Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
To me, they are two of the same over the last 20 years. If anything, the Raiders are a bit ahead of the 'Skins, they did have a Super Bowl appearance 14 years ago! And I'd take the Ca Bay Area over DC any day! Yeah, I really hate Danny Boy Snyder! My fan hood has turn into a strong hatred of the 'Skins as long as he's the owner!
You should hear the talk coming from major sport talking heads here in DC about Dan Synder. It is brutal. And it is about time. I've said it for years, Snyder is the constant in this bad organization. And I'll say it again, don't blame the coaches, players, waterboys. Stop talking about draft choices, new coaches, players etc.. Talk about the disease that has ruined this team. Dan Snyder's purchase of the Washington Redskins should never have been allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You should hear the talk coming from major sport talking heads here in DC about Dan Synder. It is brutal. And it is about time. I've said it for years, Snyder is the constant in this bad organization. And I'll say it again, don't blame the coaches, players, waterboys. Stop talking about draft choices, new coaches, players etc.. Talk about the disease that has ruined this team. Dan Snyder's purchase of the Washington Redskins should never have been allowed.
You and I are on the same exact page! Nowadays, I just want him to keep failing over and over, it's rather humorous since I stopped caring or being emotionally attached to this team. I am glad that the local talking heads are finally coming around because he owns most of the local radio stations and used to pretty much control all the media coverage.

In my opinion, Washington should be #1 ahead of Oakland on this list. If I were a NFL players, I'd NEVER want to play for that carpet bagger, Danny Snyder!

Old 12-31-2014, 02:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The Packers are on because of weather and area. I think most players would want to play for the team but to suffer miserably in that remote area offsets any desire to play for the Packers...

To be honest, players today are spoiled and Green Bay just can't spoil them way other major NFL cities can.
I'm pretty sure I understand the logic concerning the weather but could you elaborate on what specifically is wrong with the area? Is it Green Bay in general or does it involve a larger area? I've heard they got good cheese so it can't be that.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:49 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm pretty sure I understand the logic concerning the weather but could you elaborate on what specifically is wrong with the area? Is it Green Bay in general or does it involve a larger area? I've heard they got good cheese so it can't be that.
Nothing wrong with Green Bay but young athletes would prefer to be around larger cities with more to do... more of a night life than want you find in Green Bay. Which shines a lite on just how spoiled many of them are. There are literally thousands of young football players deemed not good enough for the NFL who would play in Green Bay or anywhere for half of what some over righteous a-holes wouldn't play for double. It really underscores just how selfish and spoiled some of these players are! And yet, we worship them as if they were god himself come to earth to save all our souls...

Anyway, i am off the subject. Bottom line is, Green Bay is too cold and there is just not enough to do for young men under the age of 30... JMO of course. So if they have a choice, and some do... they wouldn't play there...

Last edited by mco65; 12-31-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 02:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
I figured Green Bay would be higher. If you've ever been to that area, there is nothing to do in Green Bay. There's a reason that city shutdowns during Packer games. Nothing else going on. It's a small city that's not close to any major city. Most young athletes don't want to live in a semi-rural area. I'm in my 30's and I still crave a nightlife. Green Bay has no nightlife.

With the exception of Oakland, all of these are not surprising. They are not attractive cities. Ever been to Jacksonville or Cleveland? Bleck. You couldn't pay me enough to live in either of those places. Same with Buffalo. I've been twice and I didn't care for it. Harsh winters and it being a gloomy blue collar town. There is just nothing attractive about it.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I'm not really. Wisconsin has a high income tax, I've heard that plays a part, weather, not a metropolitan area, pretty much a strict routine, rules, without a great deal of leeway. The players they have better buy in and it is home grown. Of the current 53, I think 48 started with the Packers. They are a true draft and develop team, in the top 10 youngest rosters every year. When I think of some of the players on other teams, no way would they be on this team.
I'm skeptical of this. In a league where Sport Illistrated found that 78% of retired players have frittered away their six-, seven- and eight-figure salaries to the point of bankruptcy within two years of retirement, I doubt too many players are worrying about such fine points as income tax rates. And to turn things around, I'm extremely skeptical of the idea that any player would choose Green Bay over San Diego, San Francisco or New York because the top marginal income tax rates are lower in Wisconsin than in California or New York.

I think your other points are relevant - the weather, and the fact that such a small city simply lacks the cultural options that every other NFL (and for that matter, MLB, NBA and NHL) metropolitan area has to offer.

I know those would be the major factors if I was an established professional athlese hitting free agency.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I think it has alot to do with the areas. I don't think players mind playing in Green Bay. Living there is a different story. Oakland, while still a terrible franchise right now, is still not a bad area to live in.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:34 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
This is a BS list. These players should just be happy they were even given the talent to make it to the NFL level. Spoiled children, the whole lot, and many NFL coaches are not that far behind.

Then again, I find it humorous to see Green Bay and Buffalo on the same list, for different reasons of course.

The things I'd do for just 1/10 of Marshawn Lynch's annual salary would make me look like a depraved and unholy sick twist. Yet, the guy seems quite unhappy with the NFL life and what comes with it.

These players live in a different world people. Don't try to understand it.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:53 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Being in Florida, and in a state with no state taxes didn't save Jacksonville.

Some of these NFL players are just like anyone else, if you could actually chose where you would want to work, you might not pick the Raiders. As some people have pointed out here, you wouldn't play for the Redskins. Yes, some people are happy to just be able to play, but if you could pick where you could play, Oakland isn't high on the list.

If you were an NFL player, where would you want to play? Heck, do you like where you work in your real job right now? Not everyone does.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I am shocked that the Packers are on this list but the dreadful Redskins aren't!
Green bay is the smallest NFL market. Also add to the fact that there not as much to do in Green Bay compared to other cities like Washington DC and San Diego. Being a very small city with extremely cold weather and a small amount of amenities isn't going to be favorable to a lot of players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football