Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I like Jim Harbaugh (and his brother as well) but he has to be one of the whinniest coaches in pro sports. Shouldn't complain about bringing your checkers mindset to a chess match.
I ****ing loathe John Harbaugh, and it's not just because he coaches for the Ravens. At least Brian Billick had his endearing moments, and knew how to make fun of himself. John Harbaugh is just a sniveling little prick. He's Jeff Fisher with a ring. I don't like the Patriots, but I'm glad they won last night.

Being a Harbaugh is an inherent character flaw.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
What is there to hate about John Harbaugh? Jim can be a bit aggressive and unlikeable at times, but John is a great speaker who thanks journalists for coming to conferences, is all smiles, praises the other teams, and gets his players to keep most of their hatred for certain players/teams private. He's also a pretty successful football coach.

Billick was awful after he won that SB. A supposed offensive mastermind who couldn't get anything working when he had one of the best defenses in the NFL for many years. A much less likeable guy than Harbaugh in press conferences too.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Get over it, Brady and Co just flat out made the Ravens, coaches and players look foolish once again which is a good thing.

Ravens should not be whining, they have played dirty for years and got away with it.
One could say they've been getting away with murder.

(Unlike the Pats).

Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 11,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
What is there to hate about John Harbaugh? Jim can be a bit aggressive and unlikeable at times, but John is a great speaker who thanks journalists for coming to conferences, is all smiles, praises the other teams, and gets his players to keep most of their hatred for certain players/teams private. He's also a pretty successful football coach.

Billick was awful after he won that SB. A supposed offensive mastermind who couldn't get anything working when he had one of the best defenses in the NFL for many years. A much less likeable guy than Harbaugh in press conferences too.
Bellicheck came up as a DEFENSIVE coach (DB's, Def Coordinator), not Offense

Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Yeah but you have to keep a close eye on the chess pieces when you play Belichick.
i agree with that sentiment. belichick will keep you on your toes.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:08 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
The rules state that if the offense makes a substitution, the defense is allowed time to make a substitution to match the players the offense has on the field. By making a receiver ineligible they have in effect changed a player from a receiver to a lineman.

I don't understand the rules enough to know why they have to declare the player ineligible, but my guess is that they have to or they would get a penalty for an illegal lineup.

By the Pats doing that and quickly snapping the ball they Ravens had no chance to substitute a player to match the new lineup. If it was a legal move on Belicheck's part, why didn't he use it after Harbaugh complained? The refs didn't have a clue. The NFL will have to rule on it for the future.

Word has it Belicheck may retire and become an ambulance chaser in his next career move.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:14 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The rules state that if the offense makes a substitution, the defense is allowed time to make a substitution to match the players the offense has on the field. By making a receiver ineligible they have in effect changed a player from a receiver to a lineman.

I don't understand the rules enough to know why they have to declare the player ineligible, but my guess is that they have to or they would get a penalty for an illegal lineup.

By the Pats doing that and quickly snapping the ball they Ravens had no chance to substitute a player to match the new lineup. If it was a legal move on Belicheck's part, why didn't he use it after Harbaugh complained? The refs didn't have a clue. The NFL will have to rule on it for the future.

Word has it Belicheck may retire and become an ambulance chaser in his next career move.
By all admissions after the game, it was played within the rules of the game. The only fault here would be either the rule book itself or how the officials handled it. From what I read, it was declared and announced, and the Ravens did not react appropriately, meaning it was a part of the rule book they knew nothing about. It's what makes Belichick so good in finding a wrinkle.

Yes, the NFL will have to decide if a change will be necessary, as they will have to with the Dez Bryant reversal. This is a fast and complicated game. One must be studious.

And why didn't they do it again? Because now Harbaugh knew. Just like pulling out Edelmen's first ever pass attempt.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I hope Indy studies the play and uses it against the Pats. Unless of, course the NFL makes changes in the allowance of the tactic, in which case the Ravens and Harbaugh will be vindicated for complaining about it.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Wand View Post
Bellicheck came up as a DEFENSIVE coach (DB's, Def Coordinator), not Offense
C'mon son. I said Billick. All those years in Minnesota with Carter and even Moss at the end, and he comes in to Baltimore and can barely put 20 points on the board. He still did some good things in 2000 obviously, but he lost the players by 2006. In 2006, the Ravens had one of the greatest defenses ever, and held the great Manning to 5 field goals in the playoffs, but they couldn't do anything on offense.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I hope Indy studies the play and uses it against the Pats. Unless of, course the NFL makes changes in the allowance of the tactic, in which case the Ravens and Harbaugh will be vindicated for complaining about it.
How much was it Harbaugh complaining? All I saw was him responding to a question from journalists about why he approached the officials on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football