards 50% as of late, being lower than 45% in the early years of the rule.

As such, the try for two should be moved back as well, but just to bump the success rate down slightly - to the two-and-a-half or three-yard line should do the trick.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
The NFL is trying ot keep the game exciting and the extra point kick is such a gimme that I guess they think people either head for another beer or change the channel. On occasion they are blocked or the attempt itself is fudged which makes for a mad scramble which is exciting. On some occasions extra points are dangerous the Patriots Rob Gronkowski broke his arm during one. I think that was kinda freaky though.
Kickers are so good and have such a high percentage rate of success that the NFL figures if they move it back it might make it a bit more challenging.
I say move the extra point kick back, it might give us more blocked ones.
As for the 2 point conversion leave it alone. I don't think enough teams make them.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what about 2 pt conversions? would they still be run from the 2 yd line? I'd probably go ahead and fake a 2-point conversion and then kick it from there instead.
You would not get any points for that under the new rule.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
The extra point was always intended to be pretty much a give-me. The concept of the extra point came in the early development of football when they decided there should be some way to insure that a touchdown was worth more than 2 field goals. The extra point was never meant to be challenging. Also kicking the point from a different distance than what a 2 point conversion would be attempted takes away any possibility of the fake extra point for the 2 point conversion. I say leave it alone as it is.

There are rule changes I would love to see but this is not one of them.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:12 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
I've mentioned this before, but I'll give it another shot.

How about eliminating the held place kick for the extra point, and replacing it with the drop kick?

Old 04-20-2014, 06:54 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The extra point was always intended to be pretty much a give-me. The concept of the extra point came in the early development of football when they decided there should be some way to insure that a touchdown was worth more than 2 field goals. The extra point was never meant to be challenging. Also kicking the point from a different distance than what a 2 point conversion would be attempted takes away any possibility of the fake extra point for the 2 point conversion. I say leave it alone as it is.
Well if this is case, they should just make the touchdown 7 points(and you could go for 2 and if you missed get 6). I would be ok with that solution. I do know that the extra point is just a wasted play that takes up time as it is.
But the bolded is false, when extra points were kicked many years ago they were far from automatic. IN 1974 the percentage of extra points made were 90%. That is much lower than today, and they were even lower when the extra point was put in the 1930-1940s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football