Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's Going to Win Super Bowl 49 (Feb 1, 2015)
New England Patriots 56 49.56%
Seattle Seahawks 57 50.44%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,263,213 times

Advertisements

For an entirely lame reason, my thoughts for why I believe the Patriots will win has changed.

Athletes are competitors. Underdog talk has been around forever, fueling victories sometimes out of pure will and determination. In the case of the Super Bowl, just looking at these two teams which in my opinion are the two best teams in the league, for the players on the Patriots this is pure motivation with the current story.

Regardless of any advantage or edge talk, the Patriots are legitimately an excellent team as are the Seahawks. Deflate Gate is a big story, and as far as that fuel is concerned, the timing is perfect for the Patriots players. Sadly for the fans the focus isn't on the game right now but on a scandal. But players work hard and sacrifice themselves, and with everything else the Patriots have riding into this game (please, let's leave cheating out of this - other thread for it) being the 4th ring or a legacy or sticking it to the detractors, I really think this gives them an edge.

Of course I may be wrong and we could see a Super Bowl like last year, which I highly doubt. I think this will be a tough hard fought game with the Patriots coming out on top.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,675 times
My hunch about this game is that the Patriots will strike and put Seattle on the ropes early but won't get the knockout. The Seahawks will weather the storm and gradually take control of the game as it gets into the second half. If the Pats can convert TDs in the red zone in the first half, then that improves their chances. But they will probably have a harder time pounding the ball inside than Seattle will. In predicting sports winners, I go with the team that is more likely to take advantage of percentages. A team that can run the football to get 3rd and short or take it into the end zone has a better chance of winning. They don't always win, but they have a better chance.

For this reason, I'll take Seattle. I think the Pats get out to an early one or two field goal lead, but Seattle starts wearing them out. I'm looking at the games against Green Bay. The Pats had some trouble running the ball against the Packers and had a hard time stopping Lacy. The Seahawks, on the other hand, seemed to be very stingy against Lacy and Lynch ran wild in the second half. A big part of the Pats success centers on the running game. They've got a good running game, but to beat Seattle, you've got to own the line. I don't see the Pats owning the line. Seattle, maybe 20-16. If Belichick and Brady can get creative and fool Seattle on a red zone play or two, then the Pats would have a chance, but I like Seattle.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,172,508 times
You cant stop em. Pats are on a roll this time .

The SB will be like Ravens Vs. Patriots.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,595,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
For an entirely lame reason, my thoughts for why I believe the Patriots will win has changed.

Athletes are competitors. Underdog talk has been around forever, fueling victories sometimes out of pure will and determination. In the case of the Super Bowl, just looking at these two teams which in my opinion are the two best teams in the league, for the players on the Patriots this is pure motivation with the current story.

Regardless of any advantage or edge talk, the Patriots are legitimately an excellent team as are the Seahawks. Deflate Gate is a big story, and as far as that fuel is concerned, the timing is perfect for the Patriots players. Sadly for the fans the focus isn't on the game right now but on a scandal. But players work hard and sacrifice themselves, and with everything else the Patriots have riding into this game (please, let's leave cheating out of this - other thread for it) being the 4th ring or a legacy or sticking it to the detractors, I really think this gives them an edge.

Of course I may be wrong and we could see a Super Bowl like last year, which I highly doubt. I think this will be a tough hard fought game with the Patriots coming out on top.
I think the Seahawks enjoy playing the under dog role as well even if they have to make it up in their heads like the Patriots typically have to do. I think Pete Carroll is a master motivator. Russell Wilson will always have a chip on his shoulder because of his size. Lynch, is Lynch and basically just crazy. And their entire receiving core is a bunch of no names who feel disrespected.

I am sure it is refreshing though for the Patriots to finally not be overwhelming favorites in the Super Bowl after losing the last two.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,252,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
You cant stop em. Pats are on a roll this time .

The SB will be like Ravens Vs. Patriots.

if the the SB will be like the Ravens vs Patriots.........Seattle will win......Seattle has superior defense than the 2014 Ravens and a better running game.

if Forsette rushed for 130 yards on the Pats defense, what do you think Lynch is going to do?........if Flacco had time to score 31 points on the Pats defense and pass for close to 300 yards what do you think Wilson can do given that much time?

you think Brady will score 35 points and pass for 367 yards against the #1 pass defense in the NFL?........Ravens are ranked #23 in the pass defense.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,631,919 times
I think the biggest worry for the Pat's was the Hawks last game, they stunk the place up for most of the game..! That team that played the Packers was not the Seahawks for 55 minutes.
Even thought they said it wouldn't effect them, they let the fact it should have been a blowout go to their heads and they didn't show up to play. They thought it was going to be a walk over.
They were treated to a rude awakening and I don't think that will happen again, they will go into this game with both barrels loaded and take no prisoners.
Don't judge the outcome of the SB by the team you saw playing the Packers...

Last edited by Nayabone; 01-22-2015 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM

1,069 posts, read 708,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

you think Brady will score 35 points and pass for 367 yards against the #1 pass defense in the NFL?........Ravens are ranked #23 in the pass defense.
NE may not need 35 pts to win, Seattle only scored an average of 25 pts per game

Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,093,571 times
how many did they score against Denver last February?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM

1,069 posts, read 708,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
how many did they score against Denver last February?
Let's take the outlier as opposed to the average....lol....yeah, that makes sense

Old 01-22-2015, 12:51 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,155,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Who who who....please say Seahawks!

I'd love to tell ya'

But I never tip my hand, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.